Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: suggestions for armorists in US Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James W.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Wanted: suggestions for armorists in US         Reply with quote

I am looking for suggestions on armorists to make a german sallet in which the visor can be raised slightly. Allowing it to be kept in that position or lowered to its normal position. I would also like the tail to be straight backed instead of dipping too far. My current german sallet does this an interfers with the front and back plate I own when doing halfswording or bending over slightly. I have put a picture as an attachment as to what I am looking for.

Attachment: 50.42 KB
german sallet.jpg

M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Mercenary's Tailor is the best.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

To get the subtle but elegant lines of a piece like that you should really find someone at the higher end of armoring. I don't think Robert MacPherson is doing much heavy pounding right now, but another excellent choice is Jeff Hedgecock:
http://historicenterprises.biz/arms-and-armou...1_132.html

As you can see, Jeff actually has a similar piece in stock right now at a *very* reasonable price:
http://historicenterprises.biz/sallet-italian...th=101_132
At that price, if I had an even vaguely-Gothic harness I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Then there's the excellent work of Peter Fuller in Canada:
http://www.medievalrepro.com/Helmets.htm

If you want something even less expensive, there's a Czech armorer whose work is good:
http://www.bestarmour.com/salir6.htm

I would honestly avoid the standard "internet armorers" for something this nice.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would actually suggest that you contact www.arms-n-armor.com (Arms and Armor) and get a quote. Big Grin
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
James W.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What are ppl's experiences with "illusion armory" or "Wassonartistry"...both were recommended to me by Mr. Arlen.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suggest you post your queries over at the Armor Archive: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/

The AA is a forum more dedicated to armor and many of the participants have dealt with the companies you're asking about.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James W. wrote:
What are ppl's experiences with "illusion armory" or "Wassonartistry"...both were recommended to me by Mr. Arlen.

My WMA instructor and myself have both had great experiences with Illusion Armory. They are excellent people to deal with if you go that route.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James W. wrote:

I have heard a tremendous number of complaints about Illusion Armory regarding delays and even failure to deliver product at all. Someone suggested the Armor Archive; if you go there, you can search their archives for comments on them. Their work is fairly innaccurate, too, with none of the pieces being truly "shaped" in the sense that medieval armor should be, however, it at least often articulates, which isn't always the case with some of the popular armories on the internet.

Jeff Wasson is a superb and highly skilled armorer whom I have known for many years. His work is excellent, however, I do not believe he takes a very large number of commissions. You can see his web page here:
http://www.wassonartistry.com/
I have attached a photograph of Jeff in the harness he made to use in the Tournament of the Phoenix held last year near San Diego. As you can see, Jeff understands the *function* of armor in a way that most don't because he uses it himself in an authentic format. I would recommend Jeff very strongly.

Attachment: 130.71 KB
Jeff Wasson at the Tournament of the Phoenix in 2008 [ Download ]

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
William Knight

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might also consider canadian armourers. Quebec has produced very good armourers in recent years, namely Eric Dube and Francois L'Archeveque.

http://www.flarcheveque.com/ is Francois's website, can't find Eric's right now.

-Wilhelm

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: suggestions for armorists in US
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic