Go to page 1, 2  Next

Inspired by Maximilian I swords
I made this sword just recently inspired by 2 of Maximilian I swords shown here
http://pics.myArmoury.com/view.html?ornate_swords05.jpg
posted by Nathan Robinson in this thread
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=16500

This is all handmade of 5160 spring steel and ebony and ivory handle with sterling silver ferrules. Pommel and cross guard are of mild steel.

Specs as follows;

Total length ---------- 53 3/8 inches
Blade length ---------39 1/8
Handle length ------- 9
Thickness at base -- 0.260
Width at base -------- 2
COG -------------------- 3 7/8
COP -------------------- 23 1/2
Weight ----------------- 4 lb 8 oz

This sword handles like a charm, even single handed.

Enjoy.

Gabriel

Attachment: 37.23 KB
IMG_2704.JPG

Attachment: 84.53 KB
IMG_2717.JPG

Attachment: 71.23 KB
IMG_2715.JPG

Attachment: 82.19 KB
IMG_2716.JPG

Attachment: 55.18 KB
IMG_2719.JPG

Attachment: 73.24 KB
IMG_2722.JPG

That's probably my favorite work of yours so far....nice job!
Dan
The "pieced" grip reminds me very much of this sword, attached. I quite like these sorts of grips. I suspect a lot of members of this site aren't extremely familiar with them.

Attachment: 20.6 KB
tuck.jpg

Clean simple lines that are staggeringly beatifull, very nice work !

Respect indeed,

Adam
I am struck mute, that is the most beautiful sword I think I have seen. Is that something that was commissioned, created for personal satisfaction or created to be sold?
My, my.

An old architect used to call these types of creations: "monastic beauty". Simple and an indescribable beaut.

BTW, Nathan? What blade is on the end of that handle in that picture of yours? Is it on the site?
Yes, that was quite a surprise visually and even more pleasing knowing that there are period swords with similar handles !

Not that is wouldn't be any less gorgeous if it was just a fantasy design. ;) :cool:
Perry L. Goss wrote:

BTW, Nathan? What blade is on the end of that handle in that picture of yours? Is it on the site?

I'm not Nathan, but I'm pretty sure that's a boar sword--thick and narrow, with a lanceolate swelling at the tip.
Sean Flynt wrote:
Perry L. Goss wrote:

I'm not Nathan, but I'm pretty sure that's a boar sword--thick and narrow, with a lanceolate swelling at the tip.

This is off-topic to this Makers forum so I've replied in private. It's either that or a tuck. I don't know. Either way, I'm sure it's very long and only sharp down near the point.
Wow :surprised:
A really awesome and deadly piece of art.
Congratulations. :D
The more you work within historical bounds the more I like your work. I'd love to see you pick a well-documented royal weapon and try to duplicate it exactly. I think the results would be amazing.
Quote:
The more you work within historical bounds the more I like your work. I'd love to see you pick a well-documented royal weapon and try to duplicate it exactly. I think the results would be amazing.

Same thing here. That sword is just lovely. Keep up the good work !
My thanks to all of you guys.

Your positive and encouraging comments are very much appreciated.

Randy W wrote:
I am struck mute, that is the most beautiful sword I think I have seen. Is that something that was commissioned, created for personal satisfaction or created to be sold?

I make my swords just for the sheer challenge and personal satisfaction of making them. Making something yourself is more fun than just buying and so commissioning is not a requirement.

Selling ? sure, you can always contact me if interested. If I can make one, I can make more and better.

Thanks again,

Gabriel
That's a beautiful sword!

Is it dismountable?

This is JUST MY OPINION but the quality of your swords is negatively affected by dismountable hilts. The growing historical emphasis of your work would point towards permanent assembly.

Again JUST MY THING! I know some like dismountable swords but I just don't get it at all. Your craftsmanship and aesthetic in this piece is great!

Jeremy
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
That's a beautiful sword!

Is it dismountable?

Yes, it is dismountable.

I always make my swords dismountable, because I believe it is the right way of making it in our day and age - just like we make our guns: dismountable.

However, if commissioned otherwise, I'll be more than happy to permanently assemble and peen the pommel, just like the good old historic way. Even though it will not look any different than the dismountables that I make, I found this a lot simpler and easier method.

The sword shown below, one of my earliest manufactured with a blade purchased from Albion's moat sale, is permanently assembled and peened. Now I regret making it that way, because to me, she feels dead! While the dismountable ones always feel alive.

Just my feeling and opinion.

Attachment: 57.19 KB
IMG_2757.JPG

Attachment: 98.65 KB
IMG_2760.JPG

Attachment: 98.79 KB
IMG_2761.JPG

G. Ghazarian wrote:

The sword shown below, one of my earliest manufactured with a blade purchased from Albion's moat sale, is permanently assembled and peened.

I wonder, what was that blade doing in the moat? What did you have to do to fix it?
I believe this was a Deltin bare blade left over from the days when Albion used to sell them.

The blade was somewhat rusted, otherwise in decent shape. It needed sanding, minor grinding and of course as is always the case with Deltin blades - sharpening.

Turning this blade into a sword was a lot of fun.
I'll gladly take that dead sword off your hands :lol: fantastic work ever think about making an XIIIa(b) or svante I'd love to see how they would come out
Jonathan Atkin wrote:
I'll gladly take that dead sword off your hands :lol: fantastic work ever think about making an XIIIa(b) or svante I'd love to see how they would come out

Unfortunately, I have given that sword to my sister long ago and she is now hanging in her studio. I had to borrow her today only to take the above attached pictures.

As for an XIIIa please take a look here
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14855
That is an absolutely gorgeous sword! The work looks very clean and well done- my complements, sir! I do have a question though; the sword seems heavy for a type XVIIIa of those dimensions. Have you included much distal-taper in the blade? From the proportions and COG I'd guess that you have but still...
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: