Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "functional" boar spears? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: "functional" boar spears?         Reply with quote

Ok,
I have an opportunity to go boar hunting with a friend who shares the same "dream" and going out with a spear. Other than the spears offered by arms and armor, what other sources would I have for a suitable piece to arm myself with?

Mike
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you ever *been* before? Either of you?

Native Way sells good heads I hear.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well trained dogs would be a plus. a really big plus. and a good pistol or rifle as back up.

One thing about the A&A spear. Its a good spear don't get me wrong but it may not be that good for hunting with. the Barbs, or what ever the technical term is, are the wrong diction for hunting. Talked to a couple of guys who used one for boar hunting and the boar still ran up the spear.
Look at period hunting spears. The cross guard is normal (perpendicular) to the blade so that they can catch on the ribs.
Earlier I found a good painting of a people hunting boars with spears and they had a wooden cross guard tied on in a clever way. But I, of course, can not find that painting right now.
Well at any rate be safe and have fun. (do wish I could join you)
Keith Conklin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try this I think it may be what you need.
http://www.coldsteel.com/boarspear.html
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-It was my understanding the boar spear shaft was alot longer than 7'. I think it was more like 10' or 12'long. The Cold Steel stuff is well made,so I'd go with the boar spear head they show, but I'd use a longer shaft. Also I'd have a couple of trained mastiffs to help out, grab the boars legs and pin it for a thrust. Iv'e seen boar hunting with regular hounds, but they didn't fight, just tracked for the rifleman.
Ja68ms
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not sure how long the boar spear should be but I was under the impression that it was a stout but not very long spear ?

Depending on terrain too long a spear in heavy woods or underbrush might be hard to manoeuvre ?

Ideal length might be different in different terrain or different hunters might have preferences for longer or shorter spears.

The wild boar can be very dangerous and I wouldn't even try hunting one unless I had someone along with experience or at least got the best advice possible as to gear and the way to go about it.

This is the king of prey that can turn things around and have a decent chance of killing the hunter. Wink And good luck and be careful.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bennison N

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've hunted Captain Cookers with a spear (and even a sword) a few times here in NZ, and the boars of that breed are very feisty.

My recommendation is to use a spear of at least 8' and ideally an iron shaft, instead of wood. It's heavy, but effective.

And the most important thing is your dogs. You need really good dogs. More than one.

Whoops... I meant feet not inches... OK, I've changed it now. You guys should use metric! Haha!

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी

Last edited by Bennison N on Mon 20 Apr, 2009 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bennison N

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, and because there's two of you, I'd say impale with one spear, and stab like crazy with the other. These piggies don't just die, they keep going for a long time... You have to kill them quickly. When they fall, use your knife.

अजयखड्गधारी
Marton Pap

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!
I think Gaston Phebus (/Phoebus) has to mention the length, for it is really detailed as I heard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Hunting-Book-of-Gasto....m63.l1177

Does anyone own this book? (I have bee considering to get if for 3 or 4 years Sad ) As far as I know there are two versions, one with translation and one with the pictures only.

Marton
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some spears that (clearly) have been used for the purpose:

The spear in the first photo looks like a cold steel boar spear (thanks Ben). The second one I can't positive id but look like a winged fighting spear, it has a smaller head than the other two. The third is a custom made spear by http://www.sunrisecustomknives.com. Sunrise also makes another model boar spear with a very long, more narrow blade.

Note, I believe dogs were used in all three of these hunts.

Also, I've heard of hunting boars with knives. Not for me.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Last edited by Ian Hutchison on Mon 20 Apr, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The spear in the first picture is the CS boar sprear (with the boar stop) the assegai is basicly the same but lacks the stop.
Nice pictures.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot
For any other man's,
Nor that I will be ashamed
Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof
And the consequences reap.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben Potter wrote:
The spear in the first picture is the CS boar sprear (with the boar stop) the assegai is basicly the same but lacks the stop.
Nice pictures.

You are correct, with my poor eyesight I didn't see the wings Sad

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These spears all have quite short shafts.
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know I've seen the Cold Steel boar spear, but I haven't come across too many others. Would a lugged war spear work? Something like this perhaps?
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~ZH12...+Spear.htm
You would have to replace the shaft with something longer, but it might work.

Nathan.
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a classic image from Tempesta. There are many others. The length of the spears appears to be around 6'-7' max.

Attachment: 85.51 KB
Tempesta 3.jpg

Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan M Wuorio wrote:
I know I've seen the Cold Steel boar spear, but I haven't come across too many others. Would a lugged war spear work? Something like this perhaps?
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~ZH12...+Spear.htm
You would have to replace the shaft with something longer, but it might work.

Not sure that it would be robust enough to stop a charging oinker; i've got that spear head and while treating it a little harshly, trying a slash with the side of the blade, the socket cracked straight down the weld.
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish I had more spear hunting experiance to draw on, hope to change that some day, But I do have plenty of general hunting advice. So one more thing.
Don't go looking for the cheapest spear you can find. Try to get a good quality spear one that has been proven in the field.
First: Your going toe to toe against one of the more dangerous animal in the lower 48 having a broken spear could be very bad for your health.
Second: Hunting ethics. A good weapon will do its job cleanly and efficiently and survive the abuse of a hunting trip. You don't want to have a wounded animal you can't kill because you weapon failed in some way. (in case of wild boar this also goes back to point one)
Third: long after the price of the spear is forgotten the spear will still be around. I think you would want something you will be proud to have in 10 years or more. Something that you can show off with pride when you retell this story to people who think your insane.

That said If It was my trip I would probably go with the Arms and Armour spear or the the CS boar spear and tie on some an extra set of lugs. I would think that a shorter stout pole would be better. less chance of breakage, easier to carry through the forest and hopefully more accurate. One more thing With out dogs, you may want to try hitting the boar in the side. less chance for the boar to run up the spear. one last thing try to plan what you want to do and then have back up plans if/when the boar does something unexpected.

Ok I'll get off my soap box again (The view is nice from up there but it is kind of lonely)
Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I've heard here, the boars on the base here are quite small and although I know looks can be deceiving, they are not as much of a threat as some out there. I will not have any dogs. We're just two guys in the same unit that want to fulfill a dream while preparing for a deployment in a few months.
The person that wants to go with me has native american ancestry, which I would assume he would want to go out with a bow, but he wants to hand knap a spear point and go that way.
I'm not wanting to go a cheap route on a weapon which although offensive, can immediately turn into a defensive weapon. No fantasy 440 steel anime super ninja spear for me. My first choice is the arms and armor one. Not only because of their reputation, but because in the end, I collect weapons and I want it to be something "authentic" and functional I can hang on the wall. The only problem with that is that I am on a strict allowance from my wife in order for us to save money while I'm gone.

Mike
Bennison N

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Also, I've heard of hunting boars with knives. Not for me.

The Maori guys around here regularly use knives to kill pigs. I wouldn't use one as a primary, myself... Forget that for a joke... But I've pretty much always used a knife to finish. And of course to prep for carrying out.

I use a spear, or a sword, my rugged Han Jian, to hunt pigs. Unfortunately, my Jian was chipped (about 4mm long and 1mm deep) on the edge the last time, so I'm going to stick to my spear from now on. And I always use the same dogs... We originally had a couple more, but the oldest one was gored last time, and his "missus" was shanked on the rear haunch, so she stays home now. Carried them out in style, and gave the trusty old guy a proper burial back at the farm.

अजयखड्गधारी
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Mercier wrote:
My first choice is the arms and armor one. Not only because of their reputation, but because in the end, I collect weapons and I want it to be something "authentic" and functional I can hang on the wall. The only problem with that is that I am on a strict allowance from my wife in order for us to save money while I'm gone.

Mike

The Arms and Armour one should be O.K. but I would secure it with a cross bolt or nail and make sure it's 100% secure or ask
Craig at A & A to secure it for you if you order from them directly.

My 12th century lugged spear had the head fall loose as they usually are just secured by a good fit and pressure but if life and limb are at stake I would make sure everything is secure. Wink

The Friedrich IV spear is the one in the pics I believe and the best choice among their 3 regular line spears.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole112.html

One could add a wooden crosspiece tied between the head and the lugs for added protection from the hog running up the shaft ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "functional" boar spears?
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: