Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Germanic basket-hilts from EB Erickson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Germanic basket-hilts from EB Erickson         Reply with quote

As many of you might know, I've been very lucky to have several swords created by E.B. Erickson and have shown them before in a forum topic.

I pulled out the swords today and started to play around with them. Some of them, being later period in style, have a threaded tang nut and allow for them to be disassembled. I took them apart and started to mix and match some pieces.

I took photos (with a point-and-shoot camera--please forgive the quality), and wanted to share them here.

The two swords being discussed here Germanic basket-hilts.

From top to bottom, they are:

Sword #1: E.B. Erickson Germanic Basket-hilt
Another "continental" basket-hilt variety, this sword is a result of a collaborative effort between E.B. Erickson and Angus Trim. The sword is based on an antique in ElJay's own collection. This style of hilt was quite common and this replica is a good representation of the type. It has a tight wire-wrapped grip and long flaring quillons. The blade is a special ATrim back-blade designed for this hilt and roughly based on the original's design.

Sword #2: E.B. Erickson Germanic Basket-hilt
This ia very unique "continental" basket-hilt. The construction methodology is very much like that of a schiavona, having each bar only attached to the cross and knuckle-bow. This piece was based on a few different swords, including an antique in EBE's own collection and another antique found at the Museum of Border Arms and Armour, Scotland. This hilt is mounted on a blade made by E.B. Erickson.

I've always loved the types of baskets shown on Sword #1. They're really interesting to me. While I like the sword, I never really loved the blade mated to the hilt. I don't feel it represents many of the antiques that are known to us. Dynamically, it feels great, but I just don't think it was a good choice for the hilt. It's always bothered me. So I wondered what it would be like if I switched some stuff around.

Sword #1 shown mated to the blade from Sword #2 and its original blade shown unmounted below:

Taking it further, I wondered how it would look having Sword #1's hilt mated to the other fittings and blade from Sword #2:

The ironic thing about all this mix-and-match is that each combination feels absolutely great! I don't know what that is other than random luck, but it's an interesting side effect. It's also interesting how different of a character all these combination create.

So, what's the upshot of this whole experimentation? Well, I don't want to screw with Sword #2, as I think it's perfect as it is and won't permanently sacrifice the pieces for the other sword. So, I guess that means I'm going to need to find a way to get a new blade created for Sword #1 that better fits the hilt. I suppose this means I have yet another thing to try to justify in terms of expense, which likely means it will have to wait for quite some time. Oh well!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my opinion the experiment is worth waiting.Don't forget to post the results! Cool
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I notice the blade for the second hilt has a small indentation to invite the index finger across the guard under the protection of an annelet. Where did that blade come from?

For a new blade for the first hilt, are bare Del Tin blades available anywhere? Does Darkwood Armoruy sell them? They do sell bare blades, but I'm not sure who makes them or if they would work with this hilt.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I notice the blade for the second hilt has a small indentation to invite the index finger across the guard under the protection of an annelet. Where did that blade come from?

That blade was created by EB Erickson.

Quote:
For a new blade for the first hilt, are bare Del Tin blades available anywhere? Does Darkwood Armoruy sell them? They do sell bare blades, but I'm not sure who makes them or if they would work with this hilt.

I could look into it, but I'd prefer to send it to somebody like A&A or Ollin and have them make something that works as a whole. If I were to buy a bare blade and try to fit two pre-made things together myself I'd likely end up not too far from where I started Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't know that he made blades as well as hilts. Another facet of his artistic genius.

You're right about not importing a pre-existing blade. It would be a hope-to-get-lucky gamble. It might look good, but would likely be unbalanced.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

I didn't know that he made blades as well as hilts. Another facet of his artistic genius.

He was using a Thai smith to make the blades. They were rough, but well made. He then would carefully change the shaping and whatnot as needed after heat-treatment. I'm not sure if this is an option anymore, as I believe the Thai smith is no longer available to him. ElJay's blade work is amazing in terms of his ability with shaping and details. He's just not equipped to do the heat-treatment in his current situation.

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Germanic basket-hilts from EB Erickson         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
This piece was based on a few different swords, including an antique in EBE's own collection and another antique found at the Museum of Border Arms and Armour, Scotland. This hilt is mounted on a blade made by E.B. Erickson.

Too bad the image in the first link isn't downloadable. I understand why the feature might be disabled for an image of a sword in a private collection, though.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Germanic basket-hilts from EB Erickson
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic