Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > first hilt made!! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: first hilt made!!         Reply with quote

Hi all! i made my first hilt a week ago (because i didn't have some hard wood for the handle). i took a ball peen hammer handle for the handle that i just split it in two and used dremel tool to carve for the tang. its really a simple hilt with its wheel pommel and straight cross-guard.

i'll post a picture of it when i found my camera.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At last i found my camera heres the pics sorry for the quality and please dont judge of the quality of the sword its my first

Attachment: 33.12 KB
épée 1.JPG

Attachment: 33.71 KB
épée 2.JPG

Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

first to compliment!

A very nice job and a historical look (more than most sword...)

Are you confortable with a grip so narrow?
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

there is still to put some leather on it with maybe 3 risers but for now it fit a little loose in the hand but im gonna fix it.

And thanks for the compliment gabriele i appreciate it.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that i think about it maybe i should modify my sword a bit...

the center of balance is poor (nearly 6 inch from guard Confused ) so i have a little question.

When this kind of thing arrives should i put a thicker guard or a bigger pommel?

pommel: 1 1/2 inch
crossguard: 1/4 inch thick

it confuse me because its my first sword and i want it to be agile yet powerfull in hand so what about it???
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
At last i found my camera heres the pics sorry for the quality and please dont judge of the quality of the sword its my first

I know you asked us not to judge, but I am going to anyway. It is very nice. Sure, your later attempts will be better, since they will incorporate the lessons you learned from this one, but from what I can see it is pretty clean, has a good finish, fullers are straight, isn't out of proportion. All up, a good sword. For a "first" it is an extreemly good sword, well done
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm...
Looks nice enough. May I ask a few questions about the construction? What'd you make the crossguard and pommel out of? Is the pommel peened? Looks like string was wrapped around the hilt, how'd you make it stay tied down? (Kind of curious since I'm plotting a hilt-switch in the future.)

Edit: And what sword did you start with anywho?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
Now that i think about it maybe i should modify my sword a bit...

the center of balance is poor (nearly 6 inch from guard Confused ) so i have a little question.

When this kind of thing arrives should i put a thicker guard or a bigger pommel?

pommel: 1 1/2 inch
crossguard: 1/4 inch thick

it confuse me because its my first sword and i want it to be agile yet powerful in hand so what about it???

Handling depends somewhat on use and style of sword and 6" is not terrible for a cutting sword if it still feel " right ".

The Albion Gaddhjalt has a similar POB but it is meant as a powerful cutting sword best used from horseback or with a shield. http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_gadd.html POB 6 3/4" from guard !

Adding weight to the pommel and guard might improve handling but it seems that distal and profile taper of the blade is an important factor also. What is the total weight of the sword?

Short answer is that without a lot more information about pivot points etc .... it's hard to be certain from just what you have show us if the handling is O.K. or not ? Depends on what you want though as there are a lot of subtleties involved.

The sword looks good but the handle cord looks a bit rough ? This might just be the pic or the fact that it hasn't been covered with leather yet. Wink

Nice job with the guard and pommel and you might blue the hilt furniture ?

Oh, you might look at this Topic about sword dynamics and maybe send Vincent a P.M. where he could give some advice how to measure for the dynamics of your sword and then he might be able to tell you how they seem to him using his calculations and modelling of handling characteristics ?
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=40

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those who think i made the blade, i bought the blade from darksword armoury it was a over production so it was not expensive and i did some polishing on the blade to give a better finnish (it has some scratch on it but no big deal)

The pommel and guard are made of a simple flat bar of steel and a BIG rod.

The pommel is not peened but is very tight (Can't even turn the pommel now. I feel like its wielded on the tang Laughing Out Loud )

For the wrap i used some glue and double sided tape (its tougher than u think). The cord is tightly wrapped on the handle but still i will put some leather over it with maybe three risers.

If the handle is 5 inch is it classed in the bastard sword? the handling is better when i use it with my two hands.

Oh! And i forgot to say that the cord is jute (at least its the term in french if its the good term in english then its good) its a little rough but its doing the job fine.

good idea jean but i dont know where to find chemical blue...can we found it at canadian tire?
Michel Pérusse

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you can find some at Canadian Tires but I'm sure you can find some at the two different Le Baron/Baron Sport stores. There is one in the liquid form and another in cream/paste form. The cream one is supposed to end up more even in less applications. Nice job by the way!
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there anyone with advice to give to make axes, daggers, swords, etc?

and for the weight of my sword i don't have a scale but in estimation it could be 2 3/4 pounds or maybe 3 (heavy but i need a scale to weight it.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > first hilt made!!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic