Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gotaland Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Gotaland Sword         Reply with quote

I did a search on this one and found nothing, so here goes:

I've found for sale, a "Gotaland Sword", which is supposedly a real replica. One of its features is a ring at the base of the pommel, which is said to have an unknown purpose. See here: http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-280-gotaland-sword.aspx

However, I've also come across a mention of how some Norse in sagas hung their swords from their wrists with straps so as to use a polearm or similar weapon and then be able to switch to the sword simply by dropping the polearm and flicking the wrist. See here: http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manu..._sword.htm (Near the bottom, by the picture of such a get-up on the left.)

So, assuming the sword is an actual replica, then is it possible that such a strap arrangement was the purpose of the ring?
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
The sword you show is a very nice looking sword but it is not based off an original, the sword is based off the sword from the movie Beowulf&Grendel which in turn was based on this sword.
http://www.kp-art.fi/jt/miekat/img/rengasmiekka.jpg

I would not advise buying the sword you posted of all Museum Replicas products, functionally this is the worst. The bone spacers are made of plastic and the metal hilt components are zinc just screwed into place. The sword falls apart when it strikes something. A person I know nearly cut himself when he tried to cut a pumpkin and the blade snapped off and went flying. If you do not intend to cut with this sword then it is fine but be advised the sword is unsafe for any type of "use".

As to your pommel ring theory...
No one knows for sure the true purpose of the ring but it is thought to be ceremonial or religious. The problem with any theory that involves the ring having a practical theory is that occasionally the ring was solid (with no hole) which would make it so you could not attatch a strap as you suggest.
Best,
Hadrian
P.s. Good luck on your sword hunt Big Grin

Last edited by Hadrian Coffin on Tue 10 Mar, 2009 10:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I wasn't going to buy that thing. I was just wondering about it's appearance and the whole strapping to the wrist thing.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: rings         Reply with quote

Peter Johnson explained the ring hilts in his posting of february 12th dealing with 5thy and 6th century sword questions. I tried to reproduce the quote but haven't got the knack of that as yet.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15586
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: rings         Reply with quote

thank you Luka
Bon coeur et bon bras

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gotaland Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic