i have questions of the Paul Chen/Hanwei Claymore
Has anyone had any experience with this sword? I have read on this forum about the langets being bolted into the blade, but i was given one and I have been asking around what people thought about it and have been getting a mixed reaction. Some really like the sword because it is very light for a Claymore and is easily manuverable, while other bring up concerns of the quality of construction and of course the quality control of paul chen.

Personally, I like it. It is a perfect hand and a half for my height (5 foot 7 inches), and i can use it pretty well. I was thinking about using it to start test cutting, but I was to get opinions of the sword before I go and do that.

Any help can be great!

Thanks! First post! :)
Re: i have questions of the Paul Chen/Hanwei Claymore
John Requard wrote:
I have read on this forum about the langets being bolted into the blade, but i was given one and I have been asking around what people thought about it and have been getting a mixed reaction.

I'm the source for that info. I held one in my hands 5 or 6 years ago that had a rivet that went through both langets and the blade. Perhaps they don't do that anymore, but I saw it with my own two eyes back then. :)
Chad Arnow wrote:
John Requard wrote:
I have read on this forum about the langets being bolted into the blade, but i was given one and I have been asking around what people thought about it and have been getting a mixed reaction.

I'm the source for that info. I held one in my hands 5 or 6 years ago that had a rivet that went through both langets and the blade. Perhaps they don't do that anymore, but I saw it with my own two eyes back then. :)

Mine does not, so i guessed they changed the design. But have you cut with it? I am thinking about starting out with something like vegetables and melons, then moving onto bottles and maybe a tatami mat(I will oil first!), but i was just wondering if you (Chad) or if anyone else has used it in recreation or for cutting?

Once again, Thanks!
John Requard wrote:
Mine does not, so i guessed they changed the design. But have you cut with it?

I didn't cut with it. I checked it out at a booth at a Ren Faire, so no cutting was allowed. :)
Someone else has observed the same feature. From a review on SBG:

Quote:
The one MINOR criticism I have regarding construction involved the peenings, of which the blade has two (the tang peened to the pommel, and the blade drilled and peened to the hilt at the langets). Both could have been ground and sanded a bit neater, as both exhibited rough edges.

(bolding mine)
My thoughts on the CASI/Hanwei claymore are found In this other topic.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: