German Sword Guard? Help Identify
I recently recieved a german WWII ceremonial bayonet and a guard for a sword that my german uncle is sending the rest of the parts of a sword to me at a later date.

All I have for the sword right now is the guard. It seems to be brass and is very heavy. I have included some pictures which show it and the markings on the bottom. I am curious if anyone recognizes it. I realize that it may be much easier when I have the blade but I thought I would get started. Whatever it is, it appears to be part of a ceremonial sword. It might be some cheapy, but the work looks very good.

I thank you for any information.

here are some pictures.

Attachment: 104.01 KB
guard1.jpg

Attachment: 40.3 KB
guard2.jpg

Attachment: 45.15 KB
guard3.jpg

It would appear to be a copy of the guard from The Sword of Charlemagne; from a modern reproduction, there are several replicas currently available on the market.

Check this article out here:

www.myArmoury.com/feature_charlemagne.html
Charlemagne inspired but it look oddly " Art Deco " to me so if it's a modern reproduction sword I'm curious about who made it ?

" Art Deco " or " Victorian inspired design ?

Not sure if the sword itself when/if we see it all will be as interesting but the guard is an interesting object in itself. :D
Thanks for the info guys! Seems like your info is spot on!

The M on the guard, and some other pictures that I found makes me believe it is an older Marto Sword. The rest of the sword should be here any day, and I will send a picture of the whole sword.

Ron

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: