Scaramouche
Ran across this link by happen stance this evening and it brought back a lot of memories. This movie was made before I was born but had a great influence on me over the years, once as some one who loved sword movies and later as one who practiced the use of the sword and as a maker of the sword. It has probably been surpassed as the longest sword fight in film but even a few years ago was talked of as holding that title. If one has not seen it I would recommend a rental as the story is classic and while the movie may have its draw backs one can only like an eight minute sword fight and have a cast that includes Stewart Granger, Eleanor Parker, Janet Leigh, and Mel Ferrer.

Scaramouche climatic fight

Or if you like rent the whole movie and go back to an earlier era of sword movies and a time when we desperately waited for these films to show up in reruns late at night :) Any one remember those days?

Craig
Re: Scaramouche
Craig Johnson wrote:
Ran across this link by happen stance this evening and it brought back a lot of memories. This movie was made before I was born but had a great influence on me over the years, once as some one who loved sword movies and later as one who practiced the use of the sword and as a maker of the sword. It has probably been surpassed as the longest sword fight in film but even a few years ago was talked of as holding that title. If one has not seen it I would recommend a rental as the story is classic and while the movie may have its draw backs one can only like an eight minute sword fight and have a cast that includes Stewart Granger, Eleanor Parker, Janet Leigh, and Mel Ferrer.

Scaramouche climatic fight

Or if you like rent the whole movie and go back to an earlier era of sword movies and a time when we desperately waited for these films to show up in reruns late at night :) Any one remember those days?

Craig

Yeah, the good old days when the only way to see an old film was to wait about 5 to 10 years for it to show up on T.V. and if you missed it there where no VCRs to record it. ;) :lol:

Interesting film swordfight but it's funny how much one notices the times way overcommitted parries would have opened each up to an easy kill and all the dramatic pauses looking at at scratch on one's arm while completely ignoring the other guy supposedly trying to kill you ...... nice of the guy to pause wen you pause. :p :lol: But it does have it's charms as classic film fights.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
This had run not too long ago on the late night Turner Classic Movies cable channel. The entire movie was worth watching and in the scene mentioned, it also brought back to mind a rather choreograpehed effort by Tony Curtiss sabre fight with Ross Martin in the movie The Great Race I am somewhat positive that later movie drew great inspitration from the Scaramoche fight.

Cheers

GC

for some reason, I had been expecting the Jose Ferrer Cyrano de Bergerac movie with yet more good old Hollywood swordplay

And with this refrain :D :D
Re: Scaramouche
Craig Johnson wrote:

I caught this one on weekend television just the other day. It's one of the few oldies I don't have in my collection, so I immediately dropped whatt I was doing for the next couple of hours.

As a child I remember literaly running home from school to catch Scaramouche, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Knights of the Round Table and many others on the afterschool movie. Before the video era I would plan my days weeks in advance to catch these movies on telivision because it would be a couple of years before you saw them again. Even though it's better now to be able to see them any time I want, somehow the experience isn't as special as it was way back then. I could really care less about their historical inaccuracies either. I treasure these movies and the childhood memories associated with them. They're why I collect swords today and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
NERDS!!!!!

(spoken as I open a tab up for netflix....naturally.)
Daniel W wrote:
NERDS!!!!!

NERDS with weapons. :p :eek: :lol:
Daniel W wrote:
NERDS!!!!!

Absolutely. :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: