Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > sabre marking Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Colleen B

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: sabre marking         Reply with quote

I have an old Polish sabre with a closed hilt and the blade is printed with a rooster symbol just past the hilt. Is there any information you can give me?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The rooster stamp is a mark used by Gebruder Weyersberg of Solingen (per Bezdek, German Swords and Sword Makers. I am not sure when they started using this mark, but it was in use by at least the mid-19th century. I'd love to see photos of your sword.

Jonathan
Colleen B

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did more research and found out it is a Model 1840 Cavalry saber referred to as the "Wristbreaker" and was typically used during the civil war. Unfortunately nobody can give me an estimate on what the value is. It is in fair condition, can anybody help me?

Attachment: 41.42 KB
saber use1.JPG

Attachment: 42.17 KB
saber use2.JPG

Attachment: 42.79 KB
saber use3.JPG

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Colleen,

Value on these can vary wildly but condition is everything. A fellow who does restoration (Tom Nardi) has a rough guide online. http://www.cds1.net/~nardi/swords/values.htm watching auctions and browsing dealers can also help guide possible value. Some dealers also offer appraisal services. such as http://arms2armor.com/ and http://www.gundersonmilitaria.com/ These are just a sample of such that come to mind. Author and researcher Richard Bezdek, (mentioned previously) is another and I believe he will appraise for a fee. www.theswordman.com/

I often see swords in your example's condition priced well above what street value would bring, so I'm not sure if you are looking at insurance guidelines or looking to sell/buy (or just curious). I am not sure that the maker's mark will really add any value over some pretty run of the mill examples without marks. I went that way to ourchase my own example and looked for a good sound example at budget pricing. The market is a bit soft on these right now as well. I see very good to fine Solingen made examples selling in the $400-$600 and that mirrors Nardi's page pretty well. In the end, such an item is only worth what someone else might pay. I know I bookmarked one example for years that was less than excellent in condition and it sold for more than others in its class. That was one sword that just seemed to attract my interest above others. Times have changed and I found one to fill that slot for me at less expense. Mine is pictured below in a before doing any work at all. Your leather looks like it benefited from some care, while your blade looks a bit tired and possibly overworked. The other side by side there is a French mle 1854 dragoon with a horn grip.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > sabre marking
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic