Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Crappy times for a sword fan... let's all vent Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Vay Duong

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Crappy times for a sword fan... let's all vent         Reply with quote

Hello everyone, some of ya'll know me.... maybe from SFI. Just venting. Don't you hate those rough financial times when all your plans just crash? Yeah. I'm in the process of selling a ton of my stuff..... cause I needs the dough. Miscalculated the amount of my downpayment for a house, and now I'm in need of cash. Sucks. Had to put several orders from Albion on hold. Pieces that I really wanted. Had to cancel a purchase with Kevin Cashen. But priorities are priorities I guess. Like Mike at Albion said, "my toys can come later."

Anyone else wanna vent?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Crappy times for a sword fan... let;s all vent         Reply with quote

Vay Duong wrote:
Hello everyone, some of ya'll know me.... maybe from SFI. Just venting. Don't you hate those rough financial times when all your plans just crash? Yeah. I'm in the process of selling a ton of my stuff..... cause I needs the dough. Miscalculated the amount of my downpayment for a house, and now I'm in need of cash. Sucks. Had to put several orders from Albion on hold. Pieces that I really wanted. Had to cancel a purchase with Kevin Cashen. But priorities are priorities I guess. Like Mike at Albion said, "my toys can come later."

Anyone else wanna vent?

Hey Vay! Good to see you here, man. Was great meeting you in Atlanta. I'm still scratching my head at how weird it is that we meet across the country when we actually live 15 minutes from oneanother! So odd.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel ya, friend. I just got a catalog from Cold Steel....they had factory seconds of their Scottish broadsword for 150 bucks. They had light rust from shipping. Those are pretty good swords , from what I have studied. 150 bucks! Do I have 150 bucks extra to spend? Hell no. Not when it costs a days wages to fill up my damn gas tank!!! Yep....I feel ya, friend. MCM
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GRRR! I know what you mean, im stuck at this job that only pays me $5.25 an hr. and i only get like 12 hrs a week. Consequently it takes me a month and a half or so to save up enough for a deent word, the best i have been able to afford as of late is MRL. OH well, may God's will be done.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
James Sharpe

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vay,
I know how you feel. I was ready to buy another sword, had the money all saved up and everything. Then my Wife's car and my car both broke down the same weekend two weekends ago. I ended up getting hers fixed and decided that mine was beyond repair and just bought a car today. Oh well, I guess that I will have to start saving again. Wink
Vay Duong

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, we need to do some cutting Nathan. Hahaha, yeah it's great to meet so many people at the Blade Show, even when some of them are so close.

Yeah, I had to tell Mike to put all orders on hold, except the Svante and Lady V. I can't wait for those. Broke or not, I'm getting those! The house can wait....... maybe not. Grrrr...... who can seperate a man from his sword(s).

Hahaha, I remember those times when I was still going to school...... did a lot of dreaming, wishing I could afford this and that..... but books ended up coming first. Yeah, memories, back in the day when Albion was the exclusive Atrim dealer.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forget the house, I wish I could afford a Cashen, Lady V, and Svante at the same time. WTF?!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is another good reason for hanging on to what you have too. In the past I've had an itch for something new so I'd sell a few things. Then Bam! something happens, and I have that money sitting there. In the end I wind up with fewer swords and no money!
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just think--the house will come in handy as a place to keep all of your toys! First things first...after all, the swords won't keep you warm! Laughing Out Loud
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Vay Wink

I know how that is. I don't have a house to worry about (just yet) but other expenses are piling up. I run a fantasy writing project that needs illustrations and concept art, so some of my money is going there. The rest is going to the bills. I cancelled a CF order and will also be holding off on an Albion Sovereign. Also cancelled plans to put money down on a custom Odinblades sword and buying a Bugei Samurai. I was going hog-wild there for a while, collecting swords like nobody's business, but now I'm tightening the belt.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
I run a fantasy writing project that needs illustrations and concept art, so some of my money is going there.

Hah, hah... Maybe you can hire me so I won't be broke all the time... I draw pretty well.... Wink

I'm getting no swords for the duration (actually, the duration has already lasted 2 years, nearly, so I guess I should be getting used to no new things... Sad ). Seems like every time I did have any money something would blow up on me and there it would go. No new sharp pointy things....

Ah, well... things will be bound to pick up some day. Or so I keep saying, anyway... lol
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you wanna send me samples of your work, please do Wink
The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'll join the vent-fest... (unexpected) new furnace. Mad Cry I suppose I could have gotten swords instead, but I think
my family would've made me chop firewood with it. I would've snapped up Joe Fult's GBS. At least she went to a good
home.

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can second this Notion! I have had a Vinland on hold with Mike for months now!
Everytime i get close, something comes up.
I am still recovering from the trip to ATL for blade show actually
Stephen Wittsell

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dudes. Think ya'll got it bad. I slave away in the shop all day building Barons and Vinlands, Landgrafs and Sovereins
for all you great Albiion fans> But can I afford to buy even one for myself? Noooooooooooooo!
Guess I shouldn't complain though. I get to play with your's before you do. Laughing Out Loud Razz

Steve

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man, I know how everyone feels. Looks like I'm in some good company. Recently I was just getting ready to happily send a big chunk off to Albion and had saved for months to get a lump sum together. Had a tidy little nest egg put together, too. Then just a week before I was to send it off, I had a house fire that did $2,053.00 in damages (and my home insurance deductible just happens to be $2,000.00), then we almost immediately had a series of storms in the area that left me without power for four and a half days and another $1,100.00 spent in storm damage repairs (and that doesn't cover the destruction of a nice 8-foot diameter round table that I'd been constructing for periodic sword displaying). To top it all off right after all of that, one of my pets became extremely ill and I had to put out the rest of my savings in vet bills topping $790.00 ... the greater part of $4,000.00 in savings spent in just one month ... sheesh! Eek!

They say it comes in threes, so fire + storm + vet = three things in a row. I'm hoping I can start my savings again pretty soon. But there are some blessings to consider, too. The house didn't burn down, the storm didn't blow it away and my pet is on a fine road to full recovery.

I've been tempted a few times to sell off a few of my pieces to regain some of the recently spent hard earned money, but I'm with Patrick on hanging on to what you have. I'm just going to keep all my pieces and start scrounging and saving again. I sort of figure it like this ... I built up my savings once, I can do it again though it may take some time. Happy

"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim Lindsey wrote:

I've been tempted a few times to sell off a few of my pieces to regain some of the recently spent hard earned money, but I'm with Patrick on hanging on to what you have. I'm just going to keep all my pieces and start scrounging and saving again.

I've sold lots of my things over time to fund bill paying and such... I even miss some of the pieces I didn't even really like, anymore... So, I tend to agree with Patrick.... Don't sell stuff if you don't have to (or if you don't hate the piece, ofcourse Big Grin )
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been lucky.

Sell to upgrade.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jun, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim Lindsey wrote:
Man, I know how everyone feels. Looks like I'm in some good company. Recently I was just getting ready to happily send a big chunk off to Albion and had saved for months to get a lump sum together. Had a tidy little nest egg put together, too. Then just a week before I was to send it off, I had a house fire that did $2,053.00 in damages (and my home <A TITLE="Click for more information about insurance" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||insurance|AA1VDw">insurance</A> deductible just happens to be $2,000.00), then we almost immediately had a series of storms in the area that left me without power for four and a half days and another $1,100.00 spent in storm damage repairs (and that doesn't cover the destruction of a nice 8-foot diameter round table that I'd been constructing for periodic sword displaying). To top it all off right after all of that, one of my pets became extremely ill and I had to put out the rest of my savings in vet bills topping $790.00 ... the greater part of $4,000.00 in savings spent in just one month ... sheesh! Eek!

They say it comes in threes, so fire + storm + vet = three things in a row. I'm hoping I can start my savings again pretty soon. But there are some blessings to consider, too. The house didn't burn down, the storm didn't blow it away and my pet is on a fine road to full recovery.

I've been tempted a few times to sell off a few of my pieces to regain some of the recently spent hard earned money, but I'm with Patrick on hanging on to what you have. I'm just going to keep all my pieces and start scrounging and saving again. I sort of figure it like this ... I built up my savings once, I can do it again though it may take some time. Happy

I feel your pain Jim!

Last year I was in that boat with flooding, hail, and tornados!

Mother nature has been kinder this year, so far.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David Knutzen

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jun, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel you all on the money issues, even though, due to my young age, I've yet to have to deal with house/vet/disater expenses.

However, I'm going off to college in the fall, so I'll be seperated from all of my sharp and pointies!! And I just got that Vinland in, too. I feel like I'm getting divorced by my new bride.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Crappy times for a sword fan... let's all vent
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: