Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What Three Books? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: What Three Books?         Reply with quote

This question has probably been asked on here before, but I have discovered that I am horrible at using the forum search on here so... I feel very pesky always asking questions (like "what is a quillon" for example), and have reached a point in my enthusiasm for arms and armor to do some serious reading on my own. Hopefully someday I will be able to engage in some thread conversations without simply speculating, and be able to lend a hand with some primary source knowledge. Here goes...

If in the future you could only use three books to reference the subject of historical arms, what would they be? I limit you to three because my interest area is so broad right now that I am looking for literature that cover a wide range of arms and armor. If you intend to reply to this question could you please follow a simple format.

1. Name your personal main area of interest.

2. Prioritize... list the works from books that are most comprehensive to books that adhere to a more narrow area of knowledge.

3. After the name of the book (Title, Author, Publisher, and maybe even where to get it.) include a one sentence description. Example would be "Extensive list and descriptions of melee weapons from 800 C.E. to 1700 C.E.".

4. After you have made the list of three with a brief description, feel free to elaborate with your own review. In keeping the "quick list" separate from your review it will allow users of this thread to get an idea at a glance, without having to read a ton.

If you have a very specific interest (for example post 1700 military sabers), do not be afraid to participate. State your interest and then give me the best three books for post 1700 military sabers. If you are only interested in the Viking era then state it and give me your favorite three Viking book.

In order to avoid any debate on this thread about which book is the best , keep in mind that this is just your personal favorites. There is no right answer. If enough people participate then the most successful books will be apparent.

NOTE. If a thread like this already exist, please direct me and disregard this attempt to start a new helpful thread for noobs like myself. Cheers!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luke,
Have you checked out the Paper Armoury series in our Feature section?

Specifically, The Paper Armoury: Our Top Shelf

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No I had not seen that feature of the website. So Chad... If I may ask? Which of those three would you pick? I suppose the unmentioned part of my inquiry is that I am a poor college student and might only be able to afford two or three books. Plus I just think it will make for a nice comparative survey across our broad range of members.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luke Zechman wrote:
No I had not seen that feature of the website. So Chad... If I may ask? Which of those three would you pick? I suppose the unmentioned part of my inquiry is that I am a poor college student and might only be able to afford two or three books. Plus I just think it will make for a nice comparative survey across our broad range of members.

I have 4 or 5 picked in that article. Happy

My top 3 would be (in no order of importance):

David Edge/John Miles Paddock - Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight (good overview of arms and armour; nice pictures)
Ewart Oakeshott - The Sword in the Age of Chivalry (sword specific, introduces the typologies)
Oakeshott - Records of the Medieval Sword (many pictures of swords)

Here's another thread on a similar topic: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15412

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At this stage of my study and given my interests (1450-1600-ish):

Records of the Medieval Sword-The best compromise between images and text.
The Medieval Armour From Rhodes- Exceptionally detailed descriptions. Exceptional price, too, if you can find it.
The Great War Bow-The definitive work on the title subject, but also full of fantastic associated info, historical context and contemporary depictions of arms and armour.

You can find all of these on Amazon, though the Rhodes book is scarce and very expensive.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Whit Williams

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Book Of Swords - Hank Reinhardt, Simon and Schuster / Baen
    The Archaeology of Weapons - Ewart Oakeshott.
    Book of The Sword - Sir Richard Burton.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The three I keep referring back to the most are:

#1 Oakeshott - Records of the Medieval Sword
#2 Pierce - Swords of the Viking Age
#3 Oakeshott - Archeology of Weapons
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just because I like the history of technology, as well as the medieval/ pre-modern times, I would include "The Knight and the Blast Furnace." It has its' critics because conclusions were drawn from small samples, and it is organized more like a database than an ordered book. But destruction of artifacts seems unreasonable. And, having used over 600 different pieces plus historical research, I think it is one of the most comprehensive works available for those interested in metallurgy during medieval times. It is on my list of things I hope to get for Christmas or an anniversary one day.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What Three Books?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic