Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

I'd only wear one I'm qualified to use.

Else is just heavy jewelry.

M.
although...
I must say I am still saving for that Subotai redux. Short, handy, and certainly not in the way. A little barbaric in nature but I think it would do in a pinch.
The blackthorn sword cane wielded by Alex (Malcolm McDowell) in Clockwork Orange. I've been looking for a replica of that prop since the 70s.
I don't know, maybe this should be split off and put on a different topic maybe the .com Gods can decide that!

Does it strike anyone else that we're sort of short changing the question? What would a contemporary society be like in which one either routinely wore a sword or had the option of wearing a sword? I noticed some contributors suggested that they'd have the sword on one hip and a Beretta or a 45 on the the other. Swords AND guns? Everybody would be as nervous as a cat in a rocking chair factory! :D

It wouldn't even be like a society that allows dueling because the duelists didn't necessarily carry weapons all the time. Not that they actually provide much protection but would there even be police or just a lot of crews to clean up the messes?
Fortunately, it's all fantasy here so we need not worry about that ;)

M.
As Herbert noted, there are currently countries (like Austria apparently) where wearing a sword is technically legal.

So what is lacking in such countries is social acceptance.

Perhaps it's similar to carrying a pocket knife: it's perfectly legal but might raise some eyebrows depending on the circumstances.

So what is needed, is a campaign that swords are cool and NOT a menace to society.

That even sounds quite reasonable to me. :)

I mean, I have a few swords (not all) on the wall of my living room and if I get any comments at all (not nearly always) they are generally favourable. I don't think I've ever had a negative comment.

So if they are legal why not wear them at selected occasions? At a white tie gala event, I guess that a nice smallsword is perfectly appropriate. As is a messer when out hunting. When one is just shopping for groceries, than perhaps not...
I'm quite active in 18th Century Living History in the Ohio Valley region, and often wear various swords when dressed out in my kit. Also, I'm part of the Scottish Society of Louisville, and will occasionally wear a Highland baskethilted Claymore and dirk when in formal wear (or even suedo-historical garb). While I often gets looks, they are usually approving or at least just curious, and I have never been approached by a police officer or other authority figure in a negative way. I DO take care to not brandish my blade, point it at anyone, make a threatening gesture, or handle a weapon if there's any hint of uneasyness. It's all about discretion and good judgement when going out and about with your blades, in my experience.
i agree
Yes this is all the best sort of 'what if' fantasy. It will never happen but it is fun to see what others would have on their sides as well. I love the diversity from Japanese to Viking and European all the way to falchions and small swords. It would truely be a wonder to behold. As for the previous comment about people being nervous..i disagree. Like the saying goes..."an armed society is a polite society". I think those of us who study would know who are real 'threats' and who are just wearing one because they can. I also think there would be a great fellowship between the swordsmen and women. Also this may strike you as ridiculous as it has me but I have learned through another forum the members of some White Supremecist Groups are trying to get Public Dueling legalized. Thankfully they don't have a prayer but they do believe it is their right or something???? Again I think swords in society would have something of a positive effect. Certainly have something to talk about in the grocery store lines. "Is that a Powning?" "Wow, really excellentt sword you must be proud..yes, these are Lundemo's"!! Better than reading the tabloids!!!
Just about?

A Langes Messer and buckler.

Sword and gun? 1911a1 and a 1917 Cold Steel Naval Cutlass. (They went together at one time already :) )

Cheers,

David
Wearing a sword is legal in my county except on Federal property.

I don't do it though, because it would be a pain to have to put it on everytime I get out of the car, or take it off every time I get in...not to mention sitting.

M.
A very interesting topic!

I think I would wear a saber with some decoration to it. It would still be a weapon but could be perceived as a status symbol or perhaps something akin to jewelry. So a saber and maybe a well decorated Russian Kindjal. Austria also sounds like a very interesting place, next time I'm there I should look up the local laws and maybe wear a saber and see what happens. Perhaps I should also check with the police there first, just to be safe.
A nice yatagan would look great on one's hip. But I would probably choose a viking sword or a 30" langsax. ;)
It would have to be the albion Sempach, or any of the tinker peirce line of longswords.
Re: Carrying A Sword
Bill Love wrote:
Probably a matte blued Coustille, Cinquedea or Arming Sword. Anything bigger or brighter and the Chicken Littles out there would launch a whole new belief system based on the compensation myth. I can already hear the howls and hand wringing--"Does 'packing edge' make you feel like a man? Do you have a permit for that assault Messer? Why do you feel you need a blade longer than ___ (insert politically correct length here)?

Rubbish, of course. One should carry a sword of the lenght one is comfortable with.

Personally, I wouldn't feel right carrying anything under 30¨. (Another reason I have issues with katana - most of them are very short.)
I agree with the nice hangar or cutlass crowd, but as a fashion statement, it would be awesome to afford something like the following Masters of Fire designs.

This one for weekdays:
http://www.arscives.com/mastersofire/images/5...-sword.jpg

Maybe this one for special occasions:
http://www.arscives.com/mastersofire/images/17-damascus-saber.jpg

In reality, I like to be unencumbered, so I'd probably go without.

Last edited by Gregg Sobocinski on Sat 07 Nov, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carry Sword
Anders,

The length thing was a jab at the 1960s-vintage gun laws in this country. Did you know that a shotgun with a barrel 18" or longer is a sporting weapon while the same gun with a barrel 1/100" shorter than 18" is a free ticket to a felony conviction?

Last edited by Bill Love on Sat 31 Oct, 2009 6:53 am; edited 3 times in total
one more
but Anders, he forgot to add "is that a sword or are you just happy to see me?"
Tough Question
I find I have difficulty with medeival swords especially the single handed variety. The sword that I cut best with is the Katana because it handles like a dream, cuts like a scapel, and feels light as a feather. Furthermore, it can take abuse if well made. However, I would like a secondary sword such as a Spartan Lakonian for close in type encounters.

If I were limited to a medieval sword, I think my Albion Reeve fits the bill for me carried on a baldric. It is light, sharp, and well balanced as well as short enough to carry with ease. It tendes to give me confidence especially if I were hardput and had to use it. But sword play is a young man's game and one must be quick. I am older and therefore slower so I would have to carry a pocket full of sand to throw in my opponent's eyes so I could make a quick slash and run like mad! :eek: :eek: :eek:
i disagree
I kinda disagree there Harry. I see it as more of a thinking mans game as well as responses ingrained through consistant training. I mean here you have Dan Inosanto who isnt a spring chicken and would eat me alive in a fight. There is Hatsumi-sensei who is in his 80's now I believe and that is a man I would unashmedly flee from!! The sand IS a good idea though I'll remember that one. We have plenty of it here in TX to spare anyway.
This 17th century German rapier would be fun to wear around town.

Attachment: 93.74 KB
107cms.jpg
from Bolk Antiques
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Page 3 of 5

Jump to: