Where To Purchase Copy of Oakeshott's Book?
Would like information on where to purchase Oakeshott's book on blade types and especially pommels. Suggestions and information welcome.

Regards,
Harry


Last edited by Harry J. Fletcher on Mon 21 Sep, 2009 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
For either your best bet will be hoping and praying you find one either at Amazon or Ebay. Good luck because I have been looking myself now for quite awhile with no luck. Every once and a while one will come up for sale here, and I always seem to miss it! :(

Scott
Our Oakeshott Article covers the typologies.

I'm having copies of Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword rebound as hard backs and will have an extra copy or two if your'e interested in that.

The Sword in the Age of Chivalry covers the typologies as well.
Chad Arnow wrote:
Our Oakeshott Article covers the typologies.

I'm having copies of Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword rebound as hard backs and will have an extra copy or two if your'e interested in that.

The Sword in the Age of Chivalry covers the typologies as well.


I was hoping you would chime in on this one Chad. I was not sure if there were any copies that might still be available so did not want to say anything out of turn. Any word on how this is moving along? I am still interested in this and hope I am still towards the top of the list.

Scott
Scott Kowalski wrote:
I was hoping you would chime in on this one Chad. I was not sure if there were any copies that might still be available so did not want to say anything out of turn. Any word on how this is moving along? I am still interested in this and hope I am still towards the top of the list.

Scott


The publisher should have copies available soon. They were to reprint a bunch of copies 9/16.

You're on the list. :) As soon as I get the copies in, they'll go off to the binder.

We didn't get 15, so I put myself on the hook for 2 copies so we could get the volume discount.
Interested In A Copy Chad
Yes, I would indeed be interested in getting a copy. Let me know how to arrange it and cover any cost or payment involved.
At last, something is cheaper in the UK!

Here is a link to amazon.co.uk and from about $40 USD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_2_15?url=...ds+of+the+

copy and paste or just go to amazon.co.uk and type in 'records of the medieval sword' and 7 second hand are listed from 28/about $40

Tod
Re: Where To Purchase Copy of Oakeshott's Book?
Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
Would like information on where to purchase Oakeshott's book on blade types and especially pommels. Suggestions and information welcome.

Regards,
Harry


Hi Harry

For info on pommels Sword in the Age of Chivalry will have the most info. They are pictured in Records of the Medieval Sword but with less info in the text.

Ewart's research and theories did evolve over the writing of these texts so it is good to look at the whole body of work to get the best overall view. Several people have suggested the best way to get the most out of his writing is to take SAC add Sword in Hand to the back and then RMS at the end as an appendix. The SAC (revised version) is the most detailed coverage of the typology,this includes the examples and instances in art that help form the dating and boundaries of the different types. The SH is the story of the sword in a way, it contains the interesting anecdotes and stories and examples of specific swords and the history surrounding them. RMS is a catalog if you will of swords that Ewart came across in his studies and research. Some where part of his collection at different points others where in friends collections or museums. Still others he saw at the auction house and they have since been on the private market. He wrote it as a review of the interesting and important swords he had experienced in his life.

I would add as well that the coverage of the typology on this website is very very good and if the books are not available one could not do better than using this info as your source.

Hope that helps and you enjoy reading his works.

Best
Craig

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum




All contents © Copyright 2003-2006 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Full-featured Version of the forum