Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Early Partizan Spear project for Jean Thibodeau Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Starting over is the name of the game. I'm relining my forge and making the opening larger to fit the 5inch wings this time. I'll be firing the forge this weekend and will be starting to forge #2 on Monday or sunday night. But hey, it is all the better! We all know that the second attempt turns out better then the first right?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Starting over is the name of the game. I'm relining my forge and making the opening larger to fit the 5inch wings this time. I'll be firing the forge this weekend and will be starting to forge #2 on Monday or sunday night. But hey, it is all the better! We all know that the second attempt turns out better then the first right?

Well not a problem on my end as I see these kind of delays as part of the game as you said although I regret the time you have to put in re-doing things.

Hopefully " Forge #2 " will be easier having learned something by the work done on forge #1 and can apply that knowledge benefiting from having already solved some problems.

I never find these kinds of delays an issue when they are well explained and the client ( me in this case ) is kept in the loop: Too many makers don't take the time to explain delays and almost hide from their clients rather than be pro-active with information.

There is also the fact that this design is challenging technically and is almost like a " prototype " where all the bugs have to be worked out: If I was ordering something you can make without having to figure out how best to make it like one of your regular spear heads there would be less chance of delays.

As with most high end makers your motivation is greatly the creative process in itself so from that point of view problems " solved " are a valuable learning experience. Naturally you also have to be able to buy groceries and pay the bills so I also appreciate that setbacks are no fun on the economic survival level.

Oh, and please don't feel pressured to go any faster than you feel is needed to get things right as far as I'm concerned. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And, we are back.

I have the bulk of the grinding done, and I will be doing my three normalizing cycles today, and spend the rest of the week/weekend to do my final grind and heat treat. Doing my normalizing now will let me get all the stresses out of the steel, and let me grind off the layer of decarb that will build up.

I'll post a preheat treat pic, and if I have hands I'll do a little heat treat video and post it on youtube if I can figure all that stuff out. Otherwise I'll have a uncracked, heat treated spear to show on Monday.

***Hey hey, New spear, new page! I'll take it as a good sign!

Attachment: 94.34 KB
100_3773.JPG

Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's lookin' good Mike. Second times the charm you know Big Grin I have to say I really love your work man. This is shaping up to be a spectacular spear and Jeans a lucky dog as it's owner.
Winter is coming
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
It's lookin' good Mike. Second times the charm you know Big Grin I have to say I really love your work man. This is shaping up to be a spectacular spear and Jeans a lucky dog as it's owner.

Not luck at all, just a very talented maker with a remarkable work ethics whose work is still affordable with a reasonable waiting time ...... I expect that in time his work will fetch the prices they deserve and waiting times will get longer due to his work being in high demand ! if there is any luck it's in having him post some of his work here on " myArmoury " and my jumping on the chance to have something made that I can still afford. Wink Big Grin Cool

Oh, and this new version looks even better than the first: I really like the profile in general and the shape of the blade tip that is sort of angular and reminds me a bit of a gladius point. In finishing I would recommned keeping it this way rather than rounding it too much. ( There might be a little softening of the corners ..... or not ? Sort of like it as it is now but I leave the fine detail up to him, although I'm still giving him some feedback here about what I like most in what I see at this stage of the work ).

I really like the way Michael has stayed close to my original design drawing but what he has interpreted and that may be slightly different from my drawing are good design and aesthetic choices.

I'm probably doing a good job of making Michael " blush " with my compliments but I wouldn't write them if I didn't mean them 100%.

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I gotta say, this partizan is going to be a nasty brute of a weapon. The shape of it is great! Michael really does top notch work! I am excited to see this done!

Jean-

Are you going to leave the haft bare or do some adornment to it? I know there will be languettes but what about studs, tassles, etc? I know alot of these polearms had fancy hafts.......
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
I gotta say, this partizan is going to be a nasty brute of a weapon. The shape of it is great! Michael really does top notch work! I am excited to see this done!

Jean-

Are you going to leave the haft bare or do some adornment to it? I know there will be languettes but what about studs, tassels, etc? I know alot of these polearms had fancy hafts.......

I tend to like Spartan and functional, the languettes might have ornate or at least hand forged nails holding them on.

Assuming a nice wood grain I tend to like a glass smooth satin hand rubbed finish: I assume that Michael is going to finish the haft but I will probably be maintaining it with Teak Oil or boiled linseed oil.

There will also be a buttcap added to protect the end of the haft and as a hitting surface and as a slight counterweight to the head.

O don't think I would want to go the full velvet, tassles and brass tack decoration route but the langettes + nails + highly polished wood haft + buttcap should be rich enough.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,
This looks really great. I know it is not completely finished but the lines look really crisp and clean. I also like how you interpreted Jean's design for this.

Seeing this I am really looking forward to getting started on my project. I know it has already been a pleasure working with you on the initial design work for the sword.

Jean,
I once again must how lucky of a man you are. I decided to go with Michael for my latest project for the same reason you have. He is definitely a talent on the rise and already close to the peak of his profession and I thought I better get on the train before it leaves the station and he has a year plus waiting list. I just hope I can squeeze in at least one more project after the current one is done before this happens!

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
and I thought I better get on the train before it leaves the station and he has a year plus waiting list. I just hope I can squeeze in at least one more project after the current one is done before this happens!

Scott

Exactly. Wink Big Grin

I also hope that Michael adopts an " In Stock " model where at least half his work time is reserved for his own ideas and designs and makes these available for immediate purchase: This might double the waiting time for custom orders but at the same time would avoid the problem of waiting if one sees something one likes.

Also it would be a shame for Michael to be so booked solid with orders that he would not be able to use his own creativity.

The management of custom orders is tricky at time but he could see what his total yearly output could be ( ballpark figure obviously as big projects take more time than small ones ) divide it by 2 and then have X number of available slots for accepting custom orders each year ...... if extra slots appear because some project took less time than expected than maybe a few extra projects might be made available. The other half of his time being reserved for his personal work. ( This is fair if done up front as it wouldn't feel for Michael that he is taking time away from commitments to clients when working on his own stuff ).

Now such a system might work well once Michael has more requests for custom work than he can handle and would be good to manage the work flow and not get into the trouble some makers get when they promise too much to too many people at the same time and then lose control of the situation.

The thing to do, in my opinion, if Michael likes my suggestion, is to have a plan to transition to this model when the number of custom orders become a " happy " problem of having too many: The plan would mean to not paint himself into a corner where a backlog would make the transition difficult and cause disappointment or broken commitments.

There are so many very talented makers out there who are terrible at managing a business ! Most are sincere but they lose control of their work flow.

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been snapping pictures away during normalizing and the first stage of file work, but I'll post them in a group after they are resized and the spear is heat treated, aka Monday. To touch on some of Jean's points,

I will be leaving the tip with a little angle section much like on a gladius, I think the points with complement the end of the blade, and the tips of the lugs. Also I am going to approach the area in front as the thrusting area, so it will work as a transition between the thrusting tip, and the slashing edge. I hope that all makes sense...

I will be finishing the haft with boiled linseed oil. I already put one coat on so that my dirty fingers don't leave horrible marks while working on the haft. I'll do some more finishing on the haft prior to final assembly.

For sticking with the design, Thank you! Although I went back and looked at the original art and I think that the lugs are a bit too thick... I can trim the extra "meat" away later on, aka If Jean would like to make them slightly thinner.

For point of balance, we didn't really talk too much about how Jean would like the spear to be balanced. Jean, do you have a preference as to rough weight and balancing point? I should have the spear much closer to the final dimension by the end of the day so I'll post the spear head weight and a rough balance point, total weight, and length if it were mounted as is with no butt plate as a reference point.

For my business model, I just want to do the best work I can, for the best price, keep customers happy, and not work myself to death. I figure if I follow this loose format and keep the bills paid and some food in the belly then everything else just might work itself out Happy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
I
For sticking with the design, Thank you! Although I went back and looked at the original art and I think that the lugs are a bit too thick... I can trim the extra "meat" away later on, aka If Jean would like to make them slightly thinner.

For point of balance, we didn't really talk too much about how Jean would like the spear to be balanced. Jean, do you have a preference as to rough weight and balancing point? I should have the spear much closer to the final dimension by the end of the day so I'll post the spear head weight and a rough balance point, total weight, and length if it were mounted as is with no butt plate as a reference point.

As to the design I like your interpretation as is and I think the thickness of the lugs ( Angles, width of gap between main blade and lugs as as good or " BETTER " than my drawing ) should basically stay the same as they are now, although I assume that in final grinding a little mass will be removed and shapes refined.

As to balance: I guess a fair amount of blade presence is a good thing for it to have some good cutting and slashing potential, the butt cap can counterbalance the head a bit but as with your spear head I mounted one does feel the balance about closer to 1/3 of the length of the whole spear measured from the head rather than being center balanced.

A lot of this I'm guessing about as I cant be there and hold it and say " A little back or a little forward " as far as balance is concerned: I'm leaving it mostly to your judgement. Wink Cool

This is meant to be a very stout spear/polearm and heavier than a simple spear: Almost halberd like in presence but still a spear.

Oh, again I really like your design decisions with the tip and I agree very much that the point's angularity works great and in visual harmony with the angles of the lugs i.e. " Better than my drawing ", you managed to respect what I liked or considered essential to the aesthetics I was looking for, but where you changed things you made it better: This is where a maker can pleasantly surprise by thinking of things the customer didn't imagine himself.

Obviously, this can sometimes be risky if the customer has a very settled idea about a design but getting feedback at critical decision points can help in being sure that both the maker and the customer are happy with the design: Luckily our design philosophy as well as aesthetic preferences seem to be very much in sync. Wink Big Grin Cool

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a good chunk of mass removed today, and the blade profile got tuned and it is looking really good. I got the lugs nice and thin and started working on the outside of the socket, but the final work will be done when I get the haft fitted so I can line up the lines of the haft and the socket. BTW did we mention that the haft is 8 sided to match the socket? I didn't get to blending the lug/socket transition, and I still have to thin up the socket wall a little, but I will get to that tomorrow. I'll keep the distance and proportions as they are Jean. I'm glade I read this since I was going to increase the gap between the blade and lugs by about 1/4inch, but leaving it works even better!

On a side note, I am very very happy that the spear is not yet sharp since I could have gotten myself into some trouble! I went up to my attic where I have a finishing area/flex shaft machine and I was going to clean up some of the socket/lug transition lines as well as thin up the socket wall. Then much to my surprise a flying object came at my face! Needless to say I kind of freaked out since the lights weren't on yet and I had no idea what it was, that shouldn't have been up there in the first place. I'm fine and I got the bird out of the attic and he/she is sleeping in a towel on the porch, and I decided to call it a day a little early. At the moment the spear head has a weight of 2lb. 5oz. I didn't get around to other measurements but I will have it finished up for final heat treat tomorrow, and I'll carve the haft to fit the socket as well. Stay tuned, if I have it my way it will be ready to ship by Friday.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
So I am very very happy that the spear is not yet sharp since I could have gotten myself into some trouble! I went up to my attic where I have a finishing area/flex shaft machine and I was going to clean up some of the socket/lug transition lines as well as thin up the socket wall. Then much to my surprise a flying object came at my face! Needless to say I kind of freaked out since the lights weren't on yet and I had no idea what it was, that shouldn't have been up there in the first place. I'm fine and I got the bird out of the attic and he/she is sleeping in a towel on the porch, and I decided to call it a day a little early. At the moment the spear head has a weight of 2lb. 5oz. I didn't get around to other measurements but I will have it finished up for final heat treat tomorrow, and I'll carve the haft to fit the socket as well. Stay tuned, if I have it my way it will be ready to ship by Friday.

Well glad and relieved you didn't have an accident even if your heart may have skipped a beat or two. Eek!

Well 2lb. 5 oz doesn't seem excessive.

Ready to ship by Friday seems good. Big Grin Just don't rush anything more than nescessary.

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My heart is ok, I do have a slight flesh wound on my back from the table saw, (from the table) but it really is just a flesh wound!

I was sitting here with my calipers and I think I'm going to try to take some more material off tomorrow to thin out the blade a little more. I wanted to play it safe and make sure it is very durable, but compared to my other spears, this one is about a pound more which is a lot. I'll start looking for places to shave some weight, I don't think I'll have a huge reduction, but every bit will help. I'll shoot for a 2lb weigh in tomorrow and see where I can get.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always hate it when a critter gets somewhere it should not be. Glad all you did was to graze yourself on a table Michael. I do have another question about the haft as well as the socket of the weapon. What is the diameter of the haft/internal diameter of the socket?

While I agree that in a perfect world what Jean proposed as a business model is good, in the end it has to be what you are comfortable doing Michael. I am looking forwards to seeing the finished product here. This is one fierce looking weapon!

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
I always hate it when a critter gets somewhere it should not be. Glad all you did was to graze yourself on a table Michael. I do have another question about the haft as well as the socket of the weapon. What is the diameter of the haft/internal diameter of the socket?

While I agree that in a perfect world what Jean proposed as a business model is good, in the end it has to be what you are comfortable doing Michael. I am looking forwards to seeing the finished product here. This is one fierce looking weapon!

Scott

For the internal dimensions of the socket I can say that the spear head I already bought from Michael seemed to have an internal diameter just a hair under 1" and I mounted it on a haft a hair above 1 1/8" in diameter.

This spear might have similar internal socket diameter but I think the planned for haft is going to be closer to 1 1/4" so the socket might be a little bit bigger ? But I guess that only Michael can give an accurate answer to this question. Wink

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As it stands the haft is 1 1/4inches wide face to face, and the socket walls taper in thickness starting at around 3/32 at the very edge and get thicker toward the lugs until it becomes solid.

There is a slight alteration, or extra work that will need to be done, or not. At the start I wanted to have the edge of the socket stand a little higher then the haft, and have the Languetts stand proud the same amount. Right now the socket wall on one side got filed just a touch too much and it looks like after the final grind/finish it will be flush with the haft, so we have two options, I can VERY carefully heat up the socket and drift it open a little, or I can make the socket flush with the haft. I think both options would look good, and I'll let Jean make the call as to which he would like me to do. Either way I am on track to heat treat tomorrow.

Second, when we talked about the languetts we were first thinking about doing four, skipping every other face. I'm looking at the spear now and since the socket has eight faces instead of four like on the original design, there is no way to use four languetts on the faces and keep everything symmetrical. I was thinking that doing eight languetts instead of four, and alternating longer, shorter, longer, etc. could work, but since we have the midrib of the spear on a haft corner, that wouldn't look right either. Plus with the extra weight, I don't think it would work out too well. However we can do the languetts on the corners of the haft that correspond with the midrib of the spear and the sides.

For my aesthetic, I think that with the overall design of the spear, having the socket and languetts slightly proud would look better. However, I'm not sure if proud languetts on the corners would look as good as proud languetts on the faces.

As per our original conversation the languetts will be set so that they sit in a groove in the haft, and they will be inlet under the socket so that they have a good strong fastening at the top, and hand forged nails/pins that hold it into the haft. The nails will have a pilot hole drilled so that they don't split the wood or add stress.

So what do we do? As I see it we have two options that we can go with that stay within the original parameters that we have been working with. Both of which would include having the languetts on the corners and not the faces.
A) Make the socket and languetts flush with the haft,
B) Make the socket and languetts proud

I'm also open to other thoughts about what we could do, I'll also continue to look and think about some other options. I'm attaching a picture of how it is looking right now. I took off a few oz. today for a current weight of 2lb. 2oz. I still have a little bit of profile work to do on the lugs, but I want to get the socket to haft area knocked in first since that will determine my final socket shape, and then I can make it all click as the heat treat rig gets up to temp tomorrow.

Attachment: 39.83 KB
100_3830.JPG

Attachment: 44.67 KB
100_3832.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:

Second, when we talked about the languetts we were first thinking about doing four, skipping every other face. I'm looking at the spear now and since the socket has eight faces instead of four like on the original design, there is no way to use four languetts on the faces and keep everything symmetrical. I was thinking that doing eight languetts instead of four, and alternating longer, shorter, longer, etc. could work, but since we have the midrib of the spear on a haft corner, that wouldn't look right either. Plus with the extra weight, I don't think it would work out too well. However we can do the languetts on the corners of the haft that correspond with the midrib of the spear and the sides.

For my aesthetic, I think that with the overall design of the spear, having the socket and languetts slightly proud would look better. However, I'm not sure if proud languetts on the corners would look as good as proud languetts on the faces.

So what do we do? As I see it we have two options that we can go with that stay within the original parameters that we have been working with. Both of which would include having the languetts on the corners and not the faces.
A) Make the socket and languetts flush with the haft,
B) Make the socket and languetts proud

Oh, decisions decisions Eek!

Languettes on the corners seem to be a good idea if I really understand what you mean ? 2 V shaped languettes with a folded corner ridge matching the midrib of the spear and the sides, or 4 languettes 2 of which touching each other on the ridge line, in effect, being technically 4 languettes but visually being like 2 languettes ? ( Either way would work but a folded one piece languette might be structurally stronger ? ).

Slightly proud would seem structurally better as it means removing less wood and tactically sound in that the proud languettes do a better job of protecting the haft from cuts even in the in between spaces than flush languettes ?

So maybe B) works better ?

O.K. giving you my preferences but I'm sure you could make either way look good and equally functional so take note of my " preferences " but use your best judgement as you " eyeball " or " visualize " the end result ( Obviously if you go for one option changing your mind mid way is to be avoided so the " eyeballing " would have to happen after you do what you do. Wink Big Grin ).

So you have room to use your own discretion about the final decision here as you seem to have made good decisions all along that I like as much or more than my own idea(s). Big Grin Cool

Oh, the pics of the spear look great.Big Grin Cool

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Proud languetts and socket it is then.

The total number of languetts will be four total, so that means four piece of steel with a 46 degree angle between the two faces will be inserted every other corner starting at the one that lines up with the midrib of the spear.

As far as protection goes, I think they would stop a very hard chop from going all the way through the haft, but there will still be one corner of wood exposed. Taking this into consideration I don't think that there will be much difference if the languetts are flush or proud, but I think aesthetically it will look better.

Ok, more updates and pictures tomorrow.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Proud languetts and socket it is then.

The total number of languetts will be four total, so that means four piece of steel with a 46 degree angle between the two faces will be inserted every other corner starting at the one that lines up with the midrib of the spear.

As far as protection goes, I think they would stop a very hard chop from going all the way through the haft, but there will still be one corner of wood exposed. Taking this into consideration I don't think that there will be much difference if the languetts are flush or proud, but I think aesthetically it will look better.

Ok, more updates and pictures tomorrow.

Sounds good to me and even if I'm visualizing it " imperfectly " I'm sure I'll be happy with your aesthetic and design/assembly choices: If I'm surprised when I see it I'm sure it will be the good kind of surprised. Wink Big Grin Cool

Very impressed with the results I see in the pics. Cool

( Oh, I'm such a " difficult " customer to work with. Razz JOKING obviously. Wink Certainly if I did see something I didn't like I would mention it but in this case the " core design " being well understood by Michael, his creative choices I didn't anticipate, makes the waiting much more interesting as he has come up with subtleties that add to my design I wouldn't have thought of i.e. very very exciting: A bit like going from reading a map looking forward to what is over the next hill and then being blown away by the unexpected beauty of the landscape once over the hill. Big Grin Cool ).

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Early Partizan Spear project for Jean Thibodeau
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: