Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Hard to Find Sword Offering from Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jim S.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I for one was very excited at first. And almost began searching for the funds to purchase one or two. Until I noticed the $100,000,000 required insurance provision - for each sword !! That is just a little rich for my blood. It is nice to see that they have done such an excellent job of replicating an historical sword.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
For those of you doubting the historical accuracy of this piece, I've attached a photo of the original from the Rustkammer Museum in Dresden. Looks like the crew at Albion got things pretty close to the original.

Are you saying this should be part of the Museum Line rather than a Next Generation?

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Christopher Gregg

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Producing this sword must have been quite an enterprise. Razz Laughing Out Loud
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was wondering, Can I pay for one of these with my 401K? It's practically invisible!
Dan MacDonald

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Should go well with the transparent Kilt Eek!
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had Albion make a custom smallsword with this material recently and I have to say it is perhaps the best weapon ever. It pierces car doors like a lightsaber and handles beautifully.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received a sample for review but I dropped it, now I can't find the thing!
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am guessing these are made from dilithium fuel crystals?
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perfect for self-defense at the airport!

Expect some calls from Washington -- our legislators have demonstrated past eagerness to ban weapons that don't really exist.....
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darn,

For two seconds I got really excited!!! I went to Albion's website before seeing this thread... I was hoping it was an XVIIIc or the massive beautiful XXII that Peter has Illustrated in the past in the Albion catalog...

The shipping and handling of your new piece is a deal breaker though....
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm actually starting to get really disappointed with Albions model selections. I mean it's all very well if you are into high medieval cruciform hilts but what about a more complex hilted sword, or even a migration period piece.

All they look like they've done here is taken something along the lines of the Knight and built it with a new material. I mean whoop de friggin do guys, talk about lazy design. I am really starting to loose faith in the Albion brand and I think my money would be better spent on a 5lb Excalibur replica I saw the other day.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
How much is it? I must have one to display on my wall!

You already do!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally I can carry a sword around with me at all times and not have a SWAT TEAM show up because I'm scaring people but I need a matching invisible scabbard since wearing a " normal " scabbard with this sword is stupid looking and still leads to odd looks: Obviously carrying the sword without the scabbard is a little risky ! One can put it down and not be able to find it or one can accidentally cut through a structural column with that wicked concrete cutting mono-molecular edge.

Oh, not to mention a crowded subway at rush hour ....... very embarrassing if one forgets where the sword is pointing.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
I'm actually starting to get really disappointed with Albions model selections. I mean it's all very well if you are into high medieval cruciform hilts but what about a more complex hilted sword, or even a migration period piece.

I too hope for more museum level reproductions, migration period, XVIIIc, and XXII are high on my list ....

Last edited by Chris Artman on Wed 01 Apr, 2009 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword just perfectly matches the very fine outfit I got last year around the same time! (That was made by some guy who also worked for an emperor!) I can't wait for the next Faire, to walk around and show off! Big Grin
School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

SHOOT!
Just my luck I already blew my sword budget on a Frodo's Ninja Batlef from the BudK catalog.

Rats!

Doug Gentner
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan MacDonald wrote:
Should go well with the transparent Kilt Eek!

I was going to get an invisible kilt, but I just couldn't see wearing one. Worried

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just saw the announcement for this sword and I feel as a responsible person I need to offer an apology to the community for nearly a two year delay in the sword getting to market. . .

I can't remember how long ago it was, but I stopped by Albion's shop to drop off a first-gen Agincourt for a cleaning. Not that I knew it at the time (as the project was super top secret for obvious reasons), but the Mark I prototype was sitting near Howy's desk (not that he knew it at the time either, it seems). A long while later, I ordered a Liechtenauer trainer and just told Mike to throw it in the rifle case I brought the Agincourt in and I'd stop to pick it up.

I seem to always have time to stop late on Fridays, which is a short day at Albion. So, Mike put my sword and case by Howy's desk so I could pick it up after he had left without having to get back into his locked office. About a week later, to my surprise, I saw the MKI prototype in the case with my trainer. (FYI: the MKI was actually a very slender and pretty XVIIIa that was literally feather light in hand, and it had a little bit of a greenish tint to it - Albion was still working some kinks out of the heat treat to keep the transparency right, I guess.) It hadn't gone through final grind yet, so I guess I'm one of the lucky few to have seen this beast and walk away unscathed.

Anyway, I threw it back in the car and figured I'd swing by the shop on Monday after work (I drive around for my job a lot) to get it back. Well, somehow when pulling parts out of my car, our delivery guy at work mistook the thing for scrap aluminum (which we have a lot of at times in our office), and took it to the recyclers. I found this out Thursday after seeing the announcement on Albion's site (our driver fessed up, and I got so busy that week I had it, I had completely forgot about the sword until a few days ago).

So, I guess Albion must have figured the MKI just got lost somewhere in the shop (understandable), and just started back from scratch to build up the MKII. No one ever told me about it because the project was under wraps, and I never said anything having honestly forgotten all about it, so in short, we are at today and what I think is a couple year delay now to production.

Sorry, guys. My bad.

Wink

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Hard to Find Sword Offering from Albion
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: