Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Visited Albion yesterday Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Visited Albion yesterday         Reply with quote

My wife and I stopped by Albion yesterday on our way back from Milwaukee to Cincinnati. Okay, maybe it wasn't really on the way, but I was able to talk my wife into it anyway. Happy I got to see Mike again, of course, but I was also able to meet Amy and Howy, Jason, and waived to several other busy shop workers.

The shop is very cool. They have a retail area in the works, which should be very nice when completed. We watched Jason heat treat some blades, which was interesting. We also saw some blanks that had blades cut from them. Howy was working with some of the Conan castings, which are every bit as impressive in person as they are in the photos on their website. Kevin was in the middle of a Solingen scabbard (maybe the one Howy posted pics of), and it was neat to the all the in-progress scabbards in various stages of completion. They had one room that was all parts. There were boxes of pommels, blades, grips, wood, etc. I was able to handle Peter's Viceroy wax and a bare Viceroy blade too. I also was able to examine Peter's waxes for the Svante sword, and the waxes for two of the swords from the Michael Crichton book/movie Timeline. One of those swords' hilts looks a lot like the hilt from the Black Prince sword. If they could put that hilt on a Type VXa hilt........ I also saw some Discerner pommels and guards in progress. The pommel is hollow, and the checkered disc is hand-dished and added later. Lars' armour is very nice; my wife has a picture of me in the Death Dealer helm which I'm sure she'll use as blackmail for years.

Overall, it was impressive. They have a great setup for knocking out the product. If anyone is ever in the area, it's worth checking out.

My thanks to Mike for showing us around and getting us directions back to the highway. It was also nice to put more names with faces. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was great having you guys here Chad!!! You are more than welcome back anytime bud.

Now all we need is that picture of you in the helm posted. Eek! Big Grin

Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the following goes without saying:

1. We want to see that pic.
2. I want to visit Albion.
3. If Chad touched any portion of my Sempach, I'll bite his fingers off! Eek!

Laughing Out Loud

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Chad,

I'm sorry that we didn't get a better chance to talk and socialize. Heat-treat days are always really hectic for me, as I can't really leave to shop for more than a couple minutes at a time (I live on that timer), and with Eric on a much needed vacation, it just added to it all.

Any time you can make it back, I'll make sure to buy you and your wife a drink over lunch.

Talk to you soon,

Jason Dingledine
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Chad, what a good visit! It sounds like it was a great time. Needless to say, I'm a little envious ... visiting Albion is something I dream about all the time. Really glad to hear that you were able to stop in and see them.

Eventually, I'll get to make my own sojourn to Albion, but in the interim, I love hearing about it whenever someone gets to stop by there. Each time I hear someone talk about it, it makes me want to go there that much more. Big Grin

"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

. . . ah, the Deathdealer helm. . . a very cool, very fun piece.

I'd like to give Lars another shout out on this thread - if you got to check out the Mantis helm (an original from the Albion shop) you'll agree with me on this. His armor is awesome and his skills amazing for the short time he's been pounding sheet metal. I know you're a bit soft-spoken, but friend you've got some serious skills and you deserve the accolades.

I don't know where your heart lies in the business, but a "museum line" of recreation armours would be a great excuse to make a "research" trip with Peter to Europe. . . Wink
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit Chad. That place is infectious isn't it?

The thing that I find interesting about Albion is how close it is to its medieval ancestor. The fantasy vision is of one smith working alone on a sword from start to finish. The reality was that of a group of craftsman each specializing in his own area of expertise, much like Albion is doing today.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Dingledine wrote:
Hey Chad,

I'm sorry that we didn't get a better chance to talk and socialize. Heat-treat days are always really hectic for me, as I can't really leave to shop for more than a couple minutes at a time (I live on that timer), and with Eric on a much needed vacation, it just added to it all.

Any time you can make it back, I'll make sure to buy you and your wife a drink over lunch.

Talk to you soon,

Jason,
Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that some day. Happy

I'll bet that the heat-treat rig is quite the demanding mistress.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit Chad. That place is infectious isn't it?

The thing that I find interesting about Albion is how close it is to its medieval ancestor. The fantasy vision is of one smith working alone on a sword from start to finish. The reality was that of a group of craftsman each specializing in his own area of expertise, much like Albion is doing today.

Patrick,
It is very interesting. To see swords and armor in their various pieces is really something. Plus, everyone is really nice. Happy

Though Mike needs to put some aloe on his really bad sunburn.......

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Visited Albion yesterday
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic