Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard attempt (Albion Crecy) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ole W.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Scabbard attempt (Albion Crecy)         Reply with quote

I am in the process of making a scabbard for my first and only sword. I've never tried my hand at such a thing before, so several threads here at myArmoury have provided tremendous help in the process, basically guiding me along the way. I don't know how useful his post will be at helping others trying the same thing, but I'm posting it anyway in case anyone should find it interesting.

The scabbard is completely ahistorical, it has a fiberglass laminated balsa wood core.

Right now I am trying to make a chape from a steel sheet, and I also lack a belt buckle. Furthermore, some decorative lines on the scabbard and suspension remains undone for now.

Attachment: 119.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 107.66 KB
[ Download ]
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a good scabbard.

Balsa wood with fiber glass is a creative solution. It should work well.
Considering this is your first scabbard you should feel proud of your efforts: it does not look like a first attempt :-)
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ole, this looks pretty good from the photos you've posted. I'd love to hear more about how you built the core.

Keep at it Happy

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good work. I think we may have another scabbard-master in the making.

Mind if we see the other side?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ole,

Glad to see that you got around this project as you said you would!

Qualifying your work as a mere attempt seems an understatement though, as your finished core and suspensions are way more convincing than that Happy

A close up of the coat of arms would be nice (carved? imprint?). Balsa coated with fiberglass is an interesting shortcut, one that I might try on future projects, depending on how easy fiberglass is to handle.

Anyway congrats and keep up the good work.

J
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fiberglass is really easy to work with, in my experience, from a forming perspective(though I've worked with really low quality stuff before too).

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seeing as I just finished up my first scabbard attempt, I think you nailed it! The scabbard seems well proportioned, the leather work looks nice and consistent, and I like the decorative element near the throat. Very well done!
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Scabbard attempt (Albion Crecy)         Reply with quote

Ole W. wrote:

The scabbard is completely ahistorical, it has a fiberglass laminated balsa wood core.

It might be more plausible than you think. To the Northern regions, Lindenwood (somewhat similar to balsa, often called Basswood in the U.S.) was used for craftwork (chip carving and such.) We are not really sure, but cloth could have been laminated over some scabbards. Archeologists occasionally mention 3 layers; wood, cloth, and leather. What you have done would have been "high tech" for the weight conscious back then, but ,something roughly similar could have been done.

I would appreciate pictures of the mouth and back. (These tend to be the tricky parts!)

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doesn't Oakeshott describe scabbards of laminate construction in Sword in the Age of Chivalry?
'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Ole W.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging replies!

Peter Johnsson, I am extremely honoured that you chose to comment on the scabbard. Much gratitude is expressed.

Al Muckart- Regarding the core: Two halves were shaped from balsa wood in the usual way. I proceeded to glue the two halves together using epoxy glue. When the epoxy had dried, I laminated the scabbard in fiberglass, one side at a time. I looked at model aircraft websites for instructions, as they laminate model airplane wings this way. As a result, the inside of the scabbard is non-corrosive to the steel due to balsa wood contacting the blade, while the outer layer of fiberglass makes the scabbard stronger than conventional wooden scabbards. The core is tight enough to hold the scabbard upside down without the sword falling out. A light tug is required in order to unsheath the sword.

M. Eversberg II - Thanks for your comment! I will proceed to post pictures of the seam when I am done with the chape and decorative lines.

Julien M - I was hoping you would comment on this thread, as your excellent homemade scabbard was the deciding factor as I decided to try to make a scabbard of my own for this sword. I'll take a close-up of the coat of arms as soon as I have finished the chape etc. It decipts a griffin, and was impressed into the leather using an empty ballpoint pen prior to the initial colouring. Regarding fiberglass - it is not hard at all - in fact it was the easiest step in the scabbard making process, in stark contrast to the leatherwork which I found surprisingly difficult.

Michael Pikula - Your comments are appreciated! I am always interested to see DIY scabbards - are you planning to post some pictures?

Jared Smith - It's interesting that you should mention this - it's one of the methods which I initially considered trying for the scabbard core, along with the veneer laminate earlier mentioned in other threads by mr. Peter Johnsson.
Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm impressed. Not only does it look good, the "creative shortcut" of fiberglass over wood reminds me of an unverified but plausible approach I've used on a few scabbards: a layer of sinew wrap over the wood core and then the leather cover. I also have regripped a number of swords over the years this way; as a longtime traditional archery aficianado, I like to refer to sinew-wood-hide glue combinations as "Nature's fiberglass." Cool
Starting in a hollowed log of wood—some thousand miles up a river, with an infinitesimal prospect of returning! I ask myself "Why?" and the only echo is "damned fool!...the Devil drives...
Patrick De Block

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ole, I don't known what impresses me most. Your beautiful scabbard or the idea to use an empty ballpoint pen for the griffin. Using that pen is really a creative idea. Let me say that it is no wonder you made such a beautiful scabbard if you came upon that idea.

One question: what is the thickness of the leather you used for the scabbard and is the belt made from leather of the same thickness.
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

exceedingly impressive! it really does look good. balsa, and fibreglass. I am really going to have to try it myself. just one question, though. where did you find enough balsa? I've looked all over for the stuff, (woodcarving, larger craft boats, and such) and have ultimately had to glue everal peices together. I'd really appreciate a location, or website. it really looks impressive, I keep opening the pictures to look at it.
"Whoever desires peace, let him prepare for war."
-Vegetius
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh, yeah, and could you please post more pictures? I'd really like to see this when it's finished.
"Whoever desires peace, let him prepare for war."
-Vegetius

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard attempt (Albion Crecy)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic