Hanwei Scottish Court Sword. Any Opinions?
I am thinking about purchasing a Hanwei Scottish Court Sword. I am concerned about its authenticity, particularly with respect to its weight, which strikes me as excessive for a small sword of the 1730's. Any reviews or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Ron
Its okay, but it really is too large and heavy. I've handled both the standard version as well as the version with the fencing blade. The standard version has a very beefy blade, and the fittings seems to be over-proportioned. The balance is good, but due to the weight it simply doesn't feel like a typical antique smallsword. The fencing version has a lighter blade, but with the exact same fittings, so it balances heavily in the hand and therefore isn't very "lively" at all.

Now, it also is very inexpensive, and I think its a decent sword for the price. Its very sturdy, and its pretty good looking to the average eye. If you study a lot of period pieces, you'll definately notice that the individual bars are a little "fat" looking, and the relief work isn't as crisp as one usually sees on antiques. As always, it comes down to how much you want to spend to get the better details.
Re: Hanwei Scottish Court Sword. Any Opinions?
Ronald David Cadieux wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing a Hanwei Scottish Court Sword. I am concerned about its authenticity, particularly with respect to its weight, which strikes me as excessive for a small sword of the 1730's. Any reviews or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Ron

It is a very good copy of an historic sword, which belonged to Irvine of Drum. The original sword is pictured in the Sword and the Sorrows. However, as you and Bill both commented, it is on the heavy side and probably will not lend itself very well to fencing. I did see what appeared to be this sword used in a recent version of The Count of Monte Cristo, although they could have been using the practical version.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: