Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A May Highlight Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: A&A May Highlight         Reply with quote

May Highlight - New Items from Arms & Armor

Hello from A&A. It has been a very busy month around the shop and we have been working hard to fill orders and make some interesting new things. In fact that is what is up for the May Highlight!

Some new items, the #219 Training Rapier and the #218 Side Sword Trainer . These swords are a result of a lot of research and a great deal of testing by many in the WMA community. Check them out at ARMS & ARMOR News. Let us know if you have any questions or want to place an order for yours today. We have structured these items to meet a variety of needs in the WMA community and hope you will find what you are looking for in a training rapier.

Check out some new items on the Muster Page. A Bec de Corbyn prototype and some excellent knife and pick sets. Drop us an email aa@armor.com or give a call 800 745 7345 if you are interested.

Have a great May from Arms & Armor Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want one of those Bec de Corbyn something fierce. The by-knife sets are great, too.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I want one of those Bec de Corbyn something fierce. The by-knife sets are great, too.

Get to the Bec de Corbin FAST I'm tempted, very tempted, if you get one and somebody else gets the other one soon I might save some cash I shouldn't be spending. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OOOOOPS, too late, P.M. sent to Craig about the Bec de Corbin: Not a done deal yet but 99.99% there. Wink Laughing Out Loud
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Get to the Bec de Corbin FAST I'm tempted, very tempted, if you get one and somebody else gets the other one soon I might save some cash I shouldn't be spending. Wink Laughing Out Loud

No worries. I can't do it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

No worries. I can't do it.

That's too bad, but if if I ever sell it ( low probability of that ) I would give you first dibs on it. Big Grin

Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the Bec de Corbin last night. Man I wish I had the money to buy one.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like how there was a 10 minute delay between contemplating and the actual purchase, Jean. Laughing Out Loud

The Becs look pretty nice, but I'm still drooling over the remaining pollhammer...

www.addisondelisle.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
I like how there was a 10 minute delay between contemplating and the actual purchase, Jean. Laughing Out Loud

The Becs look pretty nice, but I'm still drooling over the remaining pollhammer...

10 minutes of futile no no no no no no no don't .......... O.K. I will: These decisions tend to make themselves although if I really couldn't afford it I wouldn't, but it is cutting into the reserves and making the next stupid decision easier to NOT make. Razz Laughing Out Loud
( Assuming someone can understand that convoluted sentence. Razz Eek! Laughing Out Loud )

Seriously, I do tend to make up my mind fast when I see something I like. Wink

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What was the difference between A and B?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
What was the difference between A and B?

A has a different back spike than B for one thing:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Bec details         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Yes the back spike is a little different shape between the two. There are also some slight differences in overall length and such. They are pretty close.

Best
Craig
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Addison C. de Lisle wrote:

10 minutes of futile no no no no no no no don't .......... O.K. I will: These decisions tend to make themselves although if I really couldn't afford it I wouldn't, but it is cutting into the reserves and making the next stupid decision easier to NOT make. Razz Laughing Out Loud
( Assuming someone can understand that convoluted sentence. Razz Eek! Laughing Out Loud )

Seriously, I do tend to make up my mind fast when I see something I like. Wink

Actually, that was about the time frame involved when I bought the last A&A original model Bec d'Borbyn about a year ago in an early (if not the first) Muster sale.

In my case, if I recall correctly, it was under 5 minutes from seeing it online to decision to buy. The only hesitation being what my wife might do to me with it if I bought it - but it all ended well. Getting ready to carve an inscription on the haft, commmorating the fact that it is indeed "The Last"
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Prototype Bec         Reply with quote

Hi All

I had a query on what the new Bec de Corbyn will look like so I told them I would post a pic here. It is based on an original that we did a custom of, like the two on the Muster page. This is what the original piece was closer to with the dragon/monster head and fluted beads.

This is the only head we have of this at the moment. First run is of to the foundry. This may one may appear on the muster page soon Happy

Best
Craig

Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh boy....

Do I pay rent or buy a new bec? I have the A&A Burgundian axe and I absolutely love it, but those becs are making me drool something awful. Alas, my wife would kill me (probably with my Burgundian axe too) Razz

Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 25 May, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig, looks great... I won't be able to resist...
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 May, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love those Becs! I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of those. By the way, I hope it's not too off-topic, but I noticed that the Schloss Erbach longsword is redesigned again - most noticeably the pommel. Craig, I sure admire the way you guys improve your items from time to time to make them look and feel even more authentic! Hopefully I'll be able to hold the latest variant and compare it to mine which is nearly ten years old, yet still a sublime sword in itself. Cool
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could not resist the detailed prototype so I had to snap it up! Looking forward to it.... I think I can supply a small army now...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got it late last week with my Rondel ( custom order ) and it looks and handle great: The point isn't really sharp but it really doesn't have to be as it went through the cardboard box it came in with alarming ease, it's deeply hollow ground ( actually cast ) on all sides giving a prominent ridge on each side and on the edges and these probably reduces resistance to penetration a great deal.

Anyway, not sharp but with a thin enough edge geometry that for penetration it doesn't matter much.

The Bec itself is very massive and would be sharp or sharpenable but the actual angle would be obtuse so a fine edge would be unhelpful, but as with the point the geometry of the Bec and the mass of the weapon makes penetration easy.

As well the lack of a fine edge means that the edges are robust and would resist damage easily.

The hammer part has 3 heavy heavy points that although rounded would make an " impression " on unarmoured opponents and be very grabby on plate armour. As well there might be some potential for the space between the points to be used to trap or jamb a sword and maybe snap it off ? The Bec de Corbin has a lot of corners and nooks and crannies that apart from being aesthetically pleasing would have tactical uses in blocking, trapping or breaking other weapons.

The one I chose (A) has the Bec that stands proud and I really like the way it looks.

The other one (B) that is still available also looks interesting but I prefer mine to it.

The other prototype with the dragons head is also interesting but I like the Bec on my version prototype best.

Oh, I wonder if a butt spike might not be an interesting addition? Craig hasn't replied to my questions about possibly making me one yet that I could add to the butt myself: A short but heavy butt/tail spike.

The original or the type this Bec is inspired from may not have had a butt spike but a lot of the Bec de Corbin/Poleaxe weapons did have butt spikes: So I think it would be a credible option to add to the production model?

Bottom line: I'm very happy with it. Big Grin Cool

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Schloss         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I love those Becs! I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of those. By the way, I hope it's not too off-topic, but I noticed that the Schloss Erbach longsword is redesigned again - most noticeably the pommel. Craig, I sure admire the way you guys improve your items from time to time to make them look and feel even more authentic! Hopefully I'll be able to hold the latest variant and compare it to mine which is nearly ten years old, yet still a sublime sword in itself. Cool

Thanks Ed, always good to hear from you. We try to keep our pieces improving with each one we make. Having the original of the Schloss to work with over a long period of time helps a great deal as well. It gives you time to comprehend more nuance and detail.

Keep well
Craig

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A May Highlight
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: