Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Renaissance Side Sword : sources? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Hanwei Renaissance Side Sword : sources?         Reply with quote

Hello all,

In order to make it re-created by Vladimir Cervenka, I'm trying to gather all the informations about the Renaissance Side Sword made by Hanwei. Does anybody know what original sword Hanwei used as a model ? They say it's based on a German 16th sword, but that's all. I would appreciate every information.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

David

Attachment: 12.09 KB
Hanwei Sidesword.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Etienne wrote:
In order to make it re-created by Vladimir Cervenka, I'm trying to gather all the informations about the Renaissance Side Sword made by Hanwei. Does anybody know what original sword Hanwei used as a model ? They say it's based on a German 16th sword, but that's all. I would appreciate every information.

I'm thinking perhaps the wording of your post might be making me misinterpret what you're asking. Either way, I am compelled to state the following as it is not only my own opinion, but a general viewpoint of this site as well:

Having one maker copy the work of another is, at best, tacky. Makers should respect the intellectual property rights of other makers. I strongly encourage makers to look at antiques for their inspiration rather than other makers. Far too many times we have seen one maker use the work of another maker to use in their own products. That is disingenuous.

Likewise, I encourage consumers to respect the same rights and to find value in the design work done by makers. This respect is given through commerce (purchasing that maker's products).

I do understand that you're asking for documentation on an antique. I get it. It's just that the wording of your post states that you're having one maker copy the work of another. I suspect that you're intending to state that you are wishing for one maker to make a sword that will be inspired by the same antique that another maker has already used as inspiration. My post is intended to clarify a position on the matter.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having said that, look at the Wallace Collection (# A536)
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Nathan,

I knew I should have ask you that first ! that's exactly the sword I was looking for! Sorry if my words are leading to a misinterpretation (English is not my mother tongue). Of course my intention was not to ask Mr Cervenka to do an exact copy of the sword made by Hanwei, but well to create a sword with the same general lines (like the hand-and-a-half German sword on his site), or better, a copy of the original 16th century sword.
So, sorry for the trouble and thanks a lot for your quick and precious answer!

Cheers,

David

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Renaissance Side Sword : sources?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic