Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Using pool noodles (how?) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Using pool noodles (how?)         Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I've picked up some pool noodles for cutting, but I'm not sure the best way to use them.

Obviously, I should cut them with the sharp edge of a sword Happy, but do people use a stand of some sort, or prop them up?

??

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Using pool noodles (how?)         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Hey folks,
I've picked up some pool noodles for cutting, but I'm not sure the best way to use them.

Obviously, I should cut them with the sharp edge of a sword Happy, but do people use a stand of some sort, or prop them up?

??

Happy

Just shove em on the end of a fence post or a cutting stand that has a spike or nail.

I've also had my training partners throw them up in the air, they make good moving targets Razz

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Using pool noodles (how?)         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Just shove em on the end of a fence post or a cutting stand that has a spike or nail.

I've also had my training partners throw them up in the air, they make good moving targets Razz

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have a cutting stand or a fence. WTF?!

They all have a hole in the middle. Would it be okay to get a dowel that size and mount it to a base of some sort?

Happy

ChadA

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

Just drive a wooden stake into the ground.....

William
aka Bill
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depends on how quick you are. Wink

http://homepage.mac.com/aaronjustice/.Movies/cutting.mov

If you're using a two hander, cutting like this will be more difficult.

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Josh Aldous

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Using pool noodles (how?)         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have a cutting stand or a fence. WTF?!

They all have a hole in the middle. Would it be okay to get a dowel that size and mount it to a base of some sort?

That's exactly the idea, but make sure the dowel is well short of your cutting height Wink
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A while ago Bugei had the plans for their cutting stands available for download in PDF format.
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If nothing else they have some good pictures that should give an idea of things.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice video Aaron, btw, what sword is that?

-v

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jun, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MRL Scottish Backsword. nathan Robinson did a review on it here.

Vincent Labolito wrote:
nice video Aaron, btw, what sword is that?

-v

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Lots has noodles for $0.99 near me.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I fashioned a cutting stand out of some scrap 2 x 4's I had laying around, and drilled a hole for a dowel to go in. The problem I'm finding is that if the dowel is too short, the noodle bends and doesn't get cut through. If the dowel is too long, it either breaks or goes sailing with the noodle well into my backyard (or both). How far into the noodle should a dowel or spike go? I've been using ~18 inch or ~30 inch pieces of 3/4 inch dowels.

Or maybe I just suck at this. Happy I've have a few good all-the-way-through cuts, all with the Baron. I haven't been able to do anything but knock the noodle around with my ArmArt. I think it's me rather than the weapons.....

Happy

ChadA

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Well, I fashioned a cutting stand out of some scrap 2 x 4's I had laying around, and drilled a hole for a dowel to go in. The problem I'm finding is that if the dowel is too short, the noodle bends and doesn't get cut through. If the dowel is too long, it either breaks or goes sailing with the noodle well into my backyard (or both). How far into the noodle should a dowel or spike go? I've been using ~18 inch or ~30 inch pieces of 3/4 inch dowels.

Or maybe I just suck at this. Happy I've have a few good all-the-way-through cuts, all with the Baron. I haven't been able to do anything but knock the noodle around with my ArmArt. I think it's me rather than the weapons.....

Just practice some more Chad and you'll get it. Imagine cutting through the object and not at it. The thing about noodles is that your edge has to be dead on or else they fly away or tear. I was cutting them like butter while they were in mid air with the Baron so it's definately not the sword.

Just practice Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Just practice some more Chad and you'll get it. Imagine cutting through the object and not at it. The thing about noodles is that your edge has to be dead on or else they fly away or tear. I was cutting them like butter while they were in mid air with the Baron so it's definately not the sword.

Just practice Big Grin

I figured it was me. Razz I'm kinda swinging it like a baseball bat. Is that right or wrong?

The Baron handles so great. It's a shame I'm not using it quite right....

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

Just practice Big Grin

I figured it was me. Razz I'm kinda swinging it like a baseball bat. Is that right or wrong?

You are not alone in your poor pool noodle technique it seems. Wink

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
You are not alone in your poor pool noodle technique it seems. Wink

Yeah, I pretty much suck at it. Eek! I either launch the noodle or break the dowel the noodle is on, sometimes both, most of the time. It's harder than I thought it would be.

I tried PVC pipe instead of a wooden dowel, but the hole in the mounting is a little wider than the pipe, so the pipe is likes to fly with the noodle.....

Happy

ChadA

Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

Just practice Big Grin

I have found that it helps me to pull the sword slightly as it hits the target, so that the sword makes more of a slice than a chop. This results in the sword being slightly tucked in against me when the cut is completed. Otherwise the targets do tend to go sailing across the yard Eek!
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Wang wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

Just practice Big Grin

I have found that it helps me to pull the sword slightly as it hits the target, so that the sword makes more of a slice than a chop. This results in the sword being slightly tucked in against me when the cut is completed. Otherwise the targets do tend to go sailing across the yard Eek!

Yes, a slight draw cut sometimes helps on these light targets. You also need some amount of velocity too.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Jasper M

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

notice how both the cat and dog leave the scene. Nice movie
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

" have found that it helps me to pull the sword slightly as it hits the target, so that the sword makes more of a slice than a chop. This results in the sword being slightly tucked in against me when the cut is completed. Otherwise the targets do tend to go sailing across the yard "

Interesting observation Chad, and quit correct.

Remember, when you're making a cut the strong hand (at the guard) is guiding the sword, while the weak hand (at the pommel) is the one pulling, thereby providing power to the cut.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Using pool noodles (how?)
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: