Identifying an antique dagger
Hello, looking in help in identifying an antique dagger I picked up today. No makers mark, full distal taper. It's at least from WWII if not before. It came from a weapons collector's estate sale. It's 10 3/8ths inches long, 6 1/8th inch blade. The blade at the widest is 7/8ths of an inch. The handle is wood, the furniture appears to be brass. The pommel as crisscross markings on the side, with a slithing floret shaped end. It is peened over. very clean and neat. Came with a leather sheathe, don't know if it's the original sheathe or not, but it is older leather. I have close ups of the different sections and the sheathe, if that will help.
Thanks for any help.

it reminds me of the Vietnam-era stuff from the Philippines like the pieces shown in this topic: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14017

For me, the brass cross-guard and other hilt materials are spot-on, in particular the markings of the guard. The almost "backwards" manner in which the cross is placed (in that it's arching away from the tip of the blade) is nearly identical to some pieces I've seen of that era and type.
That's what it appears to be. At least related to it. Thanks for the information, it'll help narrowing in on this piece.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
it reminds me of the Vietnam-era stuff from the Philippines like the pieces shown in this topic: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14017

For me, the brass cross-guard and other hilt materials are spot-on, in particular the markings of the guard. The almost "backwards" manner in which the cross is placed (in that it's arching away from the tip of the blade) is nearly identical to some pieces I've seen of that era and type.

I agree that it was probably made in the Philippines. As mentioned in the earlier thread, there were numerous styles of blades made in the Philippines during the Vietnam War and this certainly has the major characteristics, including what appears to be a filed out blade.
That's what I've locked it down to be (thought I have yet to find one online just like it, most have kris blades) but after cleaning the blade up a little, it's definitely was filed to shape, you can still see some of the file marks that weren't polished out. Seems like good well tempered steel though, so it makes a nice little addition to the collection. Thanks for the help!
Michael, by any chance, does the guard on your dagger appear to be cast onto the blade? I have an antique dagger w/Kris blade that I wonder its origins. Its blade also appears filed, with neat peen on pommel. Just trying to get a bead on it. Thanks.
Yes, the guard appears to be cast on the blade, that or it's an insanely tight fight. the part of the guard that is on the handle is a separate piece. It does have a neat, small peen on the pommel. Check the link that's in this discussion, it has a picture of a kris blade from the same time.
Michael B. wrote:
That's what I've locked it down to be (thought I have yet to find one online just like it, most have kris blades) but after cleaning the blade up a little, it's definitely was filed to shape, you can still see some of the file marks that weren't polished out. Seems like good well tempered steel though, so it makes a nice little addition to the collection. Thanks for the help!

Most of the blades were made of leaf springs that were scavenged from wrecked jeeps and trucks. The brass was from shell casings.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: