Go to page Previous  1, 2

Glued is fine with me and apparently o.k. historically. It's the price of leather that turns me off. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. What do you reckon it costs you for one scabbard?
Sean Flynt wrote:
Glued is fine with me and apparently o.k. historically. It's the price of leather that turns me off. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. What do you reckon it costs you for one scabbard?

I don't remember exactly, but I use light leather (maybe 2-3oz) and I think one piece cost me about 50 bucks but that's enough for three scabbards so far and maybe three or four more to go.
I like the balsa solution as well, I'm amazed more people haven't thought of it.
I've made a scabbard out of poplar and it took me ages, and it cracked (though not fatally)..
A solution to the leather question is to not use leather - lots of historical scabbards are wrapped in velvet or other materials... this is a lot cheaper (now days) than leather, of course. Just chop up an old pair of curtains... :)

Matt
Sean,

Michael's estimation is about right though I just checked and found out I actually bought half a cowhide of veg tan leather at leprevo.co.uk for £23 pounds+carriage ($33 dollars). I have at least enough for 3 longsword scabbards and probaly a couple of daggers too.

I wouldn't compromise on the leather as veg tan makes for a great finish, molds very well (shapes arounds risers perfectly, allows for carving, takes dye like no other leathers etc) and is overall great to work with. Stitching the back is no brainer either and is can be done in 3 hours or so.

Cheers,

J
Wow. I really was looking in the wrong place or at the wrong leather. What I saw at Tandy was much more expensive.
Sean Flynt wrote:
Wow. I really was looking in the wrong place or at the wrong leather. What I saw at Tandy was much more expensive.

I used to buy everything here: http://www.hidehouse.com/

They're not the cheapest, but man, what a selection.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: