Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The State of my Collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: The State of my Collection         Reply with quote

Hello
I seem to allways be, buying/selling/tradeing ,my swords.I never seem to hold on to a sword, for years, like others.
I guess I get bored.Do any of you, have the same tendencies?Or do you tend, to hang on to a sword,for the long haul?

Thanks
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I know what you mean. There is nothing like the thrill of unwrapping a new one and cleaning it for the first time.

There are some swords that I have developed a deep attachment to and hope to be buried with (that's not altogether a joke). However there are other swords that I like but just don't seem to take hold of me in the same way. Funny thing is I can't seem to tell which it will be until I've owned it for a while, although I am noticing certain patterns having gone through more than 20!

So based on past experience I will probably end up trading/selling/giving 2//3 of my purchases away in the long run.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great Karl! You've got a nice spread of time periods there!

I had a period where I bought, sold, traded all the time. It was actually a great way to learn about the handling and feel of many different swords. I've slowed down on the selling and trading because I'm pretty sure of what I like now. I have a few pieces left to sell but it can wait. I do have a few favorites that I would never sell. I'm in the process of getting scabbards for my swords, but it seems that the wait on a scabbard is longer than that for a sword!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I forgot to add,that I`d realy like to see, everyone elses collection, too.So I can know what to covete:-)

Thanks
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have finally reached a point where I can say that just about every sword I have now is a keeper, and I am as satisfied with my collection as I have ever been. There are only perhaps 3 swords on the production market which I really would like to add to it, and I have 3 pieced-together custom projects which I am working on which will eventually be added.
I made a list awhile ago working mostly from memory, of all the swords I have owned, I think it was around 25, and I currently have 9 complete swords. Collecting has been a long and expensive learning experience for me but currently I don't have a hot list of swords I'm dying to spend money on, which is sort of new to me. I do have a new habit of leaving about half of my swords in the safe at any given time, so rotating a few pieces out from time to time keeps it interesting, like having the in-laws leave and good friends come to visit Happy
I would of course start collecting high end custom pieces if I could afford it, but I can't, and I have managed to not get bitten by that bug so far.
J Anstey

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just about at the point where I have to do a one out before a new one in - due to the family responsibilities and finances.

I have sold a few over the years - maybe 8 or so. I have around 9 swords and 4 in commission or in the queue stage but I can't seem to let any of the current ones go Worried
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You've probably already seen this.

My collection has reached a point where there is less buying and selling than in the past. That's partly because I really like what I have and partly because I have no money. Happy

There are plenty of things on my wish list, but very little that would bump something I currently have out of the picture.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine is in a constant state of flux.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My colection is like a black hole in two ways: money and arms go in...nothing comes out!!
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

I'd like to compliment you on the red (at least, it looks red) grip for your Sempach. I ordered the same for mine. It looks really sharp on that sword. I actually got my inspiration from the reddish colour of the grip of Liectenauer's sword, which looks like a Type XVII, in this picture: http://www.swordfighting-kdf.org/cms/e107_ima...enauer.jpg
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

RISE O` Zombie THREAD! I just got some upgrades for my ATRim Thorpe Falchion. Its kind of leans toward fantasy,
but hey so do I :-)

Attachment: 93.5 KB
IMG_0664.JPG

Attachment: 104.49 KB
[ Download ]
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine tends to grow quickly as I get interested in a new area of study than contract slowly as I see which of the newly acquired pieces resonate with me and which do not. There is a very small number that remain constant and would be the last to go if some financial crisis were to force me to sell off everything.
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides

Last edited by Sam Barris on Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My meager collection continues to ebb and flow. I recently came into some money, so I could have most anything I want. Bu t....I prefer the old buy ,sell, swap, and trade. Besides that, I like shopping online. It's like waiting for Christmas morning. I love to see that man in the UPS truck bringing me a long, narrow box. I'm starting to get into armor now. I just received a pair each of Imperial floating elbows and knees in the dark finish made by Epic Armoury. They will go great with my Dark Drake armor set I should be getting real soon, along with a matching sallet helm from KOA. I know....not the best 'off the shelf' armor....but,hey....I can always send it back. As far as swords go ....my two faves are my Hanwei Rhinelander and my Kris Cutlery folded steel langseax. I love the blade on that seax, but the wooden, boxy scabbard has gotta go in favor of a traditional style. The handle I can live with.....just with a little carving and staining. Well...guess that's about it. You guys enjoy the fun, stay safe, and be happy!..............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
This is on its way from Vladimir Cervenka, and i can barely contain my glee :-)

Attachment: 89.84 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 105.81 KB
2.jpg

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OMG! That is AWESOME! Let the glee loose! I would! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin ......McM
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what that is supposed to be, historically-speaking, but I do know this: it's awesome. Looks like it's going to be fun!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud It's a Messabertana, Nathan! Don't you know ANYTHING? Laughing Out Loud ......McM
Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny, I saw some similar pommel shapes on falchions/messers in some 15th century french illuminations. Very unique piece, take care of it!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I guess you could call it a fantasy kreigsmesser. But I`am gone call it "Tail of the Comet"....or Lucy.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl,

I've formed the impression that you're more excited by the process of creation and acquisition than the fact of accumulation. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The State of my Collection
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: