Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- The Squire Line Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- The Squire Line         Reply with quote

In response to requests from our customers for a line of more affordable, but still traditionally constructed and quality swords, Albion is proud to announce a new line -- The Albion Mark Squire Line -- designed by Peter Johnsson with the beginner, reenactor and practitioner of the Western Martial Arts in mind.

These swords will be based on Peter Johnsson's research and on our experience with the NextGen Line, but will have a more economical and utilitarian finish on both the blade and hilt components. The blades will have the same attention to geometry found in the NextGen line, but with subtle changes to account for the flat edges. The hilt components will be more simple in style, but still true to their historical period. As a result, these swords will make excellent "practice" swords for their counterparts in the NextGen line.

All swords will be hot peened and have a simple black leather-wrapped grip. The swords will not be made sharp, but will have "flat" edges suitable for reenactment and swordplay exercise. The swords can, however, be sharpened for cutting practice at a small additional charge.

As with all Albion swords, these swords will be guaranteed against defects in materials and workmanship.

We are working toward the release of these models in the early Fall of this year. All swords in this line will be priced under $400.

Thus far in the development, this is what the Squire line will look like:

The Viking (Type H hilt, one piece pommel, Geibig 4 blade) -- $300
13th C Knightly Sword (Type XII) -- $300
15th C Bastard Sword (Type XVa) -- $350
13th C Great Sword (Type XIIa) -- $350

These swords are available for advance reservation. I hope to have concept drawings available soon. Because of the bare bones prices on these swords, they will most likely never go on sale and cannot be included in other promotions.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Steve Fabert

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like a tremendous idea. Will this result in the discontinuance of some of the First Gen swords, or will you then have all three lines available at the same time?
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Sounds like a tremendous idea. Will this result in the discontinuance of some of the First Gen swords, or will you then have all three lines available at the same time?

Most decisions regarding the FirstGens will depend on their continued popularity. We have discontinued a few and may discontinue others if sales fall for these models, but for the moment at least, this is an addition, not a replcaement.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Tom Wegener

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic news Mr.Waddell ,

I am sure that this new line of swords will bring Albion a whole new line of customers who can see what a great product you are producing . This will also I'm sure increase the overall sales of your other lines of swords as more and more people find out about you .

Good luck and best wishes on your new endeavor .
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Wegener wrote:
Fantastic news Mr.Waddell ,

I am sure that this new line of swords will bring Albion a whole new line of customers who can see what a great product you are producing . This will also I'm sure increase the overall sales of your other lines of swords as more and more people find out about you .

Good luck and best wishes on your new endeavor .

Thanks, Tom!

Albion Swords Ltd
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard,
This is a great concept. An answer to the feces which is the lower-end sword market! I'd almost be tempted as I am wary to use my current and future Next Gen's for cutting. So could you guys put a true sword edge on these of would it be a secondary bevel? Jeremy
R. Laine

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sounds absolutely magnificent!

However, there is one question I'd like to ask if I may. Has adding a longer (blade length in the 37 inch range) single hander to the line ever been considered? There might be a market (a somewhat small one, but still) for similar swords (especially if fitted with a basket of some kind - heck, a piece of sheet metal hammered to the shape of a basket would do) among the practioners of Silver's system; at the moment, the only way to aquire such a sword is to go custom, as far as I know.

Rabbe

Edit: Gah, why is it that I can't form a single halfway-sensible sentance anymore?

Last edited by R. Laine on Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I presume this line will work for stage combat, as well as reenactment. If so, I will likely buy one, either the XIIa or XVa.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- The Squire Line         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

These swords will be based on Peter Johnsson's research and on our experience with the NextGen Line, but will have a more economical and utilitarian finish on both the blade and hilt components. The blades will have the same attention to geometry found in the NextGen line, but with subtle changes to account for the flat edges. The hilt components will be more simple in style, but still true to their historical period. As a result, these swords will make excellent "practice" swords for their counterparts in the NextGen line.

Best,

Howy

Hi Howard,

This might have been addressed elsewhere, but when you cut mats with the NextGens, did you make scratches on the blade that were not removable with the simple gray pad/oil scrubbing technique. My guess is you did not cratch the blade, but I would like some conformation. In other words, is the finish on the NextGens too fine for cutting practices (with normal cutting medium)? Again, my guess is that they should be OK, but what are the direct observations after actually cutting?

The "Squire line" is still a wonderful idea as a cheaper sword will alow practitioners to do steel on steel practices and be more adventurous (hopefully without getting in to attempts to cut iron chains and locks, helmets and other things that were not meant to be cut with a sword) in their cutting practices.

Looking forward to the concept drawings.

Alexi
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- The Squire Line         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

Hi Howard,

This might have been addressed elsewhere, but when you cut mats with the NextGens, did you make scratches on the blade that were not removable with the simple gray pad/oil scrubbing technique. My guess is you did not cratch the blade, but I would like some conformation. In other words, is the finish on the NextGens too fine for cutting practices (with normal cutting medium)? Again, my guess is that they should be OK, but what are the direct observations after actually cutting?

The "Squire line" is still a wonderful idea as a cheaper sword will alow practitioners to do steel on steel practices and be more adventurous (hopefully without getting in to attempts to cut iron chains and locks, helmets and other things that were not meant to be cut with a sword) in their cutting practices.

Alexi

We have never had a problem with the finish on the NextGens from cutting mats. In fact, we have cut barrel edges and had only minor rehoning and refinishing.

The Squire line finish will be just a little more "rough and ready" (though still finer than you will find on most swords in the price range) because it requires fewer steps in the grinding process, and thus vastly cheaper to produce (labor is our most costly factor, so anything that reduces the hand work results in a substantial savings).

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Howard,
This is a great concept. An answer to the feces which is the lower-end sword market! I'd almost be tempted as I am wary to use my current and future Next Gen's for cutting. So could you guys put a true sword edge on these of would it be a secondary bevel? Jeremy

Because of the grinding process changes to keep these affordable, a secondary bevel will have to be used on these.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rabbe Jan-Olof Laine wrote:
That sounds absolutely magnificent!

However, there is one question I'd like to ask if I may. Has adding a longer (blade length in the 37 inch range) single hander to the line ever been considered? There might be a market (a somewhat small one, but still) for similar swords (especially if fitted with a basket of some kind - heck, a piece of sheet metal hammered to the shape of a basket would do) among the practioners of Silver's system; at the moment, the only way to aquire such a sword is to go custom, as far as I know.

Rabbe

Edit: Gah, why is it that I can't form a single halfway-sensible sentance anymore?

I'll let Peter and Eric respond to this -- we are going to keep the numbers of models in this Line small, but this may be something to consider.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: GReat Idea         Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing them.

Hopefully the pommels will be very grip friendly since the line seems to be designed for practice more than collection.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- The Squire Line         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

Hi Howard,

Alexi

Alexi,

While at Albion last year I had the opportunity to cut with several of the Next Gen. and Museum Line prototypes. I have also done some cutting with my own Next Gens. I haven't experienced any scratching of the blades. Nothing more than a wipe-down with an oiled cloth has been needed. This is, of course, assuming that the appropriate cutting mediums are used.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another excellent marketing concept by the folks at Albion!

Howy, you're quickly becoming the one-stop-shopping center for all things european sword related. Kind of like Wal-Mart.

Is a name change for Albion in the future?

Howy-Mart perhaps?

Laughing Out Loud

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This IS great news indeed! This will allow those of us on a very limited budget to finally own
one of Albion's fabulous blades.
Look forward to seeing the concepts, mainly the Bastard piece.

Thanks a heep!

William
aka Bill
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howie - you say that there will be a limited number of models for the Squire line. With those four, you have the spectrum pretty well covered. If you are going to add a couple more -

Assuming that your singlehand XII will have a relatively short blade, maybe add a Xa or XIX (ha!) with a 33-34 inch blade.

A longsword with a robusticity (is that a word?) between the XIIa and the XVa - perhaps an XVIIIa or b.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent! Big Grin

I think this definately fills the nitch that many of us have been looking for. A high quality historically accurate training tool at a reasonalble cost is a must for any serious WMA practitioner Big Grin

Thanks again Howy!.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree, great move. But I still cant afford it, right now I'm thrashing 100$ czech sword.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think a good direction to go with this line may be to attach each sword with a style. For example, a mortuary hilt for Silver, a 15th century longsword for Ringeck/Fiore, a XIV for 1.33, an XIIa for Harlien and so on. Happy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- The Squire Line
Page 1 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: