Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Passing along the Passion... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Passing along the Passion...         Reply with quote

I'm sure many of you with children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews have considered it a joy when they show interest in your hobby of sword collecting. I know that has been the case for me with my youngest son, Nathan. He has always shown interest in my swords, but in the past year his fascination has really taken off. Now, with his 8th birthday approaching in March, the only present he has asked for is a sword.

Given his size and age, a real sword was out of the question. However, thanks to a post by Brandon B. on this thread, http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=198&start=700, I was able to pick up a nice aluminum sword for him that is just his size. I've made a scabbard and belt for the sword, and now I'm wondering what else I can add to make his birthday special. What does the young knight need to make his kit complete?

Are any of you aware of companies that make decent kit for the young knight? While at the Ren Fair in Charlotte, NC last year, I saw an wonderful great helm for kids. Though it was plastic, the styling and finish were so realistic I had to pick it up before I realized it wasn't metal. Unfortunately, I can't find them for sale anywhere on line.

Any recommendations would be greatly welcomed. Also, if you have young knights or ladies that you have passed your passion along to, please post some pics of their gear. I would love to see what others have come up with.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Robert W Tucker

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, Chris I do not have any pictures for you but I have seen some pretty cool knight out fits made for kids one thing I have seen done is making chain mail out of soda tabs it pretty extensive but the kids that were wearing them were pretty excited,
I have also seen card board glue, tape, and paint make really cool looking armor that was surprisingly durable this can be a good helmet making idea if you have the time. But my favorite for youths is leather its real it lasts for ever something when he's to old to fit in it he can proudly display in the corner of his home plus its a little more historical, or you could ad some pieces of butted aluminum rings to it just for the cool factor I recently picked up half of a cows worth of leather for a $100
dollars heavy armor grade stuff to it can easily be stained with olive oil for protection and it is a easy way to darken it as well
I hope these ideas can help you out and if end up using any of them post some pics.

Robert
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hey Chris....hope & pray all is well.

So glad to see that Nathan has "sparked" an interest. I know how meaningful it is to you and you know
of mine & Evan's , though not great, shared involvement has been.

As far as adding to Nathan's kit....I may dig around in some of Evan's past items to see what remains.

Take care......

cheers,

Bill

ps ran into Eddie Goode last week-end...was good to see and talk with him again.

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Bill. I was hoping you'd chime in on this. I was looking though some photos the other day and came across a few shots of a cutting party at your house, and there was Evan, right in the mix with everyone else.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

'ello Sir...

have you taken a look at MRL ans their "Narnia" items for kids?....

here's a quick peek of something that may be of interest.....

cheers,

Bill

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-619-childs-kn...-mail.aspx

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Historic Enterprises has a few things for kids.

You could also get some maille fabric from the ring lord and cut it to size.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat project. I have thought about this as well recently. My 2 year old loves my armour and weapons. He unloads my armour closet and tries the armour on. So far the only thing I have gotten him was some wooden swords at 12-18 months(which he uses everyday, drops one sword for you to use before he starts swinging!).

Here is Wade Allens site. He has made loads of armours for his son.
http://www.allenantiques.com/Reproductions-Collection.html

I would love to make some nice armour kit out for my son but I think even at 2 he is a bit too wild and I am a bit too busy still. Maybe an aketon next year.

RPM
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Passing along the Passion...         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:

Given his size and age, a real sword was out of the question. However, thanks to a post by Brandon B. on this thread, http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=198&start=700, I was able to pick up a nice aluminum sword for him that is just his size. I've made a scabbard and belt for the sword, and now I'm wondering what else I can add to make his birthday special. What does the young knight need to make his kit complete?

Are any of you aware of companies that make decent kit for the young knight? While at the Ren Fair in Charlotte, NC last year, I saw an wonderful great helm for kids. Though it was plastic, the styling and finish were so realistic I had to pick it up before I realized it wasn't metal. Unfortunately, I can't find them for sale anywhere on line.

Any recommendations would be greatly welcomed. Also, if you have young knights or ladies that you have passed your passion along to, please post some pics of their gear. I would love to see what others have come up with.

Chris

Might be a little expensive and not what you are looking for but Mercenary Tailor's has a smaller than normal sized spangenhelm ? http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...cts_id=135

The training swords by Coldsteel ( Hand and a half sword and the training dagger ):
http://www.coldsteel.com/bokkens.html

These look reasonnably nice and are reasonnably safe although they shouldn't be swung with wild abandon as they are not soft " nerflike " wasters. Buying a pair might be fun if you want to do some practice longsword training with him ???

Getting fencing masks would also be a good idea ?

Also if your son has a negative reaction to a " toy sword " in other words plastic you can tell him they are very grown up training swords and should be used responsibly. Wink Big Grin Doesn't hurt that they are almost indestructable.

The Ring Lord idea is good if you get a large sheet of their welded mail and just make a neck hole and use it as a mail poncho at not too great a price. ( Getting one of their mail shirts in the smaller sizes would be great, but again maybe more than you want to spend ):
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproduc...l+Clothing
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproduc...+of+Maille

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take a look at this site - http://www.noblearmory.com/aboutus.asp - they have aluminum swords, many of them made for kids.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger -- yes it was one of the Noble Armoury swords that I bought my son. I have to say, I was very well pleased with the quality.

Also, I finally tracked down the maker of the helmets I saw at the ren fair in Charlotte, NC. Here is the link to their site for anyone interested: http://www.rentoys.com/store/helmets.html I only saw the great helms, but the others look interesting as well.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Passing along the Passion...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic