Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Twist Damascus Wolf Arming Sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Twist Damascus Wolf Arming Sword.         Reply with quote

Here she is. Been working on the blade off and on for a little while now. Just finished it yesterday. It's 40 layers of 1018 and 5n20 with 6 twists I think. As always we make our damascus from salvaged material. Ban saw blade and mild banding strap. You could see the pattern in the blade when it was in 24 grit. It was crazy. I didnt get too many stats for this one. It had a 34" blade that was 5/16" thick at the shoulder and about 1/8" at the tip. Drastic distal taper and the diamond grind made the blade disapear in the hand. Much like our rapier blades but even more wicked becuase it is razor sharp.

Not really a true lycan slayer because there is no silver on it but it was forged on the winter solstice. The wolf heads are bronze and so is the pommel. The coffin wood handle is Coco.

Here is a link to a short youtube video that I took fo the sword.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUC8E2DHLvo

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Tim Seaton

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: sword         Reply with quote

Amazing matt, u gentalmen are razing the bar in damascus and in sword making!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keltic/tseaton
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am interested in what you have put together for the heat treat. Is it a homemade "pipe" type oven, or salt bath? (Pictures greatly appreciated.)

The blade looks great. I like more coarse, smaller layer counts in large blades. The band strap material should have been pretty good spring steel. There is a lot of variation in materials between manufacturers and applications for bandsaw blades though. Have you tested it for Rockwell hardness?

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not have a video or picture of heat treating this blade, however I do have a video of a sword done the same way.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=60938...&hl=en .
We used a vertical stacked electric kiln setup to keep the blade as strait as we could. We treated the material much like 1050 and quenched into AAA fast quench oil. Then tempered in the same oven at 450. I assure you the blade is quite springy and holds a good edge. No rockwell test this go around. We do have a rockwell tester and several billets of the same material so I will try to get a test done on the next blade. I only had a few mintutes to play with this sword before it had to go in a box.

We have several ways of heat treating, but hanging the blade in a vertical kiln seems the best way of getting even heat and the least warping.

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jul, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The furniture on the sword's very nice; I particularly like the wood used for the grip. I shall withhold comment on the blade, because I'm not that fond of that sort of work, save to note that the blade itself (disregarding the patterning) looks quite nice.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Twist Damascus Wolf Arming Sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic