Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valiant Armoury signature line? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Valiant Armoury signature line?         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm surprised there hasn't been more feedback about those on the forum so far. Honestly I'm impressed by the company’s approach, taking into account the expectations and feedback of the sword community. That said, and with the bristol and Kriegschwert being now available (or they will be shortly) and a few others new designs to come soon, I'd be very interested to hear more about those, especially as far as blade quality is concerned. Beside this review by P Southren on sword buyer here (http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/castile.html) I haven't been able to gather much infos on those.

If you have one in hand or soon will be, let us know!

Cheers,

Julien
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, seconded Julien. I too, would like to hear something about these swords from those who have them.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think there are quite a few of us that are curious...I just don't think there are many (or any) of us that have one of these things in hand to play with and talk about. Right now its all just speculation with anticipation and many of us have been on that roller coaster before. I'm in wait and see mode. Happy
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying the Castile, and I too would like to hear what people have to say about it. I really like the direction that Valiant Armoury is going in. The Signature line looks quite impressive, as do their Atrim swords, and that new two handed sabre that should be coming out in the fall is amazing looking.
Nathan.
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had two VA Castile swords... the base and the signature. I LOVED the look of them... but I found them a bit to heavy for a single handed sword, so I sold them.

The Castile was very well built and the customer service from Sonny at Valiant Armoury was off the charts... but it just was not the sword for me.

I'm expecting both the Bristol and the Kreigswart tomorrow... and I will do a review of both of them likely over the weekand... so hopefully that should help those who are currious about these swords get a bit more info.

Big Grin
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's brilliant Sean.

Looking forward to read your thoughts on those two swords (especially the bristol).

Cheers,

J
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a Signature Line Castile which I purchased through Christian Fletcher,
but it came from Valiant. For what I paid ( around $ 400 ) this a very nice package,
but I think it HAS been noted that the Castile design is not based on any historical
artifact ( or maybe loosely based on something, but I don't know what ).

The scabbard and rig are very CF-like and appear done quite well. I've always been
a little finicky about scabbard-work, so appreciate the apparent quality. The blade fits
well, neither too tight or too loose. The " mud flaps " give it some real character.

The hilt, grip, and pommel appeal to my ideas of a sword being less fancy; although
I think the grip-size is a bit large. Everything is tight and solid. I DO recall asking that
the package be specifically checked for this and I believe CF contacted people
accordingly ...

The blade, however, IS noticeably -- but not terribly -- uneven in places. That is, the
fuller's lines waver a bit, as do the edges -- but again, this is NOT an enormous
detriment when you consider -- if you commissioned CF to do similar work on an
Albion or Atrim or custom-blade -- you'd likely pay 3X what you would. Is it notably
heavier ? probably ...

I like the package quite a bit. Very handsome. Neat and sweet.

I ALSO briefly had the Base Model, which I did not find nearly as attractive.

I'm really looking forward to the Hedemark and Actium ...
Greg Lammers

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a Castile and a Bristol, though the Castile will soon change hands.

The Castile is, as has been stated before, quite heavy. It feels too heavy for a single hand unless you keep it moving; it holds a LOT of momentum, and if used with that in mind, it's a wonderful blade. It's got a VERY comfortable grip, though. I'm quite pleased with it, and I know its future owner will be as well.

The Bristol, however, is mine for the keeping, and it is a BEAUTY.

The handle is plenty large enough for two hands should one want them, though the sword is FAR lighter than the Castile. Very light, and VERY fast. It cuts like it was made to, and feels wonderful in the hand. A friend of mine doesn't like how wide the handle is, and how quickly it tapers, but I find that my last finger or two tends to naturally wrap around that tapered edge very comfortably.

The blade has some minor errors, such as the fuller tapering slightly off to the side, but it's nothing beyond what a close inspection would show. The pommel suits the blade well, and is a VERY comfortable means for forming the hand-and-a-half grip the blade has that I've grown so fond of.

If you're planning in investing in a smaller blade soon, I can't possibly think of a better option. Really.

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
____\\__
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have my Bristol and Kreigswart now... will be doing a detailed review shortly.

First impresions are very favorable. Both are very attractive swords with great scabbards. So far I have only dry handled them a bit, examined them visualy, and cut some paper to check the edge. I look forward to doing some cutting with them tomorrow.

I agree with the above statments about the Castile... it was a very attractice, solid, well built sword with a great cutting type X style blade. Once you got it moving it cut VERY well. The grip was very comfortable for me as well. I just found the whole blade a bit too heavy for a single handed sword... that was my only problem with it.

I love the feel of both the Bristol and the Kreigswart. The Bristol is a short, fast little sword... I can't picture wanting to use two hands on such a small sword tho... it would be awkward to me. It's a perfect single handed sword. The Kreigswart is lighter then the Castile, but the grip easily accomidates two hands... so it feels a lot better in one hand, and GREAT in two.

More to come!

Big Grin
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I owned the Castile, but gave it up. Though it was a very nice sword for the money, it was a little too heavy for my personal tastes.

I almost ordered a Bristol last night, but ran into a slight problem. Though the websites say they are 'IN STOCK' they are not. Apparently, after you buy it, the order is placed and it takes 2-4 weeks to get it due to the leather work being done stateside. I would not have a problem with this, but I was told that my name might end up on a backorder list because there may not enough Bristols to fill the existing list of pre-orders out there!

Once the sword is physcially in stock somewhere or a vendor can simply guarantee that I'll get one this go around, I will be buying a Bristol for myself!

For those already having the Bristol or Kriegschwert, how about some pictures of the production product! I am eager to see it! Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So what is this line all about? Is it a mid-range joining between CF's cutlery and AT's bladesmithing? Or is there something I'm missing?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
So what is this line all about? Is it a mid-range joining between CF's cutlery and AT's bladesmithing? Or is there something I'm missing?

M.

More info can be found here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=10507
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14798

Bottom line: the prototypes are designed by CF and are hilted on Atrim blades. Those swords and scabbards are then put into production by Valiant Armoury.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"I ALSO briefly had the Base Model, which I did not find nearly as attractive"

Hi Matthew,

In what way?

Most of these grip and scabbard upgrades I can do myself, so I am infact interested in the base models much more than the complete package. Hilt and blade are exactly the same aren't they? If I was to purchase the full package I'd be tempted to redo the grip anyway (judging only by what you can see on KOA pict below, I find the leather to be too thick and I don't fancy the way it is roughly cut and how it overlaps the guard (it's too thick to be rolled up). Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that you can't get it all for that price, and all in all, I find these to be a great value for money, especially for those who don't want to bother with home customisations. But what I am after is a good and healthy base, and the base models seem fantastic to me in that aspect, if the blade is nice and performs well (genuine wooden core, scabbard metal tip included, nice hilts parts).

Any chance for detailled pictures of the Bristol from those who have them?

Cheers,

J

Attachment: 25.32 KB
images_CF401_3_l.jpg

Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien: No, your right... for your purpasses the base model is totaly fine. The blade, cross, pommel, all the peices except the grip and scabbard are exactly the same as on the signature eddition... so if your going to re-do the grip and scabbard yourself, then for you the base model is the way to go.

However... not every one of the VA signature swords is going to HAVE a base model. I've been told the some (like the Bristol you mentioned) will be signature edditions only... and some of the others that might have a base model, the base model might not come until some time after the signature model... in some cases not until 2010.

As for pics... I should have a Bristol review up today... allthough my wife made off with my laptop, which I use for my video, so it will be pics only, not video.

Worried
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"However... not every one of the VA signature swords is going to HAVE a base model. I've been told the some (like the Bristol you mentioned) will be signature edditions only... and some of the others that might have a base model, the base model might not come until some time after the signature model... in some cases not until 2010."

Hi Sean,

Damn that's what I feared. I've seen on sword buyer a version of the castille with a bare wooden scabbard and grip, and that would be exactly what I'm after. Looking forward to see those bristol pics and review!

Cheers,

J
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some very nice and detailled pictures of the Kriegschwert here on sword buyer's forum:

http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...read=10225

Frankly I'm more impressed by this package than by what I saw of the castille. The scabbard looks especially good to me (though I would be curious to see the seam at the back, where the leather meets/overlaps). If I was to be picky, I'd point at the grip overlap, and maybe at the beefy raisers...but this being a production sword, it's impressive nonetheless.

cheers,

J

Last edited by Julien M on Tue 12 May, 2009 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
I own a Signature Line Castile which I purchased through Christian Fletcher,
but it came from Valiant. For what I paid ( around $ 400 ) this a very nice package,
but I think it HAS been noted that the Castile design is not based on any historical
artifact ( or maybe loosely based on something, but I don't know what ).

It's based loosely on the sword from Castile pictured on the cover of 'Records of the Medieval Sword' and described within. They have omitted the elaborate hilt decorations (likely to keep cost down) and have substituted a type X blade for a type XII blade for some reason. It still seems historically plausible, for all that, but on the heavy side.

Perhaps an interesting project for someone would be to try to make the hilt look more like the original sword.

-JD
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Bristol Review         Reply with quote

My review of the Bristol is up: http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...amp;page=1

I'll get the Kreigswart up in a day or two.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pairs of lines on that guard don't look very good.

They weren't mentioned at all in the review. Sean, do they look as bad in person as they do in that photo? I've seen cheaper swords more cleanly done than that.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The pairs of lines on that guard don't look very good.

That is what I was thinking.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valiant Armoury signature line?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: