What kind of armour is this? Maximilian? Something else?
This is one of the strangest and most elaborate armours I have ever seen:

[ Linked Image ]

It's Joachim II "Hector," elector of Brandenburg. The breastplate and tassets look Maximilian in style - the metal fluting - but those thick braided bands around the arms and legs are like nothing I've ever seen before. Is there a name for this kind of armour?
The bands are a roping style like a "puff and slash" theme that borrows from fashion.
It looks Maximilian to me. Some Maximilian suits (and later ones) have roped borders and sections. These just seem (very) exaggerated.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this picture? I'm interested in art from this period which depicts the armour and costume of the time.
That is Maximilian in the Landschnecht fashion, of the middle to later years of the period of the Maximilian armour craze.
Looks different because all we ever see is the "normal" Maximilian armour in most collections, but there was actually a lot of this made like the one seen in the painting. But, for the soldier, it was in pieces. This guy in the painting was pretty wealthy, obviously, so complete harness like this was a fashion craze for nobles, until it went out of style.
I like this type, and it will probably the next type I have made for me.
It can be found on Wikimedia Commons. They actually have a decent selection of armour art there if you know where to look--a lot of high-res images of 15th century swiss chronicle illuminations.
The "Knight and the Blast Furnance" has a picture of an armour of this type and style.

My copy is loaned out right now, or I would dig up the picture.
William Knight wrote:
It can be found on Wikimedia Commons. They actually have a decent selection of armour art there if you know where to look--a lot of high-res images of 15th century swiss chronicle illuminations.

Thanks, William!
Chad Arnow wrote:
It looks Maximilian to me. Some Maximilian suits (and later ones) have roped borders and sections. These just seem (very) exaggerated.

It is just the painter's own style, a bit distorting perspective.

There is a tendency in german art of this period at distorting shapes in a way we could call "modernist": a little bit of the style of Salvador Dalì but much ante litteram.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: