Windlass "Norwegian Viking sword"
Have any of you handled this sword? What did you think? Handling/construction/accuracy?

Its on heavy discount atm and I might check it out. Want to get the forum consensus first though.

Externally, it bears a similar appearance to this find:

Attachment: 41.44 KB
[ Download ]
Re: Windlass "Norwegian Viking sword"
Ian Hutchison wrote:
Have any of you handled this sword? What did you think? Handling/construction/accuracy?

Its on heavy discount atm and I might check it out. Want to get the forum consensus first though.

Externally, it bears a similar appearance to this find:

Ian; If this is the "Norse Viking Sword" by Windlass I own one. It is a fairly well made sword from Windass, the blade being a decent rendition of a type X, the hilt is excellent, in my opinion, supposedly in solid silver and feels hefty enough to be. the scabbard is nothing to write home about but is serviceable. It has a nice "Viking Look" to it. It's not overly heavy at approximately 3 lbs. and feels good in the hand. At the price, I consider it a good purchase.

this is the Windlass "Norse Viking Sword". Is this the one you're speaking of? Hope this helps. Good luck.
Hello,

A few questions. Is the pommel peened? Did you order it sharpened? Much room in the grip? Or is this a "handshake" grip required piece. In other words did windlass make a longer grip to accommodate a more comfortable hammer grip (even though not as historical perhaps)?

Thanks.
Terry Crain wrote:
Hello,

A few questions. Is the pommel peened? Did you order it sharpened? Much room in the grip? Or is this a "handshake" grip required piece. In other words did windlass make a longer grip to accommodate a more comfortable hammer grip (even though not as historical perhaps)?

Thanks.

Terry,

I took advantage of the Windlass Clearance and got mine for quite cheap. Mine is not sharp, though that can be remedied quickly enough. The handshake is necessary, as the grip, while a little long, falls within historic variation, that the sides of the pommel/upper guard are very crisp, making it uncomfortable in the hammer. The grip is relatively awful, typical windlass, so I rewrapped mine in a sort of oxblood/magenta, and it looks (humbly) fantastic.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the piece, the guard is a strong Nickel Silver, not real silver, but definitely attractive enough, with and it doesn't require much maintenance. It is a bit heavy, but the guard and pommel balance out the sword very well, oh, and the clincher, at least for me (it was a very pleasant surprise) the wire accents are true, twisted wire.

Edit, it is peened, very cleanly (though of separate metals), and rings true when tapped.
Ah, thanks for the replies guys. I think I might go ahead and get this one. Another reason for choosing this one is it's a prime candidate to try my hand at re-wrapping the grip.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: