Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Bill Sahigan

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
You know...I'd really like to see somebody in a full Merc Tailor kit for grins (or curiosity).

heh. I'm getting everything from him except for gauntlets and armet.. though it'll be a while before everything's done
Kenneth Powell Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this is a project in motion at the I am not wearing my chain mail as i am wearing an old gambeson, i am at present working on a new arming jack. But this is the first time i have tried to make a harness that involves plate.
[img][/img]

Attachment: 67.04 KB
[ Download ]

what do you mean all the meads gone. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A 12th century Black Knight. It took a while to get to this point. Sorry about the modern stuff around, this was just a test fitting before I do some REAL pictures.

Attachment: 147.55 KB
The Black Knight.jpg

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben,

Where did you get the coat?

[quote="Ben van Koert"]Here are the updates to my armour: New couters and spaulders with besagews.
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's called a brigandine. It's made by Steve Lunn, White Rose Apparel.

By the way, AWESOME kit Jeff! I've always wanted to do a 12th century impression. Yours really looks menacing. What kind of material is the surcoat made of? Hard to tell from this photo.
John H

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where do all you guys get your plumes?
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben van Koert wrote:

By the way, AWESOME kit Jeff! I've always wanted to do a 12th century impression. Yours really looks menacing. What kind of material is the surcoat made of? Hard to tell from this photo.

Thanks very much for the compliment. I appreciate it, especially from the people on this site, since so many of you are so knowlegeable in so many areas. I apologize for the poor photo quality. I will try to do better.
As for your question,the surcoat is black leather with a black cotton inner lining. I had it made by Pendragon costumes, with some modifications from their standard surcoat. It was sewn up all the way in front, from crotch to neck, with a small split at the back of the neck that laces up, with crotch-length splits front, back, and sides. the side areas from armpit to hips is laced together criss-cross style with thongs, and the edges of the surcoat is trimmed with a gold medieval-style floral patterened trim.
The lion on the chest is another story. I had it stitched up in silver thread by a top-notch Heraldry company in England (I am sorry but their name escapes me at the moment), and they stitched it onto a piece of black velvet material.They called it a "loose lion." I CAREFULLY cut it out and hand-sewed it onto the surcoat over many tiresome evenings. I was scared to death that it would unravel, since I trimmed it so close and it was so expensive, but it didn't. I guess I'm a better seamstress than I thought.Wink
Your kit is also quite handsome. I REALLY like your plume as well. I would like to know where you get those too. Mine are standard ostrich plumes, but they look flimsy next to yours.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben van Koert wrote:

Is White Rose still in existance?

The web site that I have link for has been down for a long time.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
David Teague

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Ben van Koert wrote:

Yes.

http://www.whiteroseapparel.com/

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

White Rose had some troubles with their webhost, so now they've changed from ' .co.uk' to ' .com' .

I get my plumes from a clothing accessoiries store, but you could also check out party costume or theatre stores.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a better picture of my 12th century Black Knight kit sans helmet, etc. A better background this time also. Somehow a front yard just doesn't cut it.

Attachment: 146.25 KB
Black Knight.jpg

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Ben van Koert wrote:

Yes.

http://www.whiteroseapparel.com/

Thank you.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Here is a better picture of my 12th century Black Knight kit sans helmet, etc. A better background this time also. Somehow a front yard just doesn't cut it.

Indeed the background is much better. Have to find a castle for proper pictures myself. By the way, the lion looks really great.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much. The lion was a project in itself. I like your "Hundred Year's War" look too. I notice you are in Germany. A very beautiful country. I lived there for four years way back in the early to mid sixties. We were living in Wiesbaden, on the Rhine. So many castles, so little time. If I had had my way, I would have prowled every one. That's where it all started for me. Very nice people too. I wish I could find a way to go back. Ah well- Maybe someday...
Felix R.

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately we don´t have too many castles up here in Northern Germany. But, yes the area in the south is well scattered with them. Can recommend a travel to Rhein und Mosel area, they have nice whine there too.

Althouhg I was looking for a Northern Italian kit it would be good for "Hundred Years War" too, didn´t think about that. So I can even go for a mid 14th cent English foot if I want, something I was looking for anyway. Thanks for the hint. Wink
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

Very nice kit and nice background
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

Very nice kit and nice background

Thanks for your comments. It's not easy sometimes to find an appropriate setting for a decent picture for this sort of thing. Even so, you can see power lines off in the distance.I thought the 12th century would be cheaper to do than the later plate eras. Um, I was wrong.
I do have one picture that shows NO modern crud in it. So, if I may, here it is,,,

Attachment: 141.62 KB
Last Stand.jpg

Felix R.

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

Thanks for your comments. It's not easy sometimes to find an appropriate setting for a decent picture for this sort of thing. Even so, you can see power lines off in the distance.I thought the 12th century would be cheaper to do than the later plate eras. Um, I was wrong.
I do have one picture that shows NO modern crud in it. So, if I may, here it is,,,

Hey Jeff, can you just tell what the kit consists of? Can´t see this too well with all black in black.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, he seems to have a sword, a shield, a hume, and a black hole, with which he destroys the enemies of Christiandom.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, okay, at the risk of seeming long-winded, here goes...
The helmet is a heat-blackened modified Black Prince helm by William Hurt of Arms and Armour. He also made the mantle.
The Surcoat is black leather with a heavy cotton liner and gold medieval-style floral trim, split up the front, rear and sides, and laces up on the sides from hips to armpits with thongs. Courtesy of Pendragon costumes
The silver and red lion on the chest was specially made in England by a Heraldry company whose name I can't remember, but I can find it for someone if they wish. I then cut it out of the black material and hand sewed it on.
The sword is an Albion Norman in a Christian Fletcher scabbard.
The silver-plaqued belt is by Urweg.
The shield is by Rampant Lion designs. Mainly for display, but it works for this.
The blackened mail is also from England. I made a Haubergeon out of it, split it front and back, and trimmed the length a bit. I prefer a looser sleeve for roominess, so I left it as is. The coif I left untouched, I like the over-the-shoulder length. It's butted mail (Yeah, yeah, I know, not historically accurate, but I gotta cut costs somewhere... it hasn't got a bit of rust on it though), but it's held up well and looks nice with minimal attention.
I trimmed the gambeson on the collar and sleeves with the same gold trim used for the surcoat.
The gloves are by Ravenswood Leather.
I forget where I got the boots, but they work, look decent, and weren't terribly expensive.
That pretty much sums it up for this outfit I guess.
If you care to, send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send you some much better pics that you can see with more detail.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 17 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: