Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Posh stuff for Dover by Tod Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Posh stuff for Dover by Tod         Reply with quote

I have been involved in a large contract making reproduction items for Dover Castle in the UK and have now made a few pieces for the costumed interpreters that will be working there. One of the interpreters will be portraying Prince John and I have made a belt and eating knife for this character.

Money for us was of course a limiting factor more than it would have been for him, so I have tried to provide as much bang for the buck as possible without going crazy on detail. The other limiting factor is that we know very little about eating knives from 1180 especially for high status individuals, so I had to make it up - this is my interpretation of what could have been limited by both their styles, designs and my available budget.

The blade is single edged and is of whittle tang construction going into a handle of alternating layers of bone (should have been ivory really) and black horn with 24ct gold plated spacers and bolsters. The scabbard is a 2 layer moulded scabbard with a 13thC motif on it, buut I figured they did like anthropromophic decoration and that he may also be ahead of his time.

The scabbard is the same red that was colour specified for me for all the kings gear I made for the castle and the whole thing clashes very well - subtelty was not the objective.

The belt is in the same red and has 24ct plated fittings and has the royal leopard stamped in along its length, the studs have the cross motif found on Henry II's coins.

I have also attached some pictures of the Kings items, also for Dover. Again money is an object so these are not as opulent as they should be.

The metal fittings and rivets are gold plated and the pommel and cantle of the saddle are gold leafed. The leather is all Kings red and all the woods used are English even though they are painted or covered, the leather is all veg tan and is stuffed with wool.

Helmet - based on a bought piece, dismatled, modified, reassembled with the addition of etched and gold plated face plate detailing, gold rivets and a repousse crown rivetted in place.

Saddle - based as well as I could on manuscript evidence and is carved from maple and upholstered in leather and wool with carved and leafed pommel and cantle, with hand made girth strap buckles and stirrups.

Sword - all fittings gold plated, leather cord wrapped grip with twisted gold wire detailing and engraved and etched pommel infilled with red enamel (fake I am afraid). Royal leopard and Henricus Rex Anglorum; Henry King of the English. Blade has engraved makers mark of Gilbertus. Alluding to a recent discussion on whether makers would leave off their mark on request, I had to go one further and mark it with somebody elses name.

Shield - early heater form with gold plated rivets and washers, leather pad upholstered with wool. Shield was constructed from planked lime, gessoed and the painted. The painting was executed by Meg Surrey who also worked on the project and although it is not to my taste is apparently stylistically correct.

I hope you like the items and as I have said, Dover is well worth a look

Attachment: 131 KB
knife 1 small.jpg

Attachment: 147.89 KB
knife small2.jpg

Attachment: 120.34 KB
knife small 3.jpg

Attachment: 135.45 KB
ensemble 1 small.jpg

Attachment: 146.61 KB
ensemble 2 small.jpg

Attachment: 140.79 KB
sword hilt small.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice kit. I especially like the stacked handle eating knife.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous! I love the sword, it has a cool grip. The stacked knife is really, really nice too! All of it is worthy of a king however! Great job! I have to agree that the painting on the shield is not my taste either. I don't like the front paws of the lion. They look like back paws..... That's the only possible complaint as far as I see it. Everything else is spot on!
R D Moore

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done, Tod! These items are beautiful. It's easy to imagine what you could do with an unlimited budget! You're an amazing artist.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, kind words indeed. What was really nice for mr though was that I got to work on items like the saddle, that it is unlikely I would have been offered as a single piece comission and there were enough items like that to make the whole project very interesting.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really love that saddle Eek! Did you build it to fit a particular horse?
Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Lloyd Clark wrote
I really love that saddle Did you build it to fit a particular horse?

Thanks. I took profiles and measurements from 'Bugsy', my friends horse at 16 hands, went back to fit up the roughed out wooden forms and they all seemed to fit well, but they had no padding on so I didn't push the issue with Bugsy and really study the fit. When I had upholstered it and fitted up the gilded pommel and cantle, the last place I was going to take that saddle was near a horse! White cotton gloves, lots of wrapping and straight to the castle.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Thu 17 Sep, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder what kind of "limited budget" would allow for so much concentrated awesomeness. And you really should do more swords Todd, this one looks beyond great.
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Sep, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Tod ! Your work is amazing, as usual !
I second the comments about your sword, and I would be pleased to see additional pics and stats about it.

Cheers,

David

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Posh stuff for Dover by Tod
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic