Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Test Cutting with an Albion Crecy War Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Raza Fahim

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Test Cutting with an Albion Crecy War Sword         Reply with quote

Hi All,
I recently purchased and Albion Crecy War Sword, my very first Albion Sword. I just wanted to know, what have you gentlemen cut through(Those that own an Albion Crecy) with your Crecy War Sword? I haven't really had time to cut with mine, but I wanted to know what aside from plastic bottles you can cut with this sword. Thank you all for your time. Good day.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this one of the original "first" generation Crecy, or "Next Generation" models?

I had a first generation one that was slightly rebated .(Slight blunting was per my request prior to shipping, it was my first sword purchase.) Even slightly rebated, cutting a 1" (25 mm) diameter green wood tree limb was surprisingly easy. In the blunted state, plastic water bottles were nearly impossible to cut through rather than knocking them off supports. Steel objects such as garage door guide rails took some nasty nicks while going through early practice drills with it though. (The slightly blunted blade did not show any damage after nicking the garage door rail.. which I had to replace for acceptable door operation. I would guess that to be pretty darn good blade durability.)

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello; the Next Gen Crecy was my first sword too Happy I love it!

I've cut pumpkins, milk/soda bottles, and pool noodles with mine. I think it's a very good all-around performer in terms of hard, medium, and soft targets.

As for what it *can* cut, I'd imagine it can cut anything that a sword can reasonably be expected to cut, as in not trees, concrete, cars, metal, garage doors, etc. I would guess it would do fine with tatami or meat products in addition to what I've tested on.

I hope this helps.

www.addisondelisle.com
Raza Fahim

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, and I should have specified. I meant the Next Generation Crecy War Sword.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have often the Crecy at demonstrations, cutting rolls of wet newspaper with a core of Fusiotherm plastic pipes (to mimic living bone), as well as japanese straw mats.
If you choose to cut vegetables, like pumpkins or even pork or meat, you should only think about having a towel or cloth at hand to wipe the sword down.
I normally have one dry rag and one prepared with oil, to wipe blades on during demos. I use several swords and find it handy to wipe them clean after each cutting so that no residue is left on the blade for the remainder of the presentation. It is tedious work to clean afterwards.
With only one sword, it is less a hassle, but it can easily be avoided all together.

Here is a link to a thread where I describe the use of Fusitherm as a simulation of bone in practice targets:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...fusiotherm

When you cut, please make sure you are aware of safety. Secure footing, awareness of your surroundings is critically important. Knowing how easily you can sever targets, should be a reminder of the importance of full awareness and focus.

Good luck and much enjoyment!
Raza Fahim

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this information. I am trying to get an idea of what is suitable and historically accurate simulation of practice targets.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Test Cutting with an Albion Crecy War Sword         Reply with quote

Raza Fahim wrote:
Hi All,
I recently purchased and Albion Crecy War Sword, my very first Albion Sword. I just wanted to know, what have you gentlemen cut through(Those that own an Albion Crecy) with your Crecy War Sword? I haven't really had time to cut with mine, but I wanted to know what aside from plastic bottles you can cut with this sword. Thank you all for your time. Good day.

I really like to cut through sapling trees with my Crecy. Obviously, depending upon where you live, this may not be an option. In general, it's best to cut through saplings that are either in an area where they will be removed anyways, or somewhere that's away from people. They're an excellent cutting medium because they offer some resistance to a cut. It can be difficult to penetrate them with a lot of the cuts, but they do force you to have good form and edge alignment in a way that bottles do not.
Carl W.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Test Cutting with an Albion Crecy War Sword         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I really like to cut through sapling trees with my Crecy. Obviously, depending upon where you live, this may not be an option. In general, it's best to cut through saplings that are either in an area where they will be removed anyways, or somewhere that's away from people.

I'd think this is would be frowned on if not illegal in most places, unless its on your own property.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
I have often the Crecy at demonstrations, cutting rolls of wet newspaper with a core of Fusiotherm plastic pipes (to mimic living bone), as well as japanese straw mats.
If you choose to cut vegetables, like pumpkins or even pork or meat, you should only think about having a towel or cloth at hand to wipe the sword down.
I normally have one dry rag and one prepared with oil, to wipe blades on during demos. I use several swords and find it handy to wipe them clean after each cutting so that no residue is left on the blade for the remainder of the presentation. It is tedious work to clean afterwards.
With only one sword, it is less a hassle, but it can easily be avoided all together.

Here is a link to a thread where I describe the use of Fusitherm as a simulation of bone in practice targets:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...fusiotherm

When you cut, please make sure you are aware of safety. Secure footing, awareness of your surroundings is critically important. Knowing how easily you can sever targets, should be a reminder of the importance of full awareness and focus.

Good luck and much enjoyment!

Thank you Peter! This sounds like an excellent cutting target. I will have to try this with the goal of replacing expensive (to ship) tatami for NYHFA's cutting practice. I really like the double pipe simulating double bone idea.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Test Cutting with an Albion Crecy War Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic