Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > windlass sword of the viking king Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: windlass sword of the viking king         Reply with quote

I'm interested in the sword of the viking king by windlass but i dont know much about its quality, any info will be greatly apriceated. Also, if you know of a better viking style sword in the 300 to 500 price range please recommend it. Windlass's quality varies so i want to make an educated decision.

Attachment: 96.1 KB
501168_1_l.jpg

Attachment: 66.03 KB
501168_2_l.jpg

Philip C. Ryan

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No clue about the sword....but if the horrendously inaccurate/ hollywood styled scabbard is any indication......
Skjaldborg Viking Age Living History and Martial Combat
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some better ones in your price range:

http://kultofathena.com/product~item~SH2408.htm - Tinker/Hanwei collaberation

http://kultofathena.com/product~item~DT2105.htm - one of the better Del Tin viking swords

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...viking.htm - plain, but good quality
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Here are some better ones in your price range:

http://kultofathena.com/product~item~SH2408.htm - Tinker/Hanwei collaberation

http://kultofathena.com/product~item~DT2105.htm - one of the better Del Tin viking swords

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...viking.htm - plain, but good quality

I can personally recommend both Hanwei Tinker Viking and DT2105. I have Hanwei and have handled DT in a shop. Hanwei is agile, fast sword with great distal taper and nice finish, but it seems that the leather of the grip is tucked under the guard and when it comes out the guard starts rattling. I temporarily fixed that with wooden wedges until my local smith finds some time to disassemble it and repeen it. DT is a sword with a looot of punch, quite a blade presence, not as fast as Hanwei but still good handling. The hilt parts are really beautiful. It will also probably loosen after awhile, but DT swords are usually easy to fix, just a few hits with a hammer to tighten the peen should work. It works with my 2 DT swords.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not a fan of Windless

Personally I would shave a few extra dollars and go with Albion.

The other swords particularly the Tinkers are very good swords as well.

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's the worst scabbard I have ever seen.

Tinker has a design much like that sword, with a much plainer scabbard; if it's the dimples you're after, he's got them.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tom L.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know......the windlass sword could have worked for me.....if they hadn't gone and messed it up by covering the scabbard with those two chunks of faux reindeer fur. WTF?! That's one thing I've noticed about Windlass: they often come out with decnt looking swords but then ruin them with one little quirk such as horrible scabbard mounts, a ugly pommel/grip/guard, or bad colour choices on the fittings.
I have a cunning plan Mr. B.
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, it is based on a historical sword and the scabbard is almost a perfect reproducion. I'm not sure what museum its in, but I found it in a book. The hanwei tinker viking does look especially good and i've grown to trust hanwei's quality in all thier products, but the blunted versions blade is a turnoff. Pretty much i just want to know whether the blade of this thing will crack or drastically fail against a shield. I dont really need a cutter right now and my basher is hanwei's practical norman.

Last edited by Tom King on Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If nothing else the scabbard is perfect for a campy 80's sword and sandal barbarian warrior. Some of those movies were so terrible that they were great!!! So in its own way, its historically accuate for that period at least! Big Grin Eek!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
If nothing else the scabbard is perfect for a campy 80's sword and sandal barbarian warrior. Some of those movies were so terrible that they were great!!! So in its own way, its historically accuate for that period at least! Big Grin Eek!
No seriously, the only differences are that the origional has a rounded tip and the embossed leather in the center of the scabbard is different. So all of you are bashing the tastes of a 9th century jarl.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
No seriously, the only differences are that the origional has a rounded tip and the embossed leather in the center of the scabbard is different. So all of you are bashing the tastes of a 9th century jarl.

Well...no.

I loved the 80's and I loved those campy movies. Whether they got anything historically correct or not was completely unintentional I'm sure. I'm just being silly but it does bring those memories back. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Please, woudl you be able to recall what museum piece is this "reconstruction" of the scabbard based on? Would be really interesting to learn.
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found it in a badly written book by R.G. Grant Warrior: a visual history of the fighting man. All It had was the picture without its source and an agnowledgments page with sources ranging from the viking ship museum of Roskilde, denmark to Halfdan Badgerbeard. It looks like a Museum piece in the picture, but it could be some overweight
pseudo-vikings toy. If windlass made a reproduction of it, then it must have some historical precidence.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
I found it in a badly written book by R.G. Grant Warrior: a visual history of the fighting man. All It had was the picture without its source and an agnowledgments page with sources ranging from the viking ship museum of Roskilde, denmark to Halfdan Badgerbeard. It looks like a Museum piece in the picture, but it could be some overweight
pseudo-vikings toy. If windlass made a reproduction of it, then it must have some historical precidence.

I would not bet on something having a historical source just because Windlass has made the item in question. To my knowledge, there are no fully surviving scabbards from the Viking age, what we have are fragments, bits and pieces, mostly wooden/leather/cloth layers surviving under the metal of chape or similar. And especially, there is no fur-covered parts surviving. That means that such a scabbard would clearly stand out from any other finds and if it is indeed something real, it would be extremely valuable to know where it came from.
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Windlass         Reply with quote

To any who care I bought it and I'm returning it as fast as possible. There are so many problems with this sword I cant even begin to list all of them. The scabbards effed in ways that seem ludicrous (most notably the leather is stressed and the silver plating was turned from the box)Besides the casting problems on the hilt, THE GRIP IS TOO DAMN SHORT!!! I'm a small guy with 4in wide hands and i cant swing it correctly! Warning to everyone, STAY AWAY. Hanwei Tinker viking here I come!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That scabbard is not historical in any way. I want to make this clear to any person reading this topic.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
To any who care I bought it and I'm returning it as fast as possible. There are so many problems with this sword I cant even begin to list all of them. The scabbards effed in ways that seem ludicrous (most notably the leather is stressed and the silver plating was turned from the box)Besides the casting problems on the hilt, THE GRIP IS TOO DAMN SHORT!!! I'm a small guy with 4in wide hands and i cant swing it correctly! Warning to everyone, STAY AWAY. Hanwei Tinker viking here I come!

Tom can you post up photos of your sword? I'm curious to see how it compares with the advertised sword
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't buy Windless or it's associated brands. They tend to steal designs from Del Tin and others and do a cheaper job of it with much less quality...but that isn't the reason.

The reason I don't buy from them is that with so many more sword makers out there you can always find better for a couple hundred dollars more. If you're going to buy a $200-$300 sword, then why not save a bit mroe and buy a $500-$600 sword that will be twice as good and last twice as long! i bought some cheaper swords when I first started out and ended up giving them away to get rid of them. Simply put, I didn't want to take money for them and feel the guilt about selling substandard swords to friends or others in the community.

So unless you have a problem saving the money for something better...hold out and get a better quality sword rather than a cheap one. The Hanwai swords are getting better, the Del Tin's are good, but I would hold out for an Albion. If you need it for sparring or drills then a cheap sword makes some sense...but save up for a top notch sword like an Albion if you really want a sharp sword that is well made. You'll thank yourself later on when in several years you get to know what are good swords and what are ok swords and what are bad swords.

Best of luck,

Bryce
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd go for the Hanwei-Tinker. WSS has them on sale for $175.00 shipped in the US, and to be honest; this sword is made to a much higher standard with better looking furniture over it's Windlass counterpart. Not to mention it does not come with the god-awful scabbard:

http://www.wiwingtiswordsupply.com/specialoftheweek.html - you will find the H/T Viking listed 4th down on the page...

Attachment: 78.56 KB
SH2408.jpg

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I'd go for the Hanwei-Tinker. WSS has them on sale for $175.00 shipped in the US, and to be honest; this sword is made to a much higher standard with better looking furniture over it's Windlass counterpart. Not to mention it does not come with the god-awful scabbard:

http://www.wiwingtiswordsupply.com/specialoftheweek.html - you will find the H/T Viking listed 4th down on the page...
Does that sale end this sunday or next week! I need to get in on that!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > windlass sword of the viking king
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: