Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I need help identifying this sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bobby Johnston

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: I need help identifying this sword         Reply with quote

Hi, I was recently givin this sword. It is 44 inches long. The blade is wavey like flame with a gold strip down the center where the fuller would be. The stip is only on one side of the blade. Also has three dots of this gold evenly spaced on the guard. The most interesting part to me is the wooden handle. It seems to be a piece of bark hollowed out and it looks realy old and brittle. It has a nail or pin clip thing that attatches it to the metal handle. If it is costume than did they make decorative sword way back when because it seems so old. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I have many pictures.
Thanks
bobbyjohnston@rocketmail.com

Attachment: 29.41 KB
IMG_0098-1.JPG

Attachment: 62.7 KB
IMG_0121.JPG

Attachment: 89.09 KB
IMG_0126.JPG

Attachment: 47.23 KB
IMG_0123.JPG

Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying this sword         Reply with quote

Bobby Johnston wrote:
Hi, I was recently givin this sword. It is 44 inches long. The blade is wavey like flame with a gold strip down the center where the fuller would be. The stip is only on one side of the blade. Also has three dots of this gold evenly spaced on the guard. The most interesting part to me is the wooden handle. It seems to be a piece of bark hollowed out and it looks realy old and brittle. It has a nail or pin clip thing that attatches it to the metal handle. If it is costume than did they make decorative sword way back when because it seems so old. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I have many pictures.
Thanks
bobbyjohnston@rocketmail.com

I'm not certain, but it appears to be a sword made in Southeast Asia, perhaps in the Philippines or Indonesia. The blade has that thick, filed look that is found on swords and daggers from that part of the world. Other than that, I do not have a clue.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It doesn't have the flared shoulders typical of Southeast Asian blades, though (or at least blades from those cultures that follow the keris/kris/whatever tradition).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I need help identifying this sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic