Roger Hooper wrote:

Gert-Jan, what you have is a messer/hauswehr rather falchion.

No falchion? I always thought that it is an Falchion, here i've got an picture where it shows the blade.

Attachment: 51.97 KB
X24-.jpg

Oooh, this is a rare type of a messer, a stubby cleaver-like implement that probably was a part of a hunting trouse. I remember seeing a similar original one for sale in Budapest. It is not common to see even a repro of this knife.
Who is the maker?
Hi Gert-Jan,
Cleaver from a Hunting Trousse, here are some 15th Cent examples.
Regards,
Norman.
P.S. I did read somewhere once that Falchion type weapons may have had their roots in early butchering implements.
Sa'ar Nudel wrote:
Oooh, this is a rare type of a messer, a stubby cleaver-like implement that probably was a part of a hunting trouse. I remember seeing a similar original one for sale in Budapest. It is not common to see even a repro of this knife.
Who is the maker?

The creator is an Czech Smith named Pavel Marek.
He's got more on www.armorymarek.com

My breastplate, poleaxe and gauntlets are from him as well

greetings,

Gert
I rather like that romanesque scabbard for the last cleaver.

M.
To chime in with those who has already posted:
IŽd say it looks like the big chopping knife from a hunting set. I would not date it to the 15th C, but rather to the 16th C. Perhaps even the latter half, but "dating" is tricky on modern replicas that aspire to a historical style. Most elements are easily recognized in knives from the mid to late 16th C, however.
As a knife it is more the tool of a hunter with a good budget. It is not primarily a blade youŽd expect a soldier to carry to a fight.
I've seen a lot of debates over how to exactly define what is a messer and what is a falchion. However it is generally accepted that the main defining point is the hilt construction rather than the blade. Messer's have a typical knife style hilt where as falchions use a sword hilt style construction.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: