Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pics or Info on Medieval Sword-hilt Sabers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Pics or Info on Medieval Sword-hilt Sabers?         Reply with quote

I am working on an idea for a custom saber much like the one in the lower center of this photo from the Musee des Invalides in Paris:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/484.html

I'm referring to the curved saber that has a hilt much like a typical medieval European arming sword. The one that's tip disappears behind the pistol barrel at the bottom of the photo.

Also, a similar sword is the 2nd from the right in this photo from the Inviledes Armour 2002 gallery:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/12936.html

Can anyone provide any background, or sources to investigate, on either of these two swords and/or any others of similar hilt and blade design? I'm particularly interested in finding examples that have a saber or kilij-like blade with a yelman, combined with a typical European-style hilt. I realize that some dussacks technically fit this description, but I'm interested in swords with longer and somewhat thinner blades.

Thanks for any help you could provide.
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you might should like for some 'kriegsmessers'.

http://www.armorymarek.com/katalog/dusacks/index.html

He makes beautifull pieces and also does custom work
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you. I really have a love affair with messers of all sizes. And those are beautiful.

But this particular project is concerned with sword-hilt sabers. In particular, with something resembling early Hungarian or Polish sabers with a modest, or even pronounced yelman. I'm trying to find out how common, or even if it would be plausible to find a European saber with a yelman and a sword hilt dating from the 15th or 16th century.
Lukasz Papaj

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a drawing of supposed sabres from altar in St. Sebald church in Nuremberg, sculpted by Veit Stoss. Not sure about altar's date but Stoss was in Nuremberg from 1473 to 1477 and 1496 to 1506 , and before death too. (1533)
There are also the Bathory sabres from second half of XVI c. One is Zeghauz in Berlin, other In Museum of Krasinski Ordination in Warsaw ... not sure if they're not to late for your application. Also the typical Magyar-Polish hilt style starts to appear on latter date

Attachment: 49.54 KB
EarlySabres_Vit_Stwosz.jpg
Early sabres Veit Stoss St. Sebald Nuremberg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pics or Info on Medieval Sword-hilt Sabers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic