Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wrist protection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Wrist protection         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any good suggestions for wrist protection? The reason I ask is that I am currently learning Scottish Basket Hilt Broadsword, and wrist-sniping is quite a common tactic. I don't want to move from wooden wasters to steel blunts until i have some decent protection to prevent my wrist getting broken, and I can't use gauntlets as they are too bulky for the basket.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello:

I've used several things over the last few years. Current favorite is a thin leather bracer that laces over my gambeson,. I've also used a leather gauntlet that had steel plates on just the cuff protecting my wrist and forearm. I've also used heavy leather bracer very briefly, but found it restricted my movement too much. I think David Teaque of HRG, up here may use a thin leather or steel plate, don't remember. I also have pictures of Stephan Hand of Stoccata using a leather gauntlet with heavy leather forearm protection.

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Jimmy Reinstatler

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could try getting a pair of demi-gauntlets? Illusion Armoring makes a relatively cheap pair that might not restrict movement with the basket.

http://www.illusionarmoring.com/
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For steel longsword sparing, I use 3 very light (20 gauge) spring steel (1050 steel) strips that i cold forged a mid-rib into along with some slight dishing. I then heat treated them (quenched and then tempered at ~560 deg). I currently have these crudely affixed to the forearm of my gambeson (with tape! =/ ) , but i plan on sewing leather tabs with arming points and tieing these on, eventually. So far they have worked perfectly...they are so light i don't notice them at all, they aren't bulky, they don't bind, and they don't shift around at all like bracers i've seen/used.
Steven H

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jimmy Reinstatler wrote:
You could try getting a pair of demi-gauntlets? Illusion Armoring makes a relatively cheap pair that might not restrict movement with the basket.

http://www.illusionarmoring.com/

For efficacy - I have to second this idea. However, they are a standard piece of SCA kit and so can be had from a variety of vendors and in a variety of styles.

Enjoy,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use blunts with basket hilts for sparring. It is pretty easy to make yourself a pair of demi-gauntlets out of 12 oz leather. Very cheap too. You can ask Springfield Leather to sell you some scrap leather. I made two pairs just last week. One for my rattan basket hilt and one for my steel blunt basket hilt.

First you will make a cuff that goes around your wrist. Then you will cut out a piece that covers the back of your hand up to your knuckles. The most important part is that you cover the thumb-bone up to the joint. That is the most likely to get hit and broken with a basket hilt. Since its leather, you can trim it later if you need to. You will then rivet that piece to the cuff in two places near the ends (near the thumb and pinky). Rivet it loosely so the two pieces pivot. You will then rivet two straps to hold the demi in place across the palm of your hand. One that goes across the palm and a second that goes over the meaty part of the thumb to keep that thumb tucked in. They can attach to the same point on the pinky side and will form a "V" shape in your open hand. I have about 4 pairs of demi's for different size basket hilts.

It is late now an I can not get to my armor to show you a picture. I will also be gone all day tomorrow. If you are interested, I can post a picture the following day.

Regarding buying demi-guantlets.... most SCA basket-hilts are large and the demi-guantlets are typically made to fit those. The basket hilts on most blunts I have seen are very narrow and will not fit most SCA demi's. The exception might be the Hanwei Practical Mortuary sword ($150 Cult of Athena). The basket hilt on that is very low and should work with most SCA demi-gauntlets.

An additional recommendation I have is to cover the outside of basket hilts with 3 oz leather. Most basket hilts I have seen have very wide gaps in the basket. The basket does provide a good skeleton to cover with thin leather. Poke holes in the leather and use thin string to tie it to the basket at various places. With rubber tips on the blunts, a leather cover on the outside of the basket hilt and demi-gauntlets... you will have complete hand protection and no loss of finger dexterity.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wrist protection
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic