Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price increases on Del Tin at Kult of Athena Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Price increases on Del Tin at Kult of Athena         Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that Kult of Athena has raised prices on Del Tin products around 20 - 30 percent? Yow, what's up with that!? Worried And just when I was seriously considering one of those Schiavona swords, too. Sad
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Economics.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There have been three points in this price raise. Initially, when the products first were added, the prices jumped 20 percent in two days. Now, it seems they have nudged up another 30 percent in the last month or so. I paid $354 for a 5161 in February and when it was readded to inventory about a month ago, it was in the $450ish, now its raised again to $489. Sword prices have went up across the board, so it was only a matter of time before KoA followed suite.

Alot of those Del Tins are approaching the same price point as Albion and A&A, while being somewhat higher than ATrim. I have always liked Del Tin, but I think they just got a little too rich for my blood. Sad, I wanted a few more for myself.

All I can say is that I hope everyone got their good deal on the Del Tin they wanted. Those prices were the best ever and I was glad I was able to pick up a couple items for myself. Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What bothers me is how swords which have been in stock for a few months went up, its not like it cost more to keep them on the shelves, I can understand out of stock items being pricier, but the increase on in stock pieces is a blatant disservice to those saving up. I am not not going to bother with the two I was eyeing, no way is a Del Tin worth anywhere near $450 plus save a few pieces.

I think the answer is the Del Tin asks retailers to keep prices at certain levels, but man, not customer friendly here.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:
What bothers me is how swords which have been in stock for a few months went up....

Yeah, that was a bit silly from a customer standpoint. Some of those items have been in stock since day one and went up in price three times...I don't get it. Right now, KoA is essentially charging what Del Tin charges direct to the US (including shipping) - so, their number one selling point offers no real savings now.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed, I love KOA, I have been very vocal in supporting them myself, but this is less than thrilling, too bad to all involved. Sad
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:
I think the answer is the Del Tin asks retailers to keep prices at certain levels, but man, not customer friendly here.

I think that may be the case. I've heard over the years how Del Tin doesn't allow their retailers much, if any, flexibility on pricing.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I swore to myself that i'd never buy another Del Tin, but I was sorely tempted to get one from KOA. If certain models had shown up there in stock, I probably would have jumped. Not now, though.

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Wed 17 Jun, 2009 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
M. Eversberg II

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:
What bothers me is how swords which have been in stock for a few months went up, its not like it cost more to keep them on the shelves, I can understand out of stock items being pricier, but the increase on in stock pieces is a blatant disservice to those saving up. I am not not going to bother with the two I was eyeing, no way is a Del Tin worth anywhere near $450 plus save a few pieces.

It's the same principal that the gas stations followed during that major price fluctuation phase. Sure, the price of oil per barrel has gone up, but oil from that individual barrel shipment isn't going to be gasoline in your pumps for another few months; it's a gamble to generate enough capital to keep the supply the same while retaining roughly the same profit margin.

Or it could just be Del Tin dictating prices.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought about $3000 worth of stuff from KoA last year. I honestly would have apperciated an email saying:

Hey valued customer, Our Del Tins are about to increase by 30%. Here is your last chance to save!

I still will do business with them because they have the best prices on alot of stuff, but I still ain't happy about the DT price jump. Had I known, I would have bought three swords yesterday. Mad

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Last edited by JE Sarge on Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat while they were cheap but the point of them getting into the reange of other options, or even over the range of other options, tips the balance a bit.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi
But the Mr. Del Tin is not enrolled on this forum?
I almost want to ask to Him because 30% of increase.
I almost want to ask to him to enroll himself. His name I have not found here .
He should be here, however. Won't it be hidden as the moderators of the forum? Mhmmm Razz
Jokes apart: the transport for the United States is very increased.

Mau
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
Hi
But the Mr. Del Tin is not enrolled on this forum?

He is a member here: Fulvio Del Tin.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The KOA Del Tin prices are now higher than those at Art Elwell's site - http://www.arts-swords.com/ - That may not last long though - he may not have raised his prices yet.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just chuffed that I got my 5155 when I did.....
Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I bought my Del Tin 5146 at somewhere under $400 and I think I got the first one offered.

I think I first noticed a price increase on this specific sword which went up to something around $550 but the other swords prices stayed mostly the same if I remember correctly.

Just looking now the Del Tin 5146 ( Marquardo Von Randeck sword ) is now at $886.95 Eek!

This sword is so nice and unique with it's prominent mid-ridge that even at $550 it seemed like a good price and it actually seemed under priced for what I got it for ? Maybe the price was actually a mistake and I got a bigger bargain than otherwise ?

Having dealt with Ryan at KoA many times I'm inclined to believe that the much higher prices are not under his control or his choice and are being driven by either Del Tin and/or market forces.

There are still a lot of Del Tin swords that might appeal to me if they are " unique " enough to stand out as something nobody else is making but it does make getting an Albion, A & A or even a custom Tinker much more tempting.

I am very happy with my Del Tin 5146 and even more after I sharpened it and refined the geometry of the point that was more like a blunt version of a diamond point but now has the proper geometry of a true diamond point: At around $400 a little DIY seemed " normal " but at $886.95 I would want a perfect sharp rather than having to make it sharp myself !

Now due to Italian laws I think Del Tin has no choice but to export blunts, and most Del Tin blunts can be sharpened easily enough if one has the skills or the tools but the blunt point was too " crude " and needed a lot of careful file work to clean up. ( This issue is limited to only this design because of the mid-ridge and shouldn't affect most other del Tin swords ).

At $886.95 one wants better geometry even for a blunt,

Maybe more details or a bit off-topic for this Topic but I think giving full context about why I'm extremely pleased with my Del Tin at the price I got it versus how it would have seemed over priced for me considering the DIY work I did, even though this turned out real nice and it's one of my favourite swords. ( The materials, assembly and steel/heat treat are all satisfactory ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just looking now the Del Tin 5146 ( Marquardo Von Randeck sword ) is now at $886.95

In my opinion, that's way too much. I suspect the prices are dictated more by Del Tin than Kult of Athena. Regardless of the where the message is to be delivered, it most certainly will arrive loud and clear when the amount of orders are affected.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could be MAP pricing. Anyone in the retail world knows what that is. The manufactures try and keep the advertised price the same across the board by region in order to prevent another retailer undercutting another wholesale customer. One possible reason, and I've seen this happen in the retail music world, is he introduced the items at what he thought was a fair price to attract interest, got caught by the supplier, and forced to either fall in line with MAP or lose his dealers license. Don't know for sure though and this is completely speculation on my part. Is a bummer though. There were a few models I was eyeing but at those prices I'd be better served by an A&A or a squire line Albion. Oh well Sad Those Christian Fletcher/ Gus Trim imports are still a great deal!!
Winter is coming
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own more Del Tins than any other brand, and I still love them alot. But with this large price increase, I have to put my plans on increasing my collection on hold. I agree with what everyone here is saying: Del Tins were a bargain at the previous prices, but at the current rate, A&A, Albion Squire, and Atrim/Tinker swords are a better deal price-wise. Such a shame, too, with the economy the way it is. Seems to me the prices should have stayed lower, if only to try to keep sales numbers up. At the new prices, I would think it only serves to squash what sales momentum there was. Confused
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Aaron Morris

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this may be unrelated but locally the prices on chain link fabric has gone up 100% in the last year or so, perhaps steel is just becoming more expensive

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price increases on Del Tin at Kult of Athena
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: