Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MEMAG/NYHFA/VAFINC meet up 2009 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chuck Wyatt

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: MEMAG/NYHFA/VAFINC meet up 2009         Reply with quote

On Saturday the 10th of October, we had our MEMAG/NYHFA/VAFINC meet up. This is our second year in a row. In a nut shell, members of MEMAG (The Medieval European Martial Arts Guild), NYHFA (The New York Historical Fencing Association) and Bill Grandy of VAFINC (The Virginia Academy of Fencing Historical program) meet in southern New Jersey, a half way point for everyone. The day consists of talking sword and all things HEMA, culminating with dinner at Famous Dave’s Bar-B-Q. Last year, it was a smaller gathering with the day focused on longsword interpretations. This year we had a bigger group of about 12 total, with a range of experience in HEMA and other weapon-based arts. Each school gave a 45 minute presentation, teaching an overview of a particular weapon.

The day started with MEMAG and Bill Grandy going over their interpretations of Lignitzer plays of the sword and buckler. MEMAG then demonstrated the staff from Egenolph and Meyer.
Next up was Bill Grandy, showing a rapier overview from Capo Fero (?). The demos ended with NYHFA showcasing proper cutting mechanics. Everybody got a chance to test cut with Tatamai (?) mats or pool noodles.

Then, of course, we went and put a dent in Famous Dave’s meat supply!

The highlights of the day for me were the Rapier 101 presentation by Bill Grandy, The weapon has always been a bit of a mystery to me so it was nice to have a hands-on lesson expelling preconceived ideas and just plain ignorance on my part. I have some newbies into HEMA who have only handled wall hangers and wasters. I know for them it was rather exciting to be able to handle longswords from makers like Albion and Arms and Armor, swords they have only read about on the internet and heard me praise.

I would love to have additional comments from others who where there for any details I may have missed

Here are some pics from the day.
http://memag.jalbum.net/meetup_2009/index.html

Cheers,
Chuck
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All right dammit! Next year, I'm in!

Then I'll make all you guys suffer through Bolognese Sword and Buckler and maybe even some Sword and Rotella.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Chuck Wyatt

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Reich posted:
Quote:
All right dammit! Next year, I'm in!

Then I'll make all you guys suffer through Bolognese Sword and Buckler and maybe even some Sword and Rotella.

Steven you have to come next year! Sword and Rotella would be very interesting. It's on my someday to do list, so why not next year.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like you guys had tons of fun!

Messer and buckler for the win Big Grin

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a blast, and Steve, if you come, it would be even better.

This was my firs time with rapier and I walked away with new respect for the weapon. Very subtle, very deadly. It didn't hurt to have Bill Grandy teaching eather...as one of HEMA's only professionals, he certainly knows what he's doing. I got to be his practice dummy which was fun too.

This was also my first exposure to Western staff work. Betsy from MEMAG did the presentation and she did a great job showing both the differences and the similarities between the staff and the longsword. Essentially if you know how to use a longsword, you know the basics of every weapon in the Liechtenauer tradition, but then there are techniques specific to each weapon.

My favorite part was talking shop with Cory, John and Chuck from MEMAG and Bill Grandy. These guys really know their stuff and I always learn something whenever I spend time with them. Even though one of them looks like Jesus.

I wholeheartedly recommend this type of gathering for anyone with a bunch of groups in the same general area. You'll really get a lot of out it. We are in four states, but a couple of hours of driving and something like this can happen. To say it's worth the gas and time is a gross understatement.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooh neat! New Jersey's not too far for me. So hopefully I can join you next year.

The Massachusetts sword groups (Forte, Schola Saint George, Kunstbruder and the Academy of Knightly Arts) do a regular get together as well. And it's great! I really enjoy these kinds of events and I think they really contribute to our studies overall.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This get together was a ton of fun, and one of those meet ups that further reinforces why I love swords. Happy

First and foremost, a big thank you to Chuck for hosting us! (as an aside, Chuck, you can just call us VAF. Wink )

We did this last year, though with fewer students, and it was great to trade notes and talk shop. But this year the idea was passed around that we do some brief workshops for each other, which turned out to be a great idea. I enjoyed trading notes with MEMAG about Lignitzer's sword and buckler plays, and the NYHFA test cutting class gave me a lot of good stuff to think about in regards to how we approach test cutting in general.

I was a little amused to look at the photos... I realized we see some people using rapiers to practice 15th c. sword and buckler, and some people using longswords to practice 17th c. rapier. Happy (Not everyone had the "correct" sword simulators, so some had to make due). Somehow it didn't seem so odd looking at the time...

My favorite aspect is discussing interpretations with the both groups. No, I take that back... my favorite part was hanging out with such a great group of people, who happen to also like talking about WMA. Guys, we definitely have to do this more often!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Guys, we definitely have to do this more often!

It's really not far for us at all. I would be willing to go quite often.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MEMAG/NYHFA/VAFINC meet up 2009
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic