Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deadliest Warrior Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Deadliest Warrior         Reply with quote

I'm watching 'Deadliest Warrior' on Spike TV right now (an American Channel). This week it's Samurai vs. Viking Warrior. Looks like its a weekly series (Tuesday evening) with the goal, ahem, of determining who the ultimate winner would be.

Some pretty fun tests of weapons and techniques, e.g., they just cut through a couple of (dead) pigs with a viking sword, and then the Katana failed to cut the Viking chain mail, and so on.

Anyone else see this?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the Apache vs. Gladiator episode. I suppose it was somewhat entertaining, but overall, I really disliked the show. I found the comparisons between items to be pretty absurd and not deeply considered. I don't expect to watch any more episodes.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i think its a dumbed down history show to get MMA people interested in some sort of history. i watched a few previews and just kinda shrugged it off. I'm waiting for the pirate vs the ninja episode (hehe not saying there is one but its always the classic who vs who)
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
i think its a dumbed down history show to get MMA people interested in some sort of history. i watched a few previews and just kinda shrugged it off. I'm waiting for the pirate vs the ninja episode (hehe not saying there is one but its always the classic who vs who)

I find it entertaining, right or wrong historically I can at least enjoy the presentation. I'm finding it very interesting how many TV shows are popping up in regards to this stuff.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
I'm finding it very interesting how many TV shows are popping up in regards to this stuff.

Good point. And that is a good thing.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm hanging out for the "Welsh Longbowman vs 155 Howitzer crew" should be cool
*sarcasm mode disengaged*
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:

Or HMS Victory versus the Bismark. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Fun if not taken too seriously and a lot of the results would depend on the quality of matched up equipment i.e. cheap badly sharpened katana versus what quality maille ? Or whatever other mismatched stuff not representative of period quality equipment ! Too good being as non-informative as not good enough: Bottom line, very anecdotal, maybe fun but not very scientifically valid tests.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Brian K. wrote:
I'm finding it very interesting how many TV shows are popping up in regards to this stuff.

Good point. And that is a good thing.

Some show will come along sooner or later and try to present things from the point of historical accuracy. Problem with that is, one only need look through this forum to realize how much debate is to be had over what is historically correct. No matter what they come up with, unless it is super vague (and boring), someone will always find accuracy criticism in it. They are probably doing the right thing by just trying to be entertaining and planting the seeds of interest in peoples minds to research further.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
Some show will come along sooner or later and try to present things from the point of historical accuracy. Problem with that is, one only need look through this forum to realize how much debate is to be had over what is historically correct. No matter what they come up with, unless it is super vague (and boring), someone will always find accuracy criticism in it. They are probably doing the right thing by just trying to be entertaining and planting the seeds of interest in peoples minds to research further.

If you've read my posts on similar subjects, you'll see that I agree with you and have said the same things time and time again. And you'll note that I was careful with my critique of the show in my post above to make certain that I indicated my own feelings and reactions to it and said nothing about historical accuracy. Television is a medium of entertainment and isn't suited for anything deeply educational. Having said that, this show did not entertain me. We're on the same page Happy

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen two episodes so far and I'm not particularly impressed. The two I've seen were littered with incorrect terminology and the reenforcement of stereotypes. A show like this can only present the high points, but that should be done correctly and isn't very hard to do, no harder than what's presented in these shows. Typical History Channel unfortunately.
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have seen one on tube... Not particulary impressed, too. I much prefer programs with minus pathos and adrenalina searching texts, and more information: I don't think that a tv show can be (and nether should) a college's lesson, but in some passage is like watching "American Gladiator" or "Robot Wars"...
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the show for the first time this weekend. I wasn't expecting much of it, so I can't really say I'm disappointed. The bottom line is the whole samurai vs Viking or any other of these random warrior match ups simply CANNOT be answered. There are too many variables and the result is going to be different every time. And like Nathan stated, the show is meant to entertain; not educate. Personally, I found the show at least somewhat entertaining. I liked how they added bones and organs to the ballistics gel models and the high speed cameras added more to it visually. And I at least wasn't disgusted to the point where I was yelling and swearing at the TV like I find myself doing with the History Channel lately.
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:

Welsh longbowman? Now THAT'S funny Big Grin
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Or HMS Victory versus the Bismark. Razz Laughing Out Loud

"Lookout! Vot is zat in frront of uss?"

*CRUNCH*

"Drriftvood, mein herr!"
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I heard some friends talking about the show, and one thing bothered me. I don't know that I'd call a Roman gladiator a warrior as such. An entertainer? Yes. An athlete? Yes. A warrior trained (or versed) in fieldcraft in addition to fighting? Probably not.

It would've been neat if they'd done something about the different types of gladiator (myrmillo, retiarius, secutor, etc.), but I suppose that'd have been a different show.

Sadly, the first thing that went through my mind hearing about the matchup of an Apache and a gladiator had more to do with aircraft than anything else. An AH-64 would probably go to town on a Gloster Gladiator though, and wouldn't be terribly entertaining. (I'm pretty sure the Gladiator only had rifle-calibre MGs.)
Werner Stiegler

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Deadliest Warrior         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I'm watching 'Deadliest Warrior' on Spike TV right now (an American Channel). This week it's Samurai vs. Viking Warrior.
Watched it. It was more or less: Heavy Metal Viking stereotypes vs Asian Action Movies stereotypes and the people making the program happened to be fans of Heavy Metal. I must admit that I had a good laugh though.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, I should have been more clear that I was supporting your position and only adding to it. I reread my post and realize that some things may have come across wrong.

I found the Apache vs Gladiator episode on You Tube and watched it in six parts today. It was interesting and entertaining. I learned a few things I did not know. I did not know the Gladiators used the scissor, cestus and sica in the arena. I would have thought these just fantasy weapons. The testing of weapons on simulated flesh and real animal flesh too was very objective and will prove a valuable reference source. The only part a thought was of no value was the computer generated combat results at the end but that part was only the last six minutes.

After seeing this first episode I am interested in seeing all future ones. It is certain that some valuable insight will be gained.

Edit: I saw episode 2, Viking vs Samurai on You Tube. Parts 1 though 5 are very interesting. Part 6 is the stuff video games are made of. I would have liked to have seen more extensive testing and more accurate measurement for the transfer force to the body through armor with various weapons.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Steven McIntyre

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish they had done Knight vs Samurai and settled the debate once and for all! :P
~PER ARDUA~
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just watched the samurai vs. Viking episode. Not gonna lie, I feel less intelligent now. The constant banter between "teams" was just annoying.

My favorite part was when they show that the katanta can't cut through mail in the first part, then at the end in their "video" the samurai is slicing the buhjeezus out of the viking. They can't even keep their facts straight between tests to video!

All in all, I was disappointed in the "historical accuracy", was not entertained, and I will be sure to miss future installments.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The next one will be a Spartan vs. a Ninja. How stupid and pointless can they get? It's like a bad car crash-I know I shouldn't look but I can't help myself. I don't know which is worse-SPIKE or "The History Channel." THC's latest farce is "Battles B.C." It is done in a "300" style that makes it even more irritating and absurd.
A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deadliest Warrior
Page 1 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: