Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help on affordable wasters Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Help on affordable wasters         Reply with quote

Hey everyone, Im trying to fine cheep and affordable wasters.

http://www.swordsofhonor.com/2hawosw.html

I was wondering if anyone had advice on these because these seem so cheap i'm almost circumspect.

Anybody have personal experience with these?

E Pluribus Unum
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These they might be an interesting option ?
http://www.coldsteel.com/bokkens.html

I would buy them in pairs since they might work best against each other but might be weird if used against wood and certainly not a good idea to mix steel blunts and wooden wasters or in this case polypropylene wasters !

I have a couple of these as well as the daggers on order but I haven't handled them so I don't know if they work well compared to wood: Durability should be good but how they feel in the bind in contact with each other or with a parry ? If they are as good as wood they should be worth it and if they are better than wood at simulating the feel of steel on steel blunts they would be better than wood as a training sword.

If/when my order comes in I can report on it as I will show them to the director of my longsword group and he can use them and tell me if he thinks they are worth getting. ( Well at least foir others but I'm taking the chance as they don't cost a fortune).

Anyway there are a lot of good wasters out there by different makers but these are a different option worth looking into.

Anyone tried these out there ?

Oh, I don't know the vendor you mentioned in your Topic so I can't help you there but I'm sure others will be able to.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Shira

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: New Stirling Arms         Reply with quote

I highly recommend New Stirling Arms for wasters.

They may be more expensive than those from the link provided in the initial post; however, when I bought mine several years ago, I received a waster that is still very well balanced, is weighted correctly, is durable, and has a warranty against breakage during normal use within the first year of purchase. After all these years, my longsword waster is holding strong, my dusack held up very well when pit against a metal sword (a bit of sandpaper removed the damage from where the metal sword repeatedly hit it), and my rondel dagger still looks new.

With New Stirling Arms, you get more than a mere "waster," you are investing in a high quality training tool.

http://www.newstirlingarms.com/

I hope this helps you out.

(Craig)

David Teague

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help on affordable wasters         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:
Hey everyone, Im trying to fine cheep and affordable wasters.

http://www.swordsofhonor.com/2hawosw.html

I was wondering if anyone had advice on these because these seem so cheap i'm almost circumspect.

Anybody have personal experience with these?

Yes.

They are.... junk. Cheap, light weight. can break within the first 3 min of use. Save your money and buy better.

I too have a set of the Cold Steel hand & a half's on order but they keep bumping the shipping dates back. Nobody I know on the internet has owned a pair yet.

I have a set of New Stirling Arms messers that are quite nice and a set of Purpleheart Armoury's longswords that are nice.
Both companies make good wasters.

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replys. Those wasters seemed like they were too cheap to be true. However due to my limited funds (and its worse because I want to buy a steel waster for practice but want to get these so I can practice with friends and try to get them into it.

Does anyone else think 42 inches is a little short? I was under the impression that longswords avg length was 46'' to50''.

E Pluribus Unum
David Teague

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

42 inches?

Which one are you talking about? The Cold Steel one at 44 inches?

It's a hand & a half (aka bastard sword) and it's still long enough to use as a "long sword".

My first steel blunt was a hand & a half and worked just fine for learning the German longsword.

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Anthony Riopel

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about wooden gladii? I noticed that the gladii listed on New Stirling Arms are all listed as decorative only, and I can't seem to find any Gladii that are made for sparring.... does anyone know of a reputable site that sells any?

Only site i've come across is purple heart armoury, but i'm not to sure without any experience buying these.

Be wary the wrath of a patient man.
Douglas Peters

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anthony Riopel wrote:
Only site i've come across is purple heart armoury, but i'm not to sure without any experience buying these.

I think they're very good, although I don't have anything to compare them to. Got a long and short sword from them a long while back, so I don't know about the gladii.

Anyway, the short sword is still good. I think the only reason the long sword broke was due to full power "practice" on a standing pell, which wasn't a good idea at all in retrospect (both for the wasters and my hands). Even then it wasn't a catastrophic failure, just a split in the handle and blade (so bad edge alignment may have been a factor too).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help on affordable wasters
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic