Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: A Giveaway with an Italian FlairContest
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Contest: A Giveaway with an Italian Flair         Reply with quote

A Giveaway with an Italian Flair!

Another contest brought entirely to you by the generous donations of other myArmoury.com members!

Click image for full-sized photograph

First Prize
The first place prize is the Albion Next Generation Doge sword. We were able to purchase this prize with the money donated to us by you guys, the members of myArmoury.com, including a giant $500 donation provided by a very generous anonymous donor who wanted very much to help another member own an Albion sword.

Click images for full-sized photographs

The Doge has become one of my absolute favorite swords and is a model that I hope one day to purchase for my own collection. It sports an Oakeshott Type XIX blade that has a flattened hexagonal cross-section and packs a punch in the cut while still having just enough nimble qualities to put the point where it needs to go. Awesome sword. Check out our hands-on review by Bill Grandy for his opinions of this piece.

Second Prize
The second place prize is a Windlass Steelcrafts Anelace dagger / short sword. Another anonymous and generous member has donated this piece as a giveaway for you guys. To be honest, I was a bit surprised when I got it in hand due to how attractive it is! It's a unique piece and I'm glad to have the opportunity to give it away! For those not versed in these types of wide-bladed shorter edged weapons, I suspect you'd be surprised by it, too.

Click images for full-sized photographs

The Anelace was a weapon that filled the void between the dagger and short sword. Contemporary to the Italian Cinquedea, the Anelace was often carried at an angle at the small of the back and would be the only weapon carried in cities, at court, traveling on horseback or riding during the hunt. This well-balanced blade was of a size that one could use it to defend against a sword, but it could still pass as a dagger. Antiqued brass parts paired with a hand-carved hardwood grip, this attractive piece comes with a decorative scabbard.

HOW TO ENTER:
  1. Ensure you're a registered member of myArmoury.com

2. Those members who have donated $10 US or more to our donation drives since July 1, 2008 are already eligible for this drawing. If you've already donated or you donate before the contest closes, you'll be entered.

3. Any members who have Purchased a Membership Plan or is a member of our Benefactors Group between July 1, 2008 and the close of the contest will also be automatically entered.

That's it! You're done!

Please note that if you've already given something to the site since the July donation drive, you're already entered into this contest. While I certainly welcome additional contributions, and no doubt can put to use anything I can get, they are not necessary for you to be a part of this contest. For those of you who have already given, I say "thanks to you and good luck winning these great prizes!"

Now just like previous contests:

When the contest closes, the names of all the participants will be thrown into a hat. Every $10 contributed as part of a donation or as the cost of a membership plan will earn that participant a separate chance to win. This means that members who donate $10 to the site will have one (1) chance to win. Members who donate $50 to the site will have five (5) chances to win. Members who donate $100 to the site will have ten (10) chances to win... and so on. The more donated, the better the odds of winning the prize!

Entries must be made prior to contest close on Monday May 18, 2009 at 10:00am PST. All participants will be entered into a drawing and the winning name will be randomly selected later that same day.

Domestic shipping charges are included with the winning prize, but international winners will be required to pay for shipping.

Thanks goes out to everybody who has given to this site. Good luck to everyone!!

Contest-specific rules and limitations:

1. You must be a registered member of myArmoury.com. Donations must be made while logged-in
  2. myArmoury.com moderators and Team Members are eligible to win since they have been amongst the most generous with their donations
  3. Shipping charges are included for winners located in the continental US
  4. Entries are based on the amount of contributed money, either through donations or through the purchase of membership plans, and represent the number of chances to win
  5. Should the winning entrant choose not to accept the prize, another winner will be selected
  6. Those who have donated anonymously will be given the opportunity to accept the prize but must agree to have a public announcement made regarding the contest win
  7. The contributed amounts will never be revealed to the public by myArmoury.com. Contest entrants can choose for themselves if they wish to share this with the community

Please read our detailed Rules and Limitations document for complete information and our disclaimer.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice prizes and for once I won't participate to increase the odds of others winning one of these as I already have both. Big Grin
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So donating is mandatory to enter, correct?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
So donating is mandatory to enter, correct?

Contest Announcement wrote:

HOW TO ENTER:
  1. Ensure you're a registered member of myArmoury.com

2. Those members who have donated $10 US or more to our donation drives since July 1, 2008 are already eligible for this drawing. If you've already donated or you donate before the contest closes, you'll be entered.

3. Any members who have Purchased a Membership Plan or is a member of our Benefactors Group between July 1, 2008 and the close of the contest will also be automatically entered.

That's it! You're done!

The prizes for this contest were donated by members who wanted to give back to those who have helped the site financially. This contest is for those who have supported the efforts of the site. They deserve more than anyone to have contests and other special treatments for their support. That's one of the reasons this one dates back so far all the way back to July. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm so in.
The Dodge looks so sweet.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! Big Grin
Hurrah for the donators!

And now the waiting begins... Razz

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Kimon Andreou

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I mostly lurk, reading the threads and learning from others

This forum is definitely the most generous of all I'm a member of.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't envy you getting to play with the Doge and then having to send it away, Nathan. Your self control is admirable Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin King wrote:
I don't envy you getting to play with the Doge and then having to send it away, Nathan. Your self control is admirable Happy

You're so right. The Doge is an awesome sword. I want one. The blade is eerily complex with the fullers, long ricasso, "spur", and hexagonal cross-section. Very neat. I tried real hard to capture it in the various photos I've taken of it, but even those don't do it justice.

I've been slowly digging through my house over the last several months finding things I can sell locally to raise "toy money". You see, I vowed to myself awhile ago not to spend any "new" money on this hobby any more and so when I want something new, I have to sell something old. It seems fair and is kind of a fun little game, I suppose.

Anyway. I figure I'll place the order with Albion in a few months for the Doge. By the time it's ready, I'll have found enough money to pay for it. I'm toying with blackened fittings like on the antique sword shown in the hands-on review. I have plenty of time to decide. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I find surprising about the Doge is that it feels like a heavy cutter but handles like a later fencing sword: Not that one can't fence with the earlier more massive looking blades but the Doge feels close to a rapier in handling/agility but should be as good a cutter as the Gaddhjalt or not so much less so that the target would know the difference.

Another way of saying it might be that it looks like a sword that is much less substantial than it feels in hand without being slow or ponderous: The tool of a true swordsman !

Oh, not mentioned in the review, I think, is that the blade is not whippy at all and rigid enough that it would be a very good in the thrust. The point is sharp enough to penetrate easily an unarmoured target but rounded enough that tip cuts using the last few inches of blade would be very effective I think.

Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Doge is one of those swords that you don't want to leave your hand once you've held it. Sometimes I almost carry it out the door with me on my way to work (bad idea for sure Eek! )
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kimon Andreou wrote:
This forum is definitely the most generous of all I'm a member of.

I have to agree. I'm a Web developer by trade and a lot of the focus over my career has been focused on Web-based communities. I've been involved in many first-hand and have had to do a lot of research on the subject. This has lead me to study all kinds of online communities, seeing dozens of different approaches and results.

With all this, I've rarely seen a group even close to the one here. You're right: these guys are generous.

I feel like this site belongs to a group, as that's really what created it. Even at its core, all that has made this site is on the shoulders of the small team behind the scenes. These guys have done it as volunteers--they put the hours in and hope that it pays them back as any satisfying hobby might. But it goes beyond that and extends into the greater community: the members who every year for the last few have given their hard-earned money to pay for this place so that I no longer have to. Happy This hasn't gone unnoticed by anyone, and especially to me.

But going even further, if you really think about this community and the issue of generosity it's kind of staggering what people have given to this place. In particular, let's think about all those who come here and share their knowledge. I know that sounds cheesy, but really, think about it. The subject of arms and armour isn't a real difficult one to crack. Books are expensive and often difficult to find. Many of us, particularly those in the US, find it difficult to be exposed to a variety of antiques to see and study. Getting some of this "real stuff" in our hands is damn near impossible for many. And yet, this place has the interesting ability for just about anyone to ask even a specialized question and get a legitimately useful answer from someone out there who is generous with their obscure and hard-earned knowledge.

That's all pretty unique, damn cool, and I certainly appreciate it.

James Martin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just donated so I could be in this contest. Too bad I couldnt donate any more than 10 dollars.
David Donovan

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Anelace is actually a very nice item. I snatched one up on a whim when it went on closeout on the MRL site, and it's probably ended up being my favorite out of the MRL pieces I've purchased.

Of course, there's also that Doge to consider... Eek!

"Do something meaningful in this meaningless world."
Takasugi Shinsaku (1839-1867)
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I missed the last pledge drive so it was time to cowboy up. It's nice to know that others feel the same way about
the Forum and step up as well. I know times are tough but wouldn't they be a little worse still if we didn't have
myArmoury?

Yours in the Bond,

Doug Gentner
Brenda McDougall

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
What I find surprising about the Doge is that it feels like a heavy cutter but handles like a later fencing sword: Not that one can't fence with the earlier more massive looking blades but the Doge feels close to a rapier in handling/agility but should be as good a cutter as the Gaddhjalt or not so much less so that the target would know the difference.

Another way of saying it might be that it looks like a sword that is much less substantial than it feels in hand without being slow or ponderous: The tool of a true swordsman !

Oh, not mentioned in the review, I think, is that the blade is not whippy at all and rigid enough that it would be a very good in the thrust. The point is sharp enough to penetrate easily an unarmoured target but rounded enough that tip cuts using the last few inches of blade would be very effective I think.

my husband wants a "SIDESWORD" or "SPADE DE LATO" (or something?) for his birthday in July
can the Doge be like that?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brenda McDougall wrote:

my husband wants a "SIDESWORD" or "SPADE DE LATO" (or something?) for his birthday in July

You could think of it that way, but I believe a better choice would be this one from Arms & Armor - http://www.arms-n-armor.com/rapier212.html - I think its the best sidesword on the market. Of course, it depends on how much you want to spend. ( If I'm sliding off-topic, please forgive me)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Brenda McDougall wrote:

You could think of it that way, but I believe a better choice would be this one from Arms & Armor - http://www.arms-n-armor.com/rapier212.html - I think its the best sidesword on the market. Of course, it depends on how much you want to spend. ( If I'm sliding off-topic, please forgive me)

The Doge might be a bit earlier period but there would be some overlap with the A & A one.

This one by Del Tin being similar to the A & A one :
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~DT21...+Sword.htm

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brenda McDougall wrote:

The short answer is yes, and its a very good one at that. However, the design isn't necessarily the first thing that comes to mind when people use those terms. Most people think of something with a more typical "rapier" styled hilt. However I don't think your husband would complain at all if you purchased the Doge for him. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Ed S.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I have been lurking around here for a month or two now and the information that I have gathered (not to mention all the nice pictures you guys have posted Happy) is well worth a donation. And now I see that there are contests! How awesome is that?

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: A Giveaway with an Italian FlairContest
Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: