Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bonfire of the Fencer Gallery Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Bonfire of the Fencer Gallery         Reply with quote

Hello All,

I thought I would share some galleries of photos from this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I hosted "Bonfire of the Fencer" at my home in upstate New York. It was an informal gathering of friends who share in the same passions of Historical Fencing and Europeon Arms and Armor. Historical Fencing Schools in attendence where the Selohaar Fechtschule, Lake Ontario Fechtschule, Les Maîtres d'Armes, M.E.M.A.G., Rochester Longsword Club, and the New York Historical Fencing Assocation.

On Saturday many stepped into the Lists at my pond for informal bouts.

The highlights of the weekend was Dr. Lee Jones inviting us to test cut with his 16th Century Italian Bill and pulling forth from a cloth bag a 10th century viking/norman axe and Allan and Jason of Merceneries Tailor allowing those attending to examine thier impressive collections of antique arms and armor, as well as pour over Jason's impressive large collection of antique books on arms and armor dating back hundreds of years.

Making new friends is always a special treat in attending events such as this, many of us finally got to meet Ed and Kat Toton from Virginia and what simply wonderful people they are.

Receiving instruction and pointers from my mentor, Christian Tobler, after a bout simply makes the time spent putting these events together all worth it. A true gentlemen at arms.

Getting a chance to talk with Cory Winslow and Chuch Wyatt is an extreme pleasure and I hope to set time aside in the coming future to go with NYHFA members and get some personal time in M.E.M.A.G. constant unfolding research in Historical Fencing.

Seeing my old friends Jason Smith and Christine Marcoux of Les Maîtres d'Armes as well as several new students; Rachel Beauchamp and Sébastien Touchette, is always something I look forward to all year. They never disappoint.

The Lake Ontario Fechtschule's close brothers and sisters from the Rochester Longsword Club was pleasant surprise and we look forward to the future of training together.

Christian and Natasha Darce were kind enough to send me some prototype sparring swords that we will be reviewing this coming weekend at Christian Tobler's when he steps into the Lists to fight 30 bouts in respect to Selohaar's 30th Anniversary.

Thank you espeically to Jason Perfetto, Mike Edelson and Bernard Emmerich for the wonderful gifts.

One Sunday many of us departed for the Sterling Renn. Faire for a day of shopping, food and drinks.

I would also like to thank my most excellent friends; Dr Lee Jones and Master Armorsmith Allan Senefeldor for giving up thier free time to be interviewed for an upcoming DVD series.

Great people and a great time...I guess it doesn't get any better than that.

Enjoy the pics,

Todd Sullivan

http://lakeontariofechtchule.webs.com/apps/ph...id=6576657

http://ed.toton.org/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?gallery=2009.bonfire

Last edited by Todd M. Sullivan on Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:31 am; edited 3 times in total
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys sure look like you had fun! I remember Cory and Chuck mentioning this the other day when they were down for messers.

That's one nifty bill, too.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a great time, and met a lot of wonderful new people, and was able to connect more faces and names. Happy

Once again Todd, thank you so much for inviting us.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

no disrespect intended for anyone in the bouts pictured, i am sure all of you could wind me and split me in two with an oberhau in a blink of an eyelash, but what is immediately striking to me in the photo gallery, is Mr. Tobler's posture. in nearly every snapshot through the course of the bout, his posture is perfect, the alignment to the opponent just looks right as well as his balance and weight distribution between the two feet just looks ....... perfect. tr
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
no disrespect intended for anyone in the bouts pictured, i am sure all of you could wind me and split me in two with an oberhau in a blink of an eyelash, but what is immediately striking to me in the photo gallery, is Mr. Tobler's posture. in nearly every snapshot through the course of the bout, his posture is perfect, the alignment to the opponent just looks right as well as his balance and weight distribution between the two feet just looks ....... perfect. tr

Now that I've fought him, I must say, a word that comes to mind is "refined". He was controlled and precise, and great fun to bout with!

-Ed T. Toton III
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to have seen a video of that bill in action. I've always wondered how these sorts of polearms perform.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed was no slouch in the lists either. He was a skilled and courteous combatant and a credit to his instructor.

Dr. Jones' 16th bill was a pleasure to handle. It did much better with the Unterhau you see here. It really isn't particular sharp right now, but was still able to cut, so this shows you the advantage of power when wielding such a terrible weapon.

I can't express my appreciation enough to Lee for the honour of getting to play with this magnificent part of his collection.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't express my appreciation enough to Lee for the honour of getting to play with this magnificent part of his collection.

I agree whole heartedly, this was a huge thing for Lee to put forward. A very generous gesture. What a small group to be in, people who've cut with a 400 year old pole arm.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Ed was no slouch in the lists either. He was a skilled and courteous combatant and a credit to his instructor.

Oh, his instructor usually just calls Ed by girls names and throws insults at him, and tries to make him cry. This is preferred to actually teaching him anything. Wink

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it again here: I really wish I could have made it out. It sounds like it was a blast!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Oh, his instructor usually just calls Ed by girls names and throws insults at him, and tries to make him cry. This is preferred to actually teaching him anything. Wink

ya but who doesn't try to do that to Ed on a normal bases? Wink hehehe
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

That's OK, I make it a point not to learn anything anyway. I just go to class for the free beer. Wink

-Ed T. Toton III
William Carew

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:

That's OK, I make it a point not to learn anything anyway. I just go to class for the free beer. Wink

Your classes have free beer?

Sign me up as the newest student!!! Wink

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Carew wrote:
Ed Toton wrote:

Your classes have free beer?

Sign me up as the newest student!!! Wink

Sounds like a " Drunken Master Style ". Razz Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunken_Master

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bonfire of the Fencer Gallery
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic