Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > OK so I've been changing a lot of diapers. . . Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: OK so I've been changing a lot of diapers. . .         Reply with quote

And thus the eventual question emerged,

How did medieval knights/soldiers etc. urinate/deficate in different types of armour?

I imagive this would have been sinpler in the age of mail but what about later? How did this change? What about differences between types?

Firstly, Let me say that I am very ignorant of the "ins and outs" of plate mail and full harness through the centuries and so what is crystal to many of you is not to me.

Do many harnesses make simple allowances for this?

Thanks for humoring me. . .

Surprised Happy

Jeremy
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You go before.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy

Getting in and out of armour is generally not a quick nor a one man business and so if there was the possibility you were going to see action soon, you carried on with the only course open to you.

They didn't wear diapers so that leaves only one option.............

Must have caused hell with rust though.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK guys- point taken! WTF?! Surprised Confused Happy
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd imagine that most late medieval harnesses were not all that difficult to relieve ones self in, depending of course on the nature of the relief sought. If we assume that the more common (and simpler) issue was in question, I'd imagine that a simple lifting of the maille skirt and untying of the flap on the hose would suffice. Most plate armour didn't really cover the nether regions much. In the 16th century there may have been a steel codpiece to deal with but these were often easily removed, perhaps for this very purpose. Maille braies (like boxer shorts) may cause problems however, and if you're wearing something like Henry VIII's FULL suit of plate, I think the above suggestions to either "go before" or "carry on with the only course open to you" are probably the only practical solutions.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Austin wrote:
I I think the above suggestions to either "go before" or "carry on with the only course open to you" are probably the only practical solutions.

Just eating beans has scary implications with that Henry VIII fully enclosed suit even if just passing wind!

Sure makes wearing a kilt in battle seem to have some advantages: Poop and run if you have the " runs ". Razz Laughing Out Loud

( Or naked Celts maybe ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apparently dysentery was rampant in the English army trooping across northern France to Calais during Henry V's 1415 campaign. A lot of men surrendered to the inevitable and left off hose and braes for easier relief on the march. The experience of wearing hose and braes all day reminds a fellow that what little we modern men have to do to prepare relieve ourselves is such a blessing. Eek!
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hahaha. I've actually, ummm, relieved myself last year at a fair. The porta-potty was the hardest thing about it (those these weren't designed with an armoured man in mind). Granted I had chauses and braes on which may have made it easier, that and the B&B rode up. But braced against, say, a tree, I don't see where this would be too hard. Oh! I had a lowered arm removed. (Might've help) geez, what a weird posting...
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It does put a new slant on the squire's job of cleaning his master's armor after a battle.
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some people don't belive me when I explain that an epiedemy of dysentery was akin to a half-victory: how would you run or fight with a so bad situation?

Is also true that a man can overcome such distractions, you can see for you if you go to se this....

BEWARE!!! This photo may offend the sensibility of the viewer. There isn't anything of sexual nature or related, but the rappresentation of the result of a very serious case of dysentery may give disconfort to a sesible user.

http://www.bastardidentro.it/misc/bastardiden...005014.jpg

/BEWARE!!

but I think that even in this case there is a significant drop of performances (more from the ilness per se, than from the foul)
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I imagine it wouldn't be that far gone from using the restroom when dressed in the USN dress blues. (those buttons are hell!) they make it tight, and it does look sharp, but when you've been drinking... typically you just go before, or hold it until after.
"Whoever desires peace, let him prepare for war."
-Vegetius
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
Apparently dysentery was rampant in the English army trooping across northern France to Calais during Henry V's 1415 campaign. A lot of men surrendered to the inevitable and left off hose and braes for easier relief on the march. The experience of wearing hose and braes all day reminds a fellow that what little we modern men have to do to prepare relieve ourselves is such a blessing. Eek!

Actually, it wasn't uncommon to roll down your hose (at least before the joining of hose in the mid-15th century), leaving your braies the only cover. This could be because it was a hot day, or you had the runs, or when worn over a second pair of hose for fashion, or whatever. So for the English archers at Agincourt, the relief was simply to drop braies and do what comes naturally, or at least as naturally as dysentery allows. For the gentlemen in armor so afflicted at that battle, I would imagine that a change of braies would be in order, or that perhaps some had to forego the leg harness in order to allow for the relief needed.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele A. Pini wrote:

Is also true that a man can overcome such distractions, you can see for you if you go to se this....

BEWARE!!! This photo may offend the sensibility of the viewer. There isn't anything of sexual nature or related, but the rappresentation of the result of a very serious case of dysentery may give disconfort to a sesible user.

http://www.bastardidentro.it/misc/bastardiden...005014.jpg

/BEWARE!!

but I think that even in this case there is a significant drop of performances (more from the ilness per se, than from the foul)

One must admire the strength of that gentleman's convictions...
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh this reminds me of my first battle i did=D
normaly the batlle had started an hour before but for some reason they delayed it and my ex captains orderd us to wait in armour. This being my first battle i hadn't thought about going to pee before hand so yeah, just when i was about to go to tha toilet we got the order to march up on the field. a bit worried i said to the men beside me: " damn, no f*cking trees around here and i have to pee!"
his response was simple "just fight hard mate, you'll be unable to pee because of hydration"
believe it or not but i did!
Robin Palmer

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all.

Referance the fight on regardless might I point to the position of troops in the pacific war who had disentry most simply cut the seat out of their trousers and fought on regardless.

A small point while full hose were the fashion I would think that split hose would be more usefull even in plate given brais are made baggy split hose allow complete freedom of movement something which even the best full hose dont. I have seen enough full hose properly made cut on the bias for stretch split at crutch to know they have limits. Plus while full hose were is use in mid 15th century the split hose remained in use at least to 1525 given that split hose would certainly ease the problem considerably. Does anyone have any evidence to say that knights didnt use split hose in preferance to full hose.

Yours Bob

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > OK so I've been changing a lot of diapers. . .
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic