Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A March Highlight - Sale and New Items! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: A&A March Highlight - Sale and New Items!         Reply with quote

March Highlight Extravaganza from Arms & Armor

The March Highlight Special is 15% off all in stock items. Check out the details at ARMS & ARMOR News. We encourage everyone to strike a blow against the economic dragon by supporting your favorite sword maker!

Also watch for some new items to appear in the next few days! Here is a teaser for everyone.

Training Rapier with several blade options.

Chinese Sword with sharp and training versions of blade.

Hope everyone is having a good spring! Happy
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is awesome. I remember asking you about those training rapiers a while ago... happy to see they are going to production. The jian is a nice addition too.
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Steven Reich

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own two of those practice 'rapiers' (I use them for Bolognese Swordsmanship) and I love them. In fact, I'm holding one in my avatar (although you can't really tell).

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking about using them for this kind of purpose too... Steven, is there any chance you can post a picture of the whole rapier (tip included) ? Are yours mounted with rebated blades, or nail blades ?

Have a nice day.

Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven has posted some details and images of his practice swords in this thread:

http://salvatorfabris.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Took advantage of the sale to get the square targa that I've been wanting for Bolognese practice. Was tempted to get more, but I already have too many sword related things in queue that I'll still have to pay off, so I decided better of it.

I've handled the rapier trainers with both nail headed rapier blades as well as the blade on the A&A Scholar sword. They are quite nice, and I highly recommend them.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll have to call tomorrow, there are a few things I want to get.... talk soon!
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I look forward to hearing about and seeing more photos of the jian.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many blessings to you Craig!

To those who aren't familiar with Arms & Armor, I purchased my first A&A sword nearly a decade ago (still have it!) and it's still an absolutely sublime piece - Schloss Erbach, ca. 2000. Since then, I've owned several over the years so I think I can personally attest to A&A's quality. Nowadays, I'm particularly drawn to the English longsword! Wink

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Some more details for everyone.         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Sorry I have not commented sooner, its been a very hectic time in the shop. The training rapiers have been in development for a while and as Steve commented we have had them out there being used to make sure they would meet the needs we where striving to fill for the WMA community. The blades will be of a couple different varieties so the piece can be used for particular style of rapier and sword play.

As an example here is a pic of a milanese rapier and three blades al made to fit the hilt. The sword is on a sharp. Next to the rapier is a blade with a rectangular cross section. This works well for side sword style play where there is a good deal of cutting. This blade would be similar to the type found on our Scholar trainer. The nail style blade at the bottom starts out with a diamond cross section and transitions to a rectangular section in the foible. This allows for more flex at the tip for use in thrusting, this blade can be done with or without a button. Many today use rubber tips for safety and some prefer to not have the metal button for easy of fit of the tip.

More info to come as I get a chance to post more. Happy Have to keep the home remodel project moving or I am a dead man.

PS Yes Steve thats your sword.
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Craig, thank you very much for the last picture. It's very nice to have multiple blade options from which you can choose...

I'd like to order one, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the different blade options...

Steven Reich

PostPosted: Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Some more details for everyone.         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
PS Yes Steve thats your sword.

Yes, and I can't wait to try it out this week when it arrives (along with the Gustav Vasa)...

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Wow Craig, thank you very much for the last picture. It's very nice to have multiple blade options from which you can choose...

I'd like to order one, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the different blade options...

Of course the solution is to do what I did and get all three. Wink

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Thank you Ed         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Many blessings to you Craig!

To those who aren't familiar with Arms & Armor, I purchased my first A&A sword nearly a decade ago (still have it!) and it's still an absolutely sublime piece - Schloss Erbach, ca. 2000. Since then, I've owned several over the years so I think I can personally attest to A&A's quality. Nowadays, I'm particularly drawn to the English longsword! Wink

Thank you for the kind words Ed. Its always great to hear from past customers especially those who have supported us for so long. Thats one of the best things about being in this line of work, the people who you work with, for and the colleagues in the same business. Especially when things are tough its the supporting and standing together that will help all of us.

Be well my friend
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Jian Specs         Reply with quote

Chris Lampe wrote:
I look forward to hearing about and seeing more photos of the jian.

Hi Chris

Here are the basic specs for the sword.

OL: 40"
BL: 32"
Grip length: 5.625"

Weight about 2.2 lbs (this can run from in the 2.1 to 2.4 range depending on details like if the blade has the ricasso or not, there would of course be additional fees for alterations from the standard model)

I will try to get an overall pic up later today. I had the flash set incorrectly when I shoot the Ol pics so I have to reshoot.

Best
Craig
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on the jian! Any sword purchase will have to wait 6-18 months as we are building a house but I used birthday money and took advantage of the March special and ordered the 12th century spear that I've been coveting for several years now. I think several javelins will soon follow and I really like the Iberian mace and the Nordic Axe and I REALLY wanted that Greek spear from the muster page. I guess I'll have to put them all on the wish-list.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Jian OL pic         Reply with quote

Here is the Jian overall pic.

I also forgot to mention the hilt parts will be available in steel and bronze, though bronze would be the more traditional.

Best
Craig
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's pretty neat, Craig! What made you guys decide to branch out into the Chinese world?
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The jian looks really nice! It's great to see one of the major reproduction companies branching out in this direction!
Gabriele Becattini

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,

have you already tought about a matching dagger for your training rapier?

cheers

Gabriele
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Jian story         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
That's pretty neat, Craig! What made you guys decide to branch out into the Chinese world?

Hi Guys

It was a fortuitous series of events that brought this about. Several years ago I was lucky enough to make the acquaintance Sifu Ray Hayward of the Twin Cities T'ai-Chi Ch'uan Studio, St Paul MN. I do a lot of lecturing to groups and schools and he asked me to lecture to his students and a social group he is a member of. His school has also toured the shop a couple of times as well, seeing how we make items and the research that goes into our product. As I learned over time, Sifu Hayward has been practicing and teaching these arts for approximately 36 years and only rarely have I had as insightful questions and understanding of the principles of how I approach making and describing swords as I have seen from he and his students. As we got to know each other better and discussed swords quite a bit Happy he expressed a need for a better training sword and practice weapon for his students. He asked us to develop this piece for his school’s use.

The sword is based on a circa 1880 antique sword named the “Blue Copper Sword”, which is Sifu Hayward’s personal sword. We have worked hard to develop a piece that gives the practitioner the feeling of the original sword with a well-tempered blade excellent for both rebated training and, if sharpened, for solo forms and cutting practice. As anyone who has handled a Chinese sword like this knows the sword needs to have a very nice flowing action and while the last third of the blade does have some good flex it is not the very thin flexible type often seen on the mass market pieces. The swords have been performing quite well and the members of the school have the option of having the schools logo etched on the guard or blade.

Sifu Hayward will also be offering these through his site and school and it was a real collaboration to produce something that his long experience and knowledge informed and critiqued for a high quality piece designed for a lifetime of use.

We hope that this will be a sword that many who practice the Chinese Jian forms will appreciate and feel is a benefit to their practice.

Best
Craig

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A March Highlight - Sale and New Items!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: