Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > aztec quilted armour construction details Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Neal Matheson

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: aztec quilted armour construction details         Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm giving a demo about aztec weaponry to a school. I want make an example of aztec quilted armour to show the kids. We will then throw atlatl darts and shoot arrows at it to show it's effectiveness (or not). I have made plenty of padded defenses before and have some nice thick denim like canvas for this project.
I am finding it hard to get detailed information on the aztec armour. Does anyone here know how many layers or at least how thick the armour was. From pictures it looks like a layered defence rather than a stuffed one.
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps more importantly than construction, would be thread count and weave as well as what type of material was being used would be vital, if you where trying to show effectiveness. Otherwise you become "Mythbusters". I was recently reading about this armour, I will see if there was any mention of the material or construction details. I do remember that Cortez had the local craftsmen make (400?) of this type of coat for his men as armour.
BTW: The Morion, aka “That Conquistador helmet”, it’s occurrence post dates Cortés by 40 years. (Sort of like giving Al Capone an M-16) So if you are talking about Cortés, give your guys sallets

Chris
Neal Matheson

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chris,
Well I'll have to use the denim like canvas but I am very careful to qualify stuff like this when I do it. It's useful to give an impression of what happened, or how things work but always these experiments should never be taken to seriously. This will be for the kids and if nothing else I want to highlight the problems with these kinds of experiment.
Thanks for the heads up on the sallet, I can get one of those but not a morion, lovely stuff
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Spanish among Cortez's soldiers (he lead a very motley crew!) would have often worn warhats like these, only without the bling, I think. Don't miss the attachment at the end.

Attachment: 47.5 KB
RAcabacete.jpg

Attachment: 75.14 KB
RA cabaset w bevor.jpg

Attachment: 99.63 KB
PhillySpanish4.jpg

Attachment: 26 KB
RAskullcap.jpg

Attachment: 96.09 KB
[ Download ]

jamesarlen.com
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
The Spanish among Cortez's soldiers (he lead a very motley crew!) would have often worn warhats like these, only without the bling, I think. Don't miss the attachment at the end.

So are these "Kettle Hats" or "early Morions" or should I simple admit that I like them and get over it? : )
Mackenzie
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:

So are these "Kettle Hats" or "early Morions" or should I simple admit that I like them and get over it? : )
Mackenzie

I tend to think that early Morions where just a sub-type of kettle hat with the brim turned up front and back.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 29 Jun, 2009 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always liked to think that those types of helmets were the evolution of chapel-de-fers. That skull cap one though, I've never seen anything like that before, it's even got space for ones ears! Eek!
From what I've seen of South American armour, it sometimes reminds me of Polynesian or Maori gear. Would it be made of flax or somtthing? Maybe Alpaca wool?
Oh, and good like teaching the kiddo's, show and tell has always got the 'awesome' factor. Laughing Out Loud

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:

I suspect the correct answer is "both."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > aztec quilted armour construction details
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic