Another Arma Bohemia Ear Dagger
Several months ago I bought an ear dagger from Czech dealer Arma Bohemia. At the time, I bought it on a whim because I had some money free up on me. I had been curious about ear daggers for quite some time, mostly because of their shape, and was curious how they'd feel "in hand" and so after seeing the one in stock, I grabbed it up.

I was impressed with it once it arrived but circumstances required that I sell it a few months after I purchased it. Since then, I've quit my old job and started a new one with a company that feels much more secure for me. I suppose selling it was the responsible thing to do, but I still regretted having to do it.

Anyway, because things are more secure and I had been saving money for the last year for a project that unfortunately didn't come to fruition for me this year, I had some funds available to buy myself a birthday present.

I spent my hard-saved money on another item from Arma Bohemia. This time I got myself a more ornate ear dagger based on a piece at the Museo Lázaro Galdiano, Madrid, Spain. The original is Italian and dates from the very late 15th century or early 16th century. The dagger didn't have an associated scabbard, so I picked an example from one shown at the Bayerisches Armeemuseum at Ingolstadt.

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

Click photographs for larger versions

The version by Arma Bohemia has simplified ornamentation details and lacks gilding on the blade, but has the same general shape and blade geometry. It feels great in the hand and is quite substantial. One thing I've learned is that while these are often very ornate, their dimensions create a very effective weapon. The design makes for an extremely secure grip held either traditionally or in the "ice pick" configuration. All in all, it's a very beautiful and deadly design.

I'll show some photos of it now and will feature it in my revamped collection gallery that I plan to publish soon.

Overall length: 15.125"
Blade length: 8.875"
Dagger materials: Steel, bone, and brass
Scabbard materials: Wood, steel, leather

Click photographs for larger versions

The dagger is exceptional. I'm extremely pleased with it. The scabbard is wood-cored and covered in black leather. it is shaped to mimic the geometry of the blade. It's a work of art in itself. The two fit together wonderfully with the dagger "snapping" into the scabbard and staying secure. The single-ring suspension point keeps the piece at the correct angle when worn.

Like my last purchase from Arma Bohemia, this one was smooth and easy. I paid with PayPal and shipping from the Czech Republic to me in San Francisco took a little more than a week.
Wow! If there's one thing you can't be accused of, Nathan, it'd be lack of taste. That piece is wonderful. I love the bone/brass combination, and the decorations are excellent.
Damn fine dagger there! I too love the bone/ brass combo. It's especially cool to see the inside of the ear as I always seem to see these daggers from straight on. Enjoy it!
I don't very often see the complex decorations of these daggers re-created, even though it is simplified the detail on this piece is very nicely done. Arma Bohemia seems to have remarkable resources (including their own collection) for historic dagger designs.
They really do come up with some neat stuff from time to time.
Beautiful stuff. I love it. :)
I'm just curious. Is the use of brass historically correct on swords or daggers replicas of the 15-th century?
G. Ghazarian wrote:
I'm just curious. Is the use of brass historically correct on swords or daggers replicas of the 15-th century?

Check it out:
Use of brass for hilts in the Middle Ages/Renaissance

I really wish this discussed materials:
Ear Dagger, Royal Armouries, Leeds, X.258
This may seem surprising but I love this style of dagger, like many designs from the italian renaissance this style is a bit unusual to the modern eye and has a combination of highly interesting details. Yours looks like a very well executed example.
Very nice piece. This isn't a dagger you see every day.

M.
Ear Daggers: The extremely awesome and stylish way of telling everyone else that you are just too cool and sophisticated ever to need to use the pommel of your knife as a blunt instrument on persons, places, and things.

The lines on the scabbard matching the blade flats is a really nice touch too.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: