Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Suspending a mail skirt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John H

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Suspending a mail skirt         Reply with quote

So, I finally received my 16th century harness and need to figure out how to suspend a riveted mail skirt under the harness. I believe that historically these skirts were pointed to a doublet in the 15th century and likely into the 16th, but when I do so, there are sections that tend to droop becase I am only using a few arming points.

I also tried to figure out a way to point the skirt to a belt, but every technique I used resulted in the skirt gathering too much for me to slip it on. The only fool-proof system I could figure out was to pull on the skirt, then buckle a belt over, then letting the top of the skirt drape over the belt, which seemed pretty secure, but could be made even more so by then running a cord along the mail below the belt to tie it in place. Am I on the right track, or just completely over-complicating this? What does everyone else do?

Thanks.
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am currently making a second gambeson. My next purchase will be a breast plate. I have considered the same question and I will most likely sew on my maille skirt directly to my gambeson. I have had experiance sewing maille onto my padded leggings and had next to near perfect results. I am not recomending this as historically accurate, I dont know. I just like not having to worry about a belt. The idea you have with the belt does sound good to me.
Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made 4 lacing points around the mid-section of my gambeson and laced latigo though the top of my skirt. I then put on the skirt, tie it as tightly as possible, then tie the lacing points on the gambeson to the latigo between links of the skirt. It works fine and never sags below my cuirass.
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
John H

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sounds like a great solution, JE.

I also wonder if historically they ever backed the skirt with fabric? I worry about it scratching up the legs of the harness.
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-I have seen alot of illustrations of mail skirts, and can't really tell if they were fabrik-backed or not. It seems like such a good idea I would not be suprised if it was done,but humans are funny animals. Look at how long it took the medieval guys to re-invent the crank after it was lost. Untill about 1100. I have seen one illustration fron that time showing the forces of good sharpening weapons with a cranked whetstone, wiles the forces of evil are rubbing theirs on the stones.I think the moral was evil is stupid.
Ja68ms
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wore mine all weekend last week with no backing material and there was minimal evidence of rubbing. Also, If you were to wear a longer tunic cut, this would not be a problem at all for you. I've seen the skirts backed before, it seems like a common sense idea, but I have not seen one portrayed that is cloth/leather backed.

Good luck in your search! Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
John H

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am now also considering adding an armor codpiece to my harness. Is there a way to do this "after the fact"? Were they always riveted to the cuirass, or attached in other ways?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Suspending a mail skirt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic